Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BEEPING at high RPMs

2001 SS LXI, 325 Monsoon. Fresh 15w40 Rotella, fresh filter, oil pressure 60-80ish running hard. (Difficult to tell due to the needle bounces all the time). Heres the issue, when I run 40+ mph I get a "Beeping" alert from under the dash. Keeps going until I shut the engine off and then restart. WHAT IS THAT?!!

• Like 1

Only three things will cause a beep in your 01 Monsoon.  High transmission temp, low oil pressure or high engine temp.  I would start by disconnecting those three sensors one at a time until beeping goes away, then figure out if it is a sensor problem or an actual problem (like transmission overheating).  My money is on a sensor being bad.

Edit:  The oil pressure sensor that causes an alarm is not the same sensor that feeds info to your dash oil pressure gauge.  It is the oil pressure switch.  Same with engine temp.  There are two sensors.  One feeds ECM, one feeds dash gauge.  So you could have good engine temp as shown on dash, but ECM thinks temp is high due to faulty sensor, and sets the beep.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info. Trying to identify where all of these sensors are and going through them. The alarm always seems to go off around 38-40 mph and stay on until the motor is shut down. I can run it for as long as I want at lower speed and no alarm. 

The ONLY thing Ive changed since last season is that I switched to 15w40 Rotella T from 5w40 Rotella synthetic. 

My oil pressure would peg the gauge when engine (oil) was cold, but settle into the 50-70 range at higher speeds as oil warmed up.  These gauges are not know for their accuracy.  I bet if you put a mechanical gauge on the engine you would not see 60-80 after the oil was warmed up.

Edited by RTS

One more thing I thought about and would investigate if I were you.  Your transmission has a cooler associated with it.  It is the cylindrical thing on the front of your engine in line with the water hoses.  Is that clogged up.  Could be that you are getting enough water flow to keep engine cool, but not enough to keep transmission cool at high speeds.  Your impeller good/newer?  Make sure the transmission cooler screen is not clogged with old impeller parts.

On mine, '00 LSV w/Monsoon, the malfunction indicator (MIL) from the MEFI signal is also connected warning sounder.

Found this out when I was reading the diagnostic codes, in addition to my test light flashing, I could hear the code sequence from the sounder.

RTS,

Once ignition is turned to the on position, all gauges do a little dance, there is "buzzing" coming from them somewhere then quits. Always done this and appears normal. The "beeping" occurs then and keeps going until the engine is started. This is the same beeping that occurs when the motor is run hard. 

Oil gauge wire near the filter.  Pulled this one off while the engine was running and the gauge went to zero, reinstalled. The other wire near the filter that is attached to the oil pressure sensor, pulled that off and drove boat, no change. Beep at high speed until engine off. Reinstalled. Both of theses sensors only have one wire each.

I did check the engine oil level, looks just a touch on the high side. 

Transmission oil is new and up to full line. I did pull the trans cooler apart and found just one chunk of an old impeller inside the honey comb area. Cleaned, reinstalled, tested, no change. Took off from the dock with a water temp of 160, trans completely cold and ran it up to 40 mph, beeping started, trans not even warm to the touch yet.  I have found a twin wire w two screws, guessing neutral safety switch, and one connector with two wires on it plugged into trans.  Pulled that connector, drove it, no change.  

Knock sensor on right side of motor is installed and plugged in.  

Checked the impeller, new, installed properly, pumping water as it should. Water temp on gauge holds 158-160. Running hard pulls it to 165 at max and then back to 160 at idle.  There is a two wire plug that goes into the intake next to the thermostat housing, when I pull that off at idle, alarm immediately sounds, reinstalled.  Pulled the wire hooked to the gauge Gauge read zero, drove boat, no change, beeping started again, reinstalled.  

The mystery continues.....

45 minutes ago, MadMan said:

On mine, '00 LSV w/Monsoon, the malfunction indicator (MIL) from the MEFI signal is also connected warning sounder.

Found this out when I was reading the diagnostic codes, in addition to my test light flashing, I could hear the code sequence from the sounder.

So if I have this as well, means a trip to the dealer to be plugged in and scanned? 

If the trans is not hot, the engine is not hot, and you have oil pressure...you have a bad sensor.  

I would replace them one at a time, starting with the oil pressure switch.  Cheap and easy.

http://www.skidim.com/SWITCH-OIL-PRESSURE-6-PSI/productinfo/OP22900/

Then test/replace water temp sensor

http://www.skidim.com/SENDER-WATER-TEMP/productinfo/R020019/

You also might want to try to ground the wire from the oil pressure switch to the engine temporarily.  

2 minutes ago, WoodyBC said:

So if I have this as well, means a trip to the dealer to be plugged in and scanned? 

You can read the codes yourself by shorting between terminals A and B on the DLC connector. The codes will then be "flashed" on terminal E.  Or in my case, I could just listen for the pattern.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/

Edited by MadMan

Oil pressure switch installed, no change. Water temp sensor, you are next. 

Edited by WoodyBC
Forgot to add

Never thought of that....  I use 87, always have. There was about a half tank of fuel in it from last season. Just filled it with fresh. Should I run something else?  And no. No timing change. Same plugs, wires, etc. from last year.

Edited by WoodyBC
forgot to answer a follow up question
On 5/30/2016 at 9:35 AM, WoodyBC said:

RTS,

Once ignition is turned to the on position, all gauges do a little dance, there is "buzzing" coming from them somewhere then quits. Always done this and appears normal. The "beeping" occurs then and keeps going until the engine is started. This is the same beeping that occurs when the motor is run hard. 

Oil gauge wire near the filter.  Pulled this one off while the engine was running and the gauge went to zero, reinstalled. The other wire near the filter that is attached to the oil pressure sensor, pulled that off and drove boat, no change. Beep at high speed until engine off. Reinstalled. Both of theses sensors only have one wire each.

I did check the engine oil level, looks just a touch on the high side. 

Transmission oil is new and up to full line. I did pull the trans cooler apart and found just one chunk of an old impeller inside the honey comb area. Cleaned, reinstalled, tested, no change. Took off from the dock with a water temp of 160, trans completely cold and ran it up to 40 mph, beeping started, trans not even warm to the touch yet.  I have found a twin wire w two screws, guessing neutral safety switch, and one connector with two wires on it plugged into trans.  Pulled that connector, drove it, no change.  

Knock sensor on right side of motor is installed and plugged in.  

Checked the impeller, new, installed properly, pumping water as it should. Water temp on gauge holds 158-160. Running hard pulls it to 165 at max and then back to 160 at idle.  There is a two wire plug that goes into the intake next to the thermostat housing, when I pull that off at idle, alarm immediately sounds, reinstalled.  Pulled the wire hooked to the gauge Gauge read zero, drove boat, no change, beeping started again, reinstalled.  

The mystery continues.....

My 02, same engine does the exact same gauge dance at key on for a few moments until engine is started. Nice to know it's not just mine.

Steve B.

I had a very similar issue a few years ago.  It turned out to be the sensor on the transmission, throttle position sensor was starting to go.

It never made any sense to me but when replaced it solved the problem.  One thing the dealer told me, once it fails your motor will not start until it is replaced.

23 minutes ago, Web said:

Try the oilpressure sending unit

http://www.skidim.com/SENDING-UNIT-OIL-PRESSURE-GM_FORD/productinfo/R020001/

I had to replace mine a few times on my 03 VLX. Same exact symptoms

What you referenced is the oil pressure sending unit and only sends information to the gauge on the dash on his '01 Monsoon.  It has nothing to do with the ECM thinking there is no/low oil pressure and causing the beep/alarm.

Only the oil pressure switch would cause an alarm, and he has already replaced that.