Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014, lsv, no start

Redblack2014lsv

Hopefully someone has an idea, I has a one time deal with the boat running but woul not go into gear, ran fine once it did engage the rest of the day. Next time out, launched ran out a mile or two, sacked it up and again no forward or reverse, shut off  and tried to reboot and now will not start, checked all connections, batts, throttle area, eng area, I think the boat thinks it's in gear, or neutral switch has failed but I have no idea how to troubleshoot, not does the dealer. Trying not to blow the memorial weekend, any thoughts are appreciated.

No cables, fly by wire, need to figure out how to operate the bypass on the mono valve to see if the trans shifts, trans may be stuck in gear and boat won't start,  now have a can signal error also.

My '10s throttle is fbw also, but the trans is still engaged by the throttle lever. If you expose the VD you will see where the shift cable stow bracket is secured to the drivers side of the VD and can follow the cable to where it is attached to the VD linkage. The reason I say this is that if the cable is not secured in the bracket correctly some of the same symptoms you are experiencing will occur. Good luck.

If you have electric shift, the neutral safety switch is part of the throttle/shift control in the boat. If you have electronic throttle and mechanical shift, the neutral safety switch is on the transmission.

redblack2014lsv,

im having the same issue!!!!

On my 2014, I was picking up a wakeboarder, pulled throttle lever into neutral, then went to go back into forward and the motor just revved and no prop turn.

I then tried reverse, just revved no prop turn.

i shut off engine, now it won't start!!!!!

what did u figure out?

Hey guys, no solution has been found, new Ecm, new throttle assm, indmar ans Malibu have(supposedly) gone through all the dianostics. Boat has no codes, just will not start, I think the neutral switch is the issue, is there a test on that, there is no shift cable on the 2014, 

Does it crank but no start or just no start? Two different diagnostic paths to follow. If the starter engages and cranks the engine, it is not a neutral safety switch issue.

I'm having similar issue today. 2008 lsv. First time putting it in this year after having it winterized and de winterized last fall.

not starting. I have charged the battery. Getting 12+ volts. Not getting any turn over. Appreciate any help 

No crank with the touchpad or key, we have connectivity through the CAN now, and some codes (don't have that info yet)

Dealer figures its a switch somewhere but they need Malibu to go through the trouble tree with them, with the throttle assembly replaced, the tech says the neutral switch is new also, so they say that is not the issue.

Thoughts ?

I am seeing a similar issue with my 2010 VLX.  The boat will sometimes not crank.  If i put the boat in gear forward and reverse then back to neutral it cranks right up.  Dealer told me that will eventually need to replace the whole throttle assembly.  

1 hour ago, wakeace said:

I am seeing a similar issue with my 2010 VLX.  The boat will sometimes not crank.  If i put the boat in gear forward and reverse then back to neutral it cranks right up.  Dealer told me that will eventually need to replace the whole throttle assembly.  

Can you get access to spray some electrical contact cleaner into the throttle mechanism?  I had a Mercruiser that had the same problem.  Contact cleaner got me another 5 years before having to replace the throttle assembly.

On June 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Redblack2014lsv said:

No crank with the touchpad or key, we have connectivity through the CAN now, and some codes (don't have that info yet)

Dealer figures its a switch somewhere but they need Malibu to go through the trouble tree with them, with the throttle assembly replaced, the tech says the neutral switch is new also, so they say that is not the issue.

Thoughts ?

Update? 

• 2 weeks later...

Im having a similar issue with my 2014 LSV.  My boat felt like it was slipping out of gear while pulling.  It was very transient, and so I took it in.  No codes, and they weren't sure what was happening.  I drove it another week and then it slipped while idling, then would not go back into gear in forward or reverse.  I turned it off and then tried a restart, but then it wouldn't start.  The starter doesn't engage, like it thinks it is in gear.  Supposed to get a new throttle put in it this week.  Im hoping that will fix the issue.  Has anyone figured this out definitively?  

• 3 years later...

We have a 2014 Malibu VTX that is having starting issues. It seems that it may be the throttle as most of these other posts have mentioned.  I have confirmed that both batteries are fine (12V).  Scenario is: boat will start fo the trailer fine, then when we run for awhile we are afraid to turn it off as it may not start again!?  Intermittently while surfing it seems to slip out of gear and decelerates with driver wondering what is going on?  Then if we turn it off, it will not restart on the water from the mailiview touchscreen- no clicking nothing blower is on everything else works just no start. I have tried moving throttle back and forth- also in neutral with no success.  Then it just starts no rhyme or reason.  Help- unfortunately we live 2.5 hrs away from our malibu dealer.  Should we start with replacing the throttle?