Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 23 LSV Stock setup

Ahaspert

Hi everyone. We just took possession of our new 16' 23 lSV with the 450hp engine and only scratched the surface of finding the best wakes for surfing and wakeboarding. I was hoping to find out what other people use as their setup in regards to speed, power wedge, and ballast completely stock. We have PnP but still need to purchase the sacs later in the summer. Thanks!

The 16' is same as the 15'. Look up thread for 2015 23 LSV ballast, there is a ton of info on setup for this boat.  If you want a great surf wake, xtra rear ballast is a must with some added front ballast. Each wakesurfing board rider will dictate your wave shape/setup to a certain degree. Most surfers are between 10.6 to 11.4 speed wise.  Wedge to your liking. Move it up or down in each position to see what you like. We are at two clicks to three clicks from full extended.

Edited by Capdoogie

'16 23LSV

Full factory tanks. '16 Wakemakers 700 rear PnP sacks, Sumo triangle sack in bow. 10.8 wedge a couple of clicks down (factory surf left preset). If only a couple of people in the boat, sometimes we put a sumo 650 sac on the floor in front of the rear seat. The Sumo triangle helps a bunch to keep the nose down and lengthening the wave with the rear PnP sacks. I keep forgetting to get pictures!

Wakemakers Rear PnP sacks.

Sumo Triangle sack

Sumo Pump

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

'16 23LSV

Full factory tanks. '16 Wakemakers 700 rear PnP sacks, Sumo triangle sack in bow. 10.8 wedge a couple of clicks down (factory surf left preset). If only a couple of people in the boat, sometimes we put a sumo 650 sac on the floor in front of the rear seat. The Sumo triangle helps a bunch to keep the nose down and lengthening the wave with the rear PnP sacks. I keep forgetting to get pictures!

Wakemakers Rear PnP sacks.

Sumo Triangle sack

Sumo Pump

This works well on my '16 VLX as well. Ronnie and I were experimenting with settings on it Sunday. We didn't try the extra bag in the cabin cuz I'll never do that. Wife rule. But the bow is fair game. 

if you aren't willing to put any bags in the bow or out in the open on the boat, then only fill the rear plug and plays to about 2/3 to 3/4 full.  You will still get a VERY good surf wake, just not as maxed out as you can get with exposed bags.  When we take guests/beginners, the rear plug and plays filled up part ways are more than enough.  If we have experienced surfers, we go ahead and fill the rear plug and plays, at which time you will need some bow or cabin weight to compensate and level the boat out for a max wave.

Edited by malibudog
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ahaspert said:

Thanks everyone! The Rear PnP bags are definitely in sight once the funds come around! Ha! 

PayPal offeres no interest for 6 months on purchases over $100 , order them now and thank me later

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys, 

The first summer surfing stock was great but definitely wanted to go even bigger and just got the additional 1400 lbs of PnP added in the rear. Everyone was mentioning about adding weight in the bow to max out the wave with PnP in the rear. Looking at our options, we did not want to have a exterior sac in the bow, but have been looking at getting Lead Wake bags to lay up front in the walkway. My question is, approximately how much weight do you think I should get??? I would be getting the 50 lb bags and was thinking I would need at least 4-6 bags. 

Thanks! 

I use 400lbs in the bow of my 22VLX and I almost always send a warm body up there to get the wave how want it. Wakemakers customs in the rear which are about 800lbs each for reference.

24 minutes ago, KeepingupwiththeJones said:

I use 400lbs in the bow of my 22VLX and I almost always send a warm body up there to get the wave how want it. Wakemakers customs in the rear which are about 800lbs each for reference.

Thanks, that helps tremendously! What size crew do you usually have in the boat with that?

4 hours ago, Ahaspert said:

Thanks, that helps tremendously! What size crew do you usually have in the boat with that?

6 to 8, half of them being kids. Usually one adult and a kid up in the bow. I feel like right around 600lbs is the sweet spot for me.