Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me land my first invert! (Video)

SnubNose

So been wakeboarding for a few years now and finally decided to give a tantrum a shot last weekend for the first time. I'm pretty confident jumping wake to wake, but flipping has always been difficult for me being 6'2. Here are two videos of my best attempts over the weekend. I probably made 20 attempts and fell a lot more than I needed to lol. Anyways I'm alive and ready to land this thing! My own analysis is that I am looking over my shoulder rather than directly behind me causing me to flip sort of sideways and slower. I don't think I really flatten my board out before the wake like most instructional videos do but I'm not sure if that is necessary or if it just happens naturally. Let me know what you guys think! I had the rope at 65 feet in the video where I land short and 60 feet when I land in the flats. I have the boat at 21-22.6 Mph 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_8a_WAqu5jsNUp6ZklJVEV6VDg

Full disclosure I can't land a tantrum but from the videos looks like edging. Need to progressive edge all the way into the wake.

Few things I noticed, firstly you're not standing tall off the wake so your absorbing a lot of the pop and not getting as much height as you could be. 

Second you definitely need to be over your toes when you hit the wake, in fact you should have changed edges and have your whole body leaning away from the wake. 

Lastly you might be riding too fast for that length line, at the boat speed you're riding at id be using a 75ft line, with a 60-65ft line id have the boat doing 18-19mph

A instructional website I use is learnwake.com, it's by the same guys who made "the book" series, it costs $10 a month but it's well worth it in my opinion. 

Once you get a couple of little things sorted I reckon you'll be landing it in no time

44 minutes ago, Diesel86 said:

Few things I noticed, firstly you're not standing tall off the wake so your absorbing a lot of the pop and not getting as much height as you could be. 

Second you definitely need to be over your toes when you hit the wake, in fact you should have changed edges and have your whole body leaning away from the wake. 

Lastly you might be riding too fast for that length line, at the boat speed you're riding at id be using a 75ft line, with a 60-65ft line id have the boat doing 18-19mph

A instructional website I use is learnwake.com, it's by the same guys who made "the book" series, it costs $10 a month but it's well worth it in my opinion. 

Once you get a couple of little things sorted I reckon you'll be landing it in no time

Ah yeah I definitely see my legs absorbing the pop now! I'll try and stand taller. That's what I was saying when I watched the videos they say you should edge in hard then flatten out Your board then open your chest let go with one arm and look back. What I learned though is that I have to ride up the wake as much as I can before I let go with one arm and open up to get that trip pop motion and not just tumble over... 

I've been doing tantrums for 8 years and can do them in any water on any wake even more comfortably than a heel side w2w so there's my precedent.  You are pretty close.  I think the wake and speed look good.  In the first video, you edged through the wake and didn't "trip" which led to the awkward rotation.  In the second video, pretty much everything looked good you just need a bigger approach so cut out farther.  This will give you more speed and line tension to get you up and over the Wakes.  When I do them, I will generally let go with my back hand in the trough of the wake but not truly change my edge until I'm riding up the wake.

Show

13 minutes ago, t a said:

I've been doing tantrums for 8 years and can do them in any water on any wake even more comfortably than a heel side w2w so there's my precedent. 

show off :Tease3:

pics (video) or it didn't happen

12 hours ago, Diesel86 said:
2 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

Shoot video in landscape... You'll prolly land it then.

LOL 

i don't get it ? 

1 hour ago, t a said:

I've been doing tantrums for 8 years and can do them in any water on any wake even more comfortably than a heel side w2w so there's my precedent.  You are pretty close.  I think the wake and speed look good.  In the first video, you edged through the wake and didn't "trip" which led to the awkward rotation.  In the second video, pretty much everything looked good you just need a bigger approach so cut out farther.  This will give you more speed and line tension to get you up and over the Wakes.  When I do them, I will generally let go with my back hand in the trough of the wake but not truly change my edge until I'm riding up the wake.

What speed and line length should I ride at? When you say change edge does that mean when you are riding up wake you switch to toe side edge or just open up chest and look back 

19 minutes ago, SnubNose said:

i don't get it ? 

What speed and line length should I ride at? When you say change edge does that mean when you are riding up wake you switch to toe side edge or just open up chest and look back 

you could probably pull it in to 60 to learn the trick but I learned them at 65, speed wise whatever is comfortable for going wake to wake at whatever length you are riding.  I don't ever really feel myself going to a toeside edge on this trick, more of flattening off the edge and squaring up to the wake.  Look back as you square up your shoulders.  I do this as I'm riding up the wake because if you do it in the trough, most of the time it'll trip you super hard but you won't have much pop so your flip will be low and fast. 

3 hours ago, t a said:
1 hour ago, t a said:

you could probably pull it in to 60 to learn the trick but I learned them at 65, speed wise whatever is comfortable for going wake to wake at whatever length you are riding.  I don't ever really feel myself going to a toeside edge on this trick, more of flattening off the edge and squaring up to the wake.  Look back as you square up your shoulders.  I do this as I'm riding up the wake because if you do it in the trough, most of the time it'll trip you super hard but you won't have much pop so your flip will be low and fast. 

You keep your arm tucked too? It looks like my arm gets far away from me causing my shoulder to turn funky when going invert. Is the squaring of shoulder to wake supposed to be gradual and smooth or snappy and quick ? 

41 minutes ago, SnubNose said:

elbow tucked into hip will keep your rotation straight up and over.  I did them for years arm straight layed out funky rotation you are talking about.  Squaring up will be snappy and quick.  Cut in pretty hard, at trough flatten off edge, you have from when you hit the bottom of the wake to taking off the top to square up and look back so that will be a pretty quick movement.  Being comfortable doing backflips on trampoline or off the back of the boat will help this trick tremendously. 

• Like 2