Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 23 LSV -what props you using????

chrisnorem

Just finished break in on 2016 23 LSV with the 6.2L 450.  Running  the factory 2249 and feel "over propped."  Haven't hit WOT yet but looks like it will top out around 35 which is an issue since I also slalom ski in addition to surf. Have a diamond hull.   It running around 3800-4000 rpm with all ballast and the wake maker custom "660's" in lockers which seem to pretty much fill entire space up.  Even with the wedge down it starts of of hole very easily and pops right to speed.  More of a beast then I think I need because I won't be running more ballast.  Also have long runs to certain spots.  Thinking of trying the 2247 to go up in cup size (loved the 1273 on my 2014 VTX with 350) or the 2277.  Any input appreciated. I'm no expert.   I also have a new unused 2419 (15 x 12) off the VTX I would be happy to trade and/or unused new 550 (I think) Fly High locker bags came out of the 2016 LSV for trade.  I laid them out next to the Wake maker bags and they look exactly the same to me.  Even shaped the same.

After demoing a 2016 with the 2249 I opted for the 2277 on my boat. At approx 150' ASL the 2277 is all I need. WOT is just around 39mph and comes out the hole great. 

Hope this helps.

Btw congrats on the new boat! 

• Like 1

Same here... I'm running the standard 2277 (15x15.75). After demo I realized that was plenty and I run HEAVY. Top speed with 6.2L 410 is 40mph (not gps verified). 

With the new gear reduction transmission you just don't need the high torque props unless you're at high altitude. 

Thanks for input.  I could tell immediately from my "butt dyno"  it wasn't set up right with that prop and gear ratio.  I wish Malibu thought the gear and engine change through more when it came to the props they telling dealers to use.  

2 hours ago, chrisnorem said:

Thanks for input.  I could tell immediately from my "butt dyno"  it wasn't set up right with that prop and gear ratio.  I wish Malibu thought the gear and engine change through more when it came to the props they telling dealers to use.  

I think the issue is that for the three prior model years since SG was introduced, these big heavy boats came with 5.7L motors and 1.5:1 transmissions. Add PnP bags and then PW2 to the equation and you've really created a situation where dealers have been trained to throw as much prop as possible at these boats by automatically checking the little box next to "torque prop" 

Then all the sudden Malibu gives us a 6.2L standard motor and "props" it way down with a 1.72:1 transmission. Problem solved. Only the dealers are still in the habit of opting for the "torque prop."  It's cheap insurance and you can never have too much hole shot, right?  That seems to be the mentality. 

For what it's worth, my dealer reported the same top speeds as this thread... 40mph with the standard prop and 35mph with the torque prop 

If you search there is a long thread I posted about propping the 2016 boats with the new transmission and the raptor. I have a VLX with a 450  however it's only 200 lbs lighter then the LSV. I am running the 2277 and it handles full internal plus 800 PNP's and a 650 bow sack with no issues. Top speed on a cool day is 42. My RPM and top speed mirror the 2015 with the HA prop. What Malibu now calls the cruise prop really should be labeled the high altitude prop which is the 2277.

I run the standard prop in my LSV with a 409 (2277 I think). My 2015 LSV had the 350 and 15x12 prop, but when you are slammed at wakeboard speed your RPMs would get up there.

I should have qualified my comments... SOME dealers get it... Like @UpperleftWake. In fact, every fall Mason and Matt spend time on the water testing the new model year boats with different weights, props, etc. They have invited me many times. In fact my avatar pic is from one such trip over two years ago (first time out on the new 22 VLX). We call these runs "R&D sessions."  That way I don't have to feel guilty leaving work early. Lol 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I should have qualified my comments... SOME dealers get it... Like @UpperleftWake. In fact, every fall Mason and Matt spend time on the water testing the new model year boats with different weights, props, etc. They have invited me many times. In fact my avatar pic is from one such trip over two years ago (first time out on the new 22 VLX). We call these runs "R&D sessions."  That way I don't have to feel guilty leaving work early. Lol 

Good example of R&D session with "different weights".

2FC310E1-11F0-42C6-BBA5-C5ED5BFC86C1_zps

• Like 2

I have been very impressed with the performance of my 2016 with the 2277 prop and 410 motor.  Gets on plane to wakeboard speed nicely with full ballast and 700lb wake makers custom bags in rear.  The lift mode and new gear ratio seem to work very well together with the 2277 prop.  In fact I was wondering if there was a prop option more like 15x16.5 to drop RPMs a bit and get over 40mph top end.  Probably not worth it though considering the performance I have now.  

So I ran the 2277 yesterday all day and it a MAJOR improvement. Easily hits 40 mph still plenty of power to surf loaded.  Unless you are running crazy heavy or at a high altitude I see no reason the 2249 should be on a 2016 LSV.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

Reviving an old thread.  Not sure if this was a change from 2016, but on a build sheet for the 2017 LSV, I see that the "standard" prop is now the 2277, not the 2249.  Not sure if this is the default, or something my dealer did.  Is the consensus that the 2277 is still the best all around prop for this boat (not assuming high altitude)?  Has anyone pulled a skier up behind a 23 LSV with the 2277 prop?  Since this thread ended in May of last year, I'm curious if others have tried different props not mentioned here. 

I'm planning on purchasing a back up prop for the boat.  If the 2017 came with the 2249, I probably would have ordered a 2277 and kept the 2249 as a b/u.  However, since it comes with a 22277, curious if I should just buy another one of those?  The boat will be used 95% fo the time in Northern Ca lakes, so unless we haul her up to Tahoe, altitude is not an issue. 

The 2249 was the torque prop for both years. The 2249 will run at more RPM than the 2277. Several here run the 2277. Likely will depend on how much ballast you run. My '16 had a 2249. My '17 is coming with the 2277 to see if I can get the fuel range better. Probably 500-600 RPM difference between the two props. 

• Like 2

I changed at the end of the season to a 2367  15.00 x 17.750 from the 2277.   Granted I do have the Raptor 575 motor.  So I have plenty of power even with a 1.5:1 ratio.  We run fully loaded with stock ballast up on plane for surfing without any problem.  Top speed now over 50 MPH. 

Many variables on which prop is correct for you.  Really depends on the motor, the amount of ballast you plan to run, number of crew, types of activity.  

6 minutes ago, 2THEL8K said:

For what it's worth, my buddy is running an OJ 945 on his 2014 LSV with the 350 engine, not sure how that stacks up to the ACME props above

different transmission ratio, so apples:oranges (945 is pretty equivalent to 2315, which on 1.72 tranny performs like the 2249)

1 hour ago, 2THEL8K said:

Reviving an old thread.  Not sure if this was a change from 2016, but on a build sheet for the 2017 LSV, I see that the "standard" prop is now the 2277, not the 2249.  Not sure if this is the default, or something my dealer did.  Is the consensus that the 2277 is still the best all around prop for this boat (not assuming high altitude)?  Has anyone pulled a skier up behind a 23 LSV with the 2277 prop?  Since this thread ended in May of last year, I'm curious if others have tried different props not mentioned here. 

I'm planning on purchasing a back up prop for the boat.  If the 2017 came with the 2249, I probably would have ordered a 2277 and kept the 2249 as a b/u.  However, since it comes with a 22277, curious if I should just buy another one of those?  The boat will be used 95% fo the time in Northern Ca lakes, so unless we haul her up to Tahoe, altitude is not an issue. 

Howdy neighbor!

I went with the 2277 on my 17. I have the 2249 as a spare. The 2277 is good for surfing. For a heavy wakeboard it is also ok. But, I may try out the 2249 and see for wakeboarding. 

I'll have to keep an eye out for your rig around town or on Folsom :-)  My current thinking is picking up a 2249 as the b/u just so I have something different.    We'll likely want to run at 34-ish from time to time pulling skiers with a fairly light crew (number of people, maybe a little bow ballast, nothing else), so presume the 2277 is better for that.  For serious skiing, my buddy has a ProStar 210 we can use, but still hoping to take the occasional slalom run behind the LSV.  Presuming the 2277 was on the boat we test drove yesterday, we did load up all of the ballast including some additional bags in the rear locker, wedge deployed, etc and it seemed to do just fine.

Try Acme 2401. It brings down rpm's and engine noise significantly. Just put additional ballast upfront or you'll be a little heavy in the rear. For the 2401 prop to engage, it needs to be nearly straight in the water; therefore, extra ballast is needed upfront. 

Edited by bbattiste247
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Fman said:

FWIW I also went with the 2277 per Teamericksons recommendations, so if it does not work to my liking I am blaming him! :)

Hahahahaha!

I went with the 2277 based on @IXFE's recommendations! It's all on him!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

Try Acme 2401. It brings down rpm's and engine noise significantly. Just put additional ballast upfront or you'll be a little heavy in the rear. For the 2401 prop to engage, it needs to be nearly straight in the water; therefore, extra ballast is needed upfront. 

cheap one here from the "out the factory backdoor" malibu e-bay acct: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acme-2401-15-00-X-17-750-1-1-8-Bore-0-105-Cup-4-Blade-LH-Propeller-/252768958420?hash=item3ada3437d4:g:KLMAAOSw4A5YobR9