Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim platform pin

I just lost a swim platform pin. Anyone know what size they are? Yes, I could go measure the other one, but its on a hoist and the water is 53 degrees so if someone can measure theirs on a trailer, that would be awesome. Thanks guys!

My boat is only 50' away and on a trailer, but the pins in my platform have a "guide pin" in them and a "C" shaped retainer. Are you just looking for the diameter vs. OEM so you can stay on the water? I think you're going to need to order the correct replacement pin for a long-term solution.

On my 09 I used these - Sea-Dog 751011-1 Galvanized Coupler Locking Pin 5/16" .   If you Google the name / part number you'll be able to find the complete  dimensions.   They're OK if you need something temporary, but I would get SS next time.

The OEM parts suck. They have these little locking pins that fit through slots on the bracket. I have seen them back out 1/2 way more than once. I wanted to replace them with something like Dave did (shown below), but stainless. Since putting on the FAE system, it seems like they back out more frequently than before.

11887F-p.jpg

UPDATE:

Bakes had the dimensions online! Thank you Bakes!

Pin Length 3-1/4"

Pin Diameter 1/4"

axissteppin_LG.jpg

Edited by Raimie
spelling

Well...Bakes has the dimension wrong. I put a 1/4" pin in there to get me through today and it's definitely a 1/2" or slightly larger. Will post up my long term solution when I figure it out.

If you don't need to remove the pin frequently, find the proper size stainless bolt and a nylock nut at your local hardware store. My 95 Sanger had a pin with a hole in the end for a big cotter key. 

3 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

If you don't need to remove the pin frequently, find the proper size stainless bolt and a nylock nut at your local hardware store.

I've used this approach because I almost never remove my platform.

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I've used this approach because I almost never remove my platform.

Yeah, I never take it off. Only time was when I was installing the FAE. I think I will go that route as well.

We originally had pins like you posted that were keyed to fit in.  As hard as they were to get installed, we actually had one back out 75%.  We had our boat go back to the factory this off season for some gel work and when it was returned we had a similar looking pin without the keys and these have a cotter pin that goes on the other side.  Much easier in and out and really no way for it to come out now.  I would give your dealer a call and have them send you a pair of new pins.  Obviously there was an issue or Malibu wouldn't have installed new ones on our boat.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:26 PM, klntime said:

Raime,

quick and effective fix.  Small Zip Tie by the little locking pin - stops them from backing out.

So...I actually was going to do this before I launched my boat this spring. But...I couldn't find my stash of little zip ties. So, because I was too lazy to stop and get some, I lost a pin :blush:

Lost one early on, just rotate at wipe down to opposite of notch  cause on trailer each day to go home(never rotates the full 180 in one day of activity), keep spare in glove. Much bigger problem if left in water all weekend , I see the point of the simple zip tie.  Wakemakers says platforms float and when untangling or cutting rope(have done that hold your breath panic routine with goggles in silty water-    platform made it tougher cause had to redive and surface 4 times before breathing panic was abated on 5th try) or as we know attempting the impossible water prop change(have spare with kit w/puller and dive goggles and tools and knife- sure I'll fail but impossible with platform), I want a quick and easy pin removal to remove that platform, zip tie pulled tight is going to be hard to cut(still like that idea if boat stays in water).  If boat comes out each day and you wipe down for real , rotate it it's easy by the ring when your drying down there and your back is pushing up against the platform if you want .

I cant remember where I ordered mine, but I ordered it online from a fastener website. I measured one of my old pins and ordered accordingly  

Something similar to this

BWTS35010_3_500.jpg

Edited by Robert95z

The keyed pins come out during use, unless you zip tie them (lost 3, so no it is no a fluke occurrence).  Dealer replaced with the angled version of what is pictured above.