Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VLX Service

I am about to preform the first service on my 09 VLX. It has the Monsoon 340 motor.

Here is the list of items I think I need.

Engine Oil - 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine, API Service SJ/CG4 Racing Oil (some 383ci Hammerheads may require straight 40w)
Engine Oil Filter all 5.7L - Pennzoil PZ3 (except LS1)
Walters V-Drive Oil - SAE 30 Pennzoil Motor Oil
Fuel Filter Spin-on - Indmar 786020
Spark Plugs all 5.7L - AC Delco MR43LTS (except LS1)

Does this look correct, am I missing anything?

Does anyone have any other recommendations instead of whats on the list?

Don't forget the tranny fluid. 

Oil brand probably doesn't matter.  Any 15W-40 and SAE30 will be OK.  Synthetic better but I'm not sure why with our short change intervals.

ACDelco 41-993 plugs.  Put them in and forget 'em.

Take your distributor cap off and see if it looks corroded or not.

Check belt condition and tightness.  Change your raw water impeller.  Check drip rate on the prop shaft when you get it in the water.

We're finally getting good weather!  Enjoy.

Do you have info on changing the Raw water impeller?

Also, are the 41-993 pre-gaped for the Monsoon?

Edited by jcarr343

Definitely change out the impeller if you never have.  It may be the most common failure point on our boats.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+change+johnson+impeller+indmar&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=how+to+change+johnson+impeller+indmar&sc=0-37&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=94D29A1F9C324921BB426AF4D510BF9E

Plugs are pre-gapped.  Don't try to bend them.

On 05/02/2016 at 8:37 AM, jcarr343 said:

Do I use the same oil in the transmission as I do the engine?

The tranny probably needs Dextron III ATF. It should say right on it. Orange dip stock?

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dodger40 said:

Are the 41-993 plugs the same as the iridium or is the platinum something else?

They last longer and are a direct replacement.

The resources section of TMC is a good place to download the engine & operators manual which will answer most of your questions.

when replacing the raw water impeller, check the transmission cooler screen for any impeller blade pieces which may have broken off in the boats previous life. The in line cooler between the raw pump & thermostat housing with 2 smaller lines running to the transmission.

On 5/4/2016 at 7:48 PM, jcarr343 said:

Anyone? Is it the same oil?

The V-drive unit (Walter) and the transmission are two separate units that are bolted together.  Engine/Tranny/V-drive if you are moving from the stern forward.  

My 2005 VLX takes 30W oil in the V-drive, and automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the transmission.