Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Control tower speakers separately from main speakers

dpbremer

My first post!

I just took delivery of a sweet new 2015 22 VLX! It has the Rockford Fosgate factory system installed. I am wondering if there is a way to control either the volume or on/off of the tower amp separately from the main boat speakers. There are times when I don't want to project the sound to everyone around me but would still like to have the music on at a decent level within the boat.

I was originally thinking I could just add a PLC2 remote level control to the tower amp (P500X2) but it turns out that only controls the amp when its in LP mode for subs.

Another option I was thinking would be to add a switch inline of the REM input to control when the amp is turned on. In this case not a volume control but rather just an on/off of the amp. I am wondering if the Auto Turn-on feature will override this though when it senses input audio?

I am curious as to what others have done to accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

Axxess makes a line level control you put in line with your RCA cables to the amp.  they run under 10 bucks each.

I agree, the wetsounds 420 is the way to go. Yeah it's a little expensive when you add in the wiring harness, but it will make your system sounds so much better.  

Another thing to consider is your amplifier gain setting. When I took delivery of my boat the gains were turned all the way down. Yes you do have to take the sticker off that says you will void your warranty, but I doubt it really does.

I installed the Kicker zone controller for exactly that reason. I ended up adding another single controls for the sub as well. In the end I wished I had just installed an equalizer.