Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

I bought the Mission surf panels and love them, very well built and the wave is amazing. The only downfall is that they're bulky to store.

Defenitly recommend them.

I too ordered the new Mission Delta.  Stoked to get it!  We still plan on listing the wave when our little guy isn't riding with us.  But generally for ease of use, I like having the option.  

On 4/29/2016 at 5:41 AM, MadMan said:

I wouldn't install one of these that puts a side load on the swim platform.  It was designed to take a vertical load. 

There is not much pressure at the side angle.  The NSS or MB's GSA have a lot of pressure, but surprisingly if you play with your own surf gate you see there is not as much as you would think.  

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

There is not much pressure at the side angle.  The NSS or MB's GSA have a lot of pressure, but surprisingly if you play with your own surf gate you see there is not as much as you would think.  

The ones I've made are mounted differently and they generated enough side pressure to actually break one:

Also, if you forget to remove after surfing, the load put on the swim platform will be much greater at 30mph.

Edited by MadMan
On April 29, 2016 at 5:48 AM, saxton15 said:

I too ordered the new Mission Delta.  Stoked to get it!  We still plan on listing the wave when our little guy isn't riding with us.  But generally for ease of use, I like having the option.  

Any word on how this attaches etc.. This has my interest but have a hard time dropping $500 and not knowing how it works. 

1 hour ago, jb 156 said:

Any word on how this attaches etc.. This has my interest but have a hard time dropping $500 and not knowing how it works. 

We find out this week.  I imagine it's similar to how the Surfside panel attaches. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Cayute said:

That makes me a little un easy about my pre order haha

How are you guys dropping $500 without even knowing how this thing works?  There's no information on how it mounts or how it works and people are lining up to pay $500 for it?  Crazy. 

I have heard the speculation on magnets, so if that's true, do you have to mount magnets inside the hull on both sides of the boat?  How are the magnets activated? 

Magnets would be crazy. ANY movement on the hull would scratch the crap out of it.

Suction cup would make more sense. There are some REALLY strong suction cups out there.

Edited by boardjnky4

There are very strong and light magnets available.  I could see it working  with a magnet(s) stuck to the inside of the hull in the right place and another magnet in the wedge.  The wedge could have some kind of rubber pad against the hull for protection and also shear (anti slide) strength.  Still has the same issues (steering, storage, have to stop to switch sides, non adjustable) that Velcro, suction, or platform wedges have but it might be a lot easier to use.

Ain't free market competition and innovation great!

6 hours ago, jtrovato said:

How are you guys dropping $500 without even knowing how this thing works?  There's no information on how it mounts or how it works and people are lining up to pay $500 for it?  Crazy. 

I have heard the speculation on magnets, so if that's true, do you have to mount magnets inside the hull on both sides of the boat?  How are the magnets activated? 

For me i figured it would be a very similar mount to their surf side panels. And I wanted to pre order to insure I was one of the first to have it shipped to and most importantly received for one of my big trips of the year on July 1.

Also from what I have heard they are a good company to deal with and if it turns out not end up being what I want I will change my order to a regular surf side panel because that product is definetly the nicest manual gate out there IMHO. 

Either way we will find out the rest of the details this week I believe!

Edited by Cayute

Looks like I wasted my time building a shaper.  I bought the Velcro and it's still in my rig,lol.   I'm gonna have to order one, is there a group buy?

10 minutes ago, Shastasurf said:

Looks like I wasted my time building a shaper.  I bought the Velcro and it's still in my rig,lol.   I'm gonna have to order one, is there a group buy?

I just emailed them to see if they were interested, I will report back.

• Like 2

Just make sure your hull does not have the stepped side before you order.  The Delta should work well with flat sides though. Looks like they built a nice suction piston into it and "pump" it with the gate surface. Creative.