Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help my Sister find a boat

braindamage

Cross the bridge and head through da yoop.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-for-sale-Baxter-Minnesota-50501.aspx

seems underpriced?  EDIT: no trailer...  It still baffles me how many boats without trailers you see listed...

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Malibu-Sunscape-LSV-for-sale-Commerce-Michigan-55684.aspx

Edited by UWSkier
55 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

Nice looking boat! Price seems a bit high?

Maybe a little high, but it looks to have a shower, heater and some sort of ballast system.  

If someone buys this boat I will trade them my single axle trailer for the tandem under this boat plus some cash.  My trailer is also for a Sunscape 21.

4 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

Maybe a little high, but it looks to have a shower, heater and some sort of ballast system.  

If someone buys this boat I will trade them my single axle trailer for the tandem under this boat plus some cash.  My trailer is also for a Sunscape 21.

I think the price is high, not when I can find newer boats for a lot less.

Right now we are dialing in to either a 2004 sunscape or 2003 wakesetter. Each is $23k-ish. I like the sunscape. Less hours, but it's further away, and doesn't have perfect pass. The wakesetter is probably ok too considering I think they will end up wanting to surf, but it has high hours (the compression is good)

i think either option is a good one for their family.

Edited by braindamage

I have a '04 Sunscape and am happy with it for slalom and my fiends like it for footing since it have the diamond hull.  The wakesetter probably have the wake hull.  What wakesetter are you looking at?  I know several have been posted.

9 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

That's the boat IMHO.  Great hull, great price, seems clean.

Pretty sure it's a scam. Emailed them about 2 weeks ago and never received anything back  I believe it also has fl registration

18 minutes ago, jbower said:

Pretty sure it's a scam. Emailed them about 2 weeks ago and never received anything back  I believe it also has fl registration

You can see it has a Fl license plate

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

That's the boat IMHO.  Great hull, great price, seems clean.

Yep. Scam. It is also listed in another couple of cities.

5 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

I have a '04 Sunscape and am happy with it for slalom and my fiends like it for footing since it have the diamond hull.  The wakesetter probably have the wake hull.  What wakesetter are you looking at?  I know several have been posted.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-MALIBU-21WAKESETTERVLX-102753499

its been there for about a month. The spec on this site says it's a wake hull. It doesn't look like it's been detailed. Motor has 1400 hours so that is a concern. I don't have the numbers but my brother in law says that they confirmed via compression test that the motor is good.

i told them to negotiate one against the other but do it quickly. I don't think the sunscape is going to last.

Edited by braindamage

The cost of adding perfect pass and ballast to the sunscape isn't insignificant.  Might be worth looking some more unless they can negotiate down enough to pay for the stargazer.

• 2 weeks later...

They seem bent on getting the Session boat.  I was supposed to meet my brother-in-law at the boat last weekend, but the owner had some issues (bad starter) and it wouldn't run.  It has sat for at least 2 years and I was telling them that if a boat sits for a while there is bound to be issues that will come about.  It's now at a marina getting a starter installed.  From my perspective that's not a bad thing.  They now can call the marina and ask them to do a once-over and provide them with an assessment.  They have agreed on a price and placed down a deposit that is based on a fully functional boat.  So far that's worked to their advantage, as the seller has replaced the trailer tires, trailer brakes, a new bluetooth stereo head unit, and now a starter...I just worry that the list will grow.

For now, the delays have not been a big deal, as they got a dusting of snow last weekend...yuck! We are hoping to try and do a test run in 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, williemon said:

Fiel system may need repair if its sat a bit.

Yeah, I worry about the filters, hoses, etc...I think it has a poly gas tank so I am not worried about gas tank corrosion. 

They bought a boat!! They decided on the session. He sent me a pic via text. (Thanks ahopkins for the help in posting)

DB6C79E7-832D-40E7-83B2-DCAE5BF02698_zps

Edited by braindamage
ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, braindamage said:

They bought a boat!! They decided on the session. He sent me a pic via text but I can't figure out how to get that into photobucket so I can post it. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure it out.

Nice!

Save the photo from the test message to your phone so it's in your photo album then upload it to photobucket.