Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

89 sunsetter project getting started

Yeah they are the blowers. Yes you're right they are supposed to be sucking. The hoses you see are running out the back to the vents I just ran out of the hose to drop it down the sides of the engine and into the bilge to pull out all those gas fumes. That mounting location was where the original one was and since I'm a worrier I put in two for redundancy. Who knows if that's the right place but seemed to work 

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Great looking floor project.

Side Question, the white hoses on the back of the engine look like two blowers or two blower hoses, my understanding was to put the blower hose inlet near the bottom of the bilge and put the blower on the other end of the hose pulling air instead of pushing?  

On 3/21/2017 at 10:13 AM, 90oldskool said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132089023058?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is a few sellers on ebay, this is the only one I currently found out of the US. 

Yeah that's the stuff there is a bunch of different sellers on eBay with all the same things. Buy 4 sheets if you want to have overage and cover all. You can make 3 sheets work plus you have to get lucky with the length and how they cut it. Some of the lines aren't straight. I thought 3 would do it then realized 4 would make it easier so I had to buy one extra sheet and it was the actual 95" and made it from the front seat base straight back to the motor then you lay down your side pieces and fill in under the driver seat and behind the motor. The color on that extra sheet I had to buy was off by just a hair. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't been posting much either working on the boat till the wee hours or on some other stuff but things have been moving fast here she is with the tower installed still no front seat yet. IMG_3423.JPGAnd I've been adding some little things here and there. I figure an 80's boat deserves 80's lighting and there was a reason I gelcoated the inside all white. IMG_3425.JPG

just some rgb led strip with the power supply and remote to change the colors. Honestly I could keep it like this the whole time. 

Here she is on the water on the first shakedown run. Bonus didn't sink!  Ran like a champ but had a tiny fuel leak at the carb but with no cover on it was evaporating and gone so I just kept an eye on it. Later diagnosed as a score on where the compression fitting tapers so had to get creative with a brake line stub of the same diameter I think 1/2" and some valve lapping compound. 

There was some chop with the wind and took that well, some high speed runs and turns without a fuss. I knew there would be something but glad it was only that fuel leak which sounds disastrous but it was nothing. Ohh and the damn rub rail popped out a couple times so that's going to be a fix sooner than later. IMG_3434.JPG

Just more pics from the test run. Does anyone know if it's legal or not to run without the cover on? Not that I'm wanting to do it much after testing but I just figured the speedboat boys do it so screw it and I need to be listening and looking for any trouble that day 

IMG_3435.JPGIMG_3436.JPG

• Like 1

While we were out the other weekend it was torture without music so I got started on that a little. I know some of the guys have a system worth more than my entire boat but for obvious reasons that can't be justified. I ordered a mb quart GMr-1 it's got everything you need and nothing you don't. Antenna, aux, and Bluetooth with pairing that's a snap. I drilled out the driver side cup holder and slipped it in there. The only pic I had was when I test fitted it before the wrap but it's installed now. I just needed to power that and run the RCAs to the amp. I got the MB quart 5 channel amp mounted under the driver side for now with just the two speakers I have it bridged but obviously ready for an additional pair or speakers and a sub once I make the enclosure and decide where or how to get it under the front cleanly.  Got some cheapo cans and kicker 6" speakers which are over powered but that's a good thing. I think too many people think their made in China amps really provide the 1,500 watts or whatever they claim it's really nowhere near that but that's another thread I might do on stereo and subwoofer adventures in the future.

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

• Like 2
On 2/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrew999 said:

Hey sorry I haven't checked this in a bit. Yeah they had this one and the eurof3 which is pretty close to the same thing. 

The floor is in sections and once you rip up the carpet you can see the pieces and just the seams are laid with fiberglass. Does yours have the closed bow? Is that why you're saying you need to take the top cap off? Do you have any pics of so shoot me a message and bounce whatever questions you have off of me. Be prepared to spend some ChaChing on it because even just the little things add up.

the foam was added in its buoyancy and deadening so once you get your floor in just get some of the two part closed cell stuff and cut some holes and dump it in then fiberglass them but don't overdo it. 

thanks Andrew, i started a thread on my rehab. any input is greatly appreciated but im well on my way. no turning back now!

On 4/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, RudyMuller said:

What Bimini are you gonna run on your tower?

I'm toying with making my own honestly. I can't justify spending $700 or so on a large over the top one that may or may not fit right and shipping and all that when I have a tig welder and it will be $150 in aluminum tubing and some sunbrella fabric and the women in my life know how to sew. The tower clamps everywhere seem expensive though. The cheapest I've found is $25ea. If anyone knows where to get some a little cheaper I'm all ears. Might get lucky and come up with a decent looking/ functional Bimini and mostly it's just a challenge for myself 

@Andrew999:  I see in the gunnel light picture that your blowers appear to be mounted relatively high in the engine compartment.  The dangerous vapors tend to sink below fresh air so I suggest you locate the intake point of the blowers down low as that is the air/fumes you want to evacuate.  As an example, one near / behind the starter is a good location.  You had a good idea to do an initial run w/o engine cover to keep an eye on any issues.  Boat looks great.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Andrew999:  I see in the gunnel light picture that your blowers appear to be mounted relatively high in the engine compartment.  The dangerous vapors tend to sink below fresh air so I suggest you locate the intake point of the blowers down low as that is the air/fumes you want to evacuate.  As an example, one near / behind the starter is a good location.  You had a good idea to do an initial run w/o engine cover to keep an eye on any issues.  Boat looks great.

Thanks for looking out for me woodski. I've got hoses on the intake sides and dropped down into the bilge. One right down in and where you said below the starter and the other drops down the other side where the heat exchanger is. I hit em both before starting or after I've been sitting and then just run with one going because it can't hurt. Kinda wish I hadn't posted pics until I got more hose because I've got everyone concerned. 

On 2/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrew999 said:

Hey sorry I haven't checked this in a bit. Yeah they had this one and the eurof3 which is pretty close to the same thing. 

The floor is in sections and once you rip up the carpet you can see the pieces and just the seams are laid with fiberglass. Does yours have the closed bow? Is that why you're saying you need to take the top cap off? Do you have any pics of so shoot me a message and bounce whatever questions you have off of me. Be prepared to spend some ChaChing on it because even just the little things add up.

the foam was added in its buoyancy and deadening so once you get your floor in just get some of the two part closed cell stuff and cut some holes and dump it in then fiberglass them but don't overdo it. 

thanks Andrew, i started a thread on my rehab. any input is greatly appreciated but im well on my way. no turning back now! 

can anyone explain why our bots are the same year but made differently?