Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

89 sunsetter project getting started

After apparently being the low bid on a 1991 Euro F3 at $9k I started on the hunt for a older ski boat. It's been a year and after working a guy off craigslist for almost 2 months I finally met the guy up and saved this thing from being "parted out"? It was let's say fairly affordable as in if it was on the lake for the weekend and sank on the 3rd I would break even on a rental. That being said I hope it wasn't one of you guys I bought the thing from but doubtful since it was probably just going to be left out to rot and I have some money to play with. I appreciate any info since this is my first Malibu but I have been doing some research for some time now. 

So it fires right up but apparently has a fuel pump issue. He wired up a 12v electric pump so he could toodle around the lake and it seems to keep up for the first bit of the rpm range but that's getting replaced. 

The interior needs done and is already gutted and new skins being made. I'm doing all the work except the driver seat since that seemed like the learning curve would be fairly steep on it. I'll let you know how it turns out $1,300 seemed decent. 

The stringer where the ski pole attached was hollow but the engine mounts were solid. I'm guessing some epoxy business was involved to cheat it. It's sitting at the fiberglass guy waiting to get pulled apart and find out the extent of it. He is also fixing the stump/ sandbar/ whatever it is issue around the rudder on the outside. 

I guess let me know if I'm a complete dummy for trying to make this happen or if a 80s baby that likes classic stuff and a challenge might wind up with something. 

To the pics! image_zps1uxbswfm.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=2  image_zps1uxbswfm.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=2 image_zps2yuwe7i4.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1 image_zpsmhghipak.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Btw what is this I cannot attach images because of my account type? 

• Like 1

I got my 93 skier and had to do much to make her seaworthy. I'm very happy with her. A porshe on the water. Welcome to the Bu crew

• 3 months later...

Well it's been a couple months and things started off slow with the project but are clicking along now. My fiberglass guy finally has some space in his shop. As usual with this type of thing it has turned into basically a restomod of a classic boat.  I've decided to forego putting carpet back in and gel coating the entire inside of the boat. A little bit of a project but worth it, then going to throw on the sea deck. The motor / drivetrain has been pulled and is going to be refurbished, compression checked, parts to be rebuilt, Etc. Etc.

I've posted a few pictures of the progress on the little things. All of the metal was sent out for powder coating except the tower since it was fairly new and clean. Came out looking fantastic. The swim platform I've been cleaning up and varnishing. 

Metal parts have been cleaned up I have noticed a Bit of cavitation burn on the rudder. I have no idea if it's from the prop with a nick or a little out of whack but I guess it's time for that to get checked out. It's just a little pitting on one side. Do you think it's fine to run it like that to find the possible culprit if ever before doing anything about it? Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1image_zpstdzrcgz9.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=7

As of now it's just a waiting game for the fiberglass but power plant fixing time is here for me. I don't want to add a bunch of go fast parts to the engine my experience with that has always been you start to break things but I will be getting this thing back to like new  and make sure as many horses as I can are still there.

Trying to figure out this picture posting business URL]

image_zpsxinloybo.jpeg

The windshield before and after 

image_zps0rfktoc2.png

After pulling the fuel line it was pretty obvious why the fuel pump didn't work 

image_zpszo9cze7h.jpeg

Edited by Andrew999
Add pic

What the floor / bilge was looking like. 

image_zpsouipkpti.jpeg

Adding some height to the stringers to compensate for the motor mounts being maxed out  height wise  that extra 1/4" should allow for more adjustment and not cheating using shims in case it wasn't right it's just a little insurance.

image_zps4ykktvrr.jpeg

Before and after on some stuff

image_zpstedlxhz5.jpeg

image_zpsfkf6qrsd.jpeg

you can see a tiny amount of cavitation burn on the upper front side of the rudder 

image_zpstdzrcgz9.jpeg

image_zps28kirko5.jpeg

Edited by Andrew999
Duplicate pic
  • Like 4

Looking good!  I envy all the great tools you must have - but wouldn't have (or make) the time to use them.  Good luck with the project.

Post up some more "before" pictures so we can really be impressed when you're done.

Thanks minnmarker it's only a small addiction to tools. 

My problem is time and space as well. That's why the fiberglass is getting sent off. Home owners associations aren't to kind to jalopy boats in the driveway. Plus the glass work being done elsewhere keeps me on a schedule to get it done. My problem has always been starting a project half way but with some decent money already devoted I can't walk away. 

So the teak was varnished when I got it or well what was left of it so I went with what it was. I debated just oiling it but it seemed like that was a constant job where as varnishing if I'm lucky will just be a once a season or every other. I just stripped it down and scraped it repeatedly. You don't want to sand it until you've gotten almost all the varnish off and out of the grain. I used epifanes varnish. Seems like good stuff with some uv filter in it. It takes days to do sanding between coats and letting it dry. I think it's worth it to take your time because to me it's one of he focal points to an older boat.

some more before pictures and the treasures I found tearing it down. 

image_zpshtgz1dth.jpeg

There was a fire on board at some point in time. Some connections for the throttle cable have melted plastic covers and the carpet and seat you can see in the back had scortched holes in them. It was a quick vapor fire or someone was quick with the extinguisher. The lack of a running bilge blower and the fact that none of it was hooked up probably played a factor or burnt up  

image_zpsbzaajwfg.jpeg

image_zps2yuwe7i4.jpeg

image_zpsh4d5ipos.jpeg

just junk like this everywhere expired uncharged fire extinguisher, what looks like a 70s brown lamp cord is what ran power to the hot wired electric fuel pump to overcome the ruined manual pump which is a big no no especially combined with the automotive distributor that was on it instead of a sealed marine one. Basically a floating fireball waiting to happen/ already happened  

image_zps6kkycwic.jpeg

here she is after being gutted 

image_zpsmhghipak.jpeg

Here is the one of the burnt back seat 

image_zpsqdnyq6xs.jpeg

just stuff like this where it was Rigged all the way. 

image_zpsil7ukfuq.jpeg

burn hole in the carpet on the rear seat 

image_zpsi1mex6mb.jpeg

I mean at least try and clean it a year before you sell it. 

image_zps0qxdnbal.jpeg

• Like 3

So I think I need to rename this what not to do and why. So after noticing some cavitation burn on one side of the rudder I went on the hunt for it. I took all the parts to Baumann propellers in Houston. They've been in business since 58' so they know what they are doing and it shows. I spoke with Louie and told him the issue he asked if it was only one side and it is so I handed him the strut and it was bent. Bushings were good but it was bent. Btw anyone know what size of those white bushings I forgot the name... Would go on this strut? 

image_zpsg9fx8g1f.jpeg

you can see it bent 

image_zpsosr4v8nx.jpeg

the prop had a ding in it also he felt like it had been trimmed down a bit but they are going to straighten it and I'll use it as my benchmark prop then spare. With the engine refreshed it will probably run a little high because it was cut down to compensate for the aging motor before

image_zps7sta2xm5.jpeg

these kinds of bolts are probably what introduced the turbulence in the first place they were in the strut with a washer and some silicone leaving the heads exposed instead of the proper countersunk ones. Spend the money on the right bolts. I slid one I to the rudder bracket just to show the difference 

image_zps0qj2i21r.jpeg

Edited by Andrew999
Picture

@Andrew999:  the white shaft bushings are "vesconite" and OJ props and SkiDim carry them.  Not sure on OD, but I believe you have a 1" shaft.  They work great and offer a little lower resistance.  That rudder burn is not that uncommon and is a result of air bubbles from the prop wash bursting against the rudder.  A good place for running grear information is "Marine Hardware", they have an excellent online catalog.

Thanks woodski that's what I was looking for since I don't have the shaft maybe I'll just order some up and bring them to get put in.

So over what length of time does that rudder burn take place? Rather what is a normal lifespan of a rudder? I think I found the couple of root causes to it. I guess what I'm asking is does this happen over a 25 year life of a boat or is this something that happens when something gets tweaked or dinged and you don't know then after a hard day of running you come back and find that?

@Andrew999:  I think rudder burn time varies a lot based on multiple reasons, and any slight imperfection on a prop can propagate the effect.  Probably to some extent over the entire life of the boat and it also relates to the actual design of the hull / prop / rudder.  One day of use would not show any evidence, takes quite a bit more time than that.

Love seeing these boats restored.   Such a great boat, it's sad how many get brushed aside because of rot.   Keep updating!   Welcome.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jbrownson said:

Who did the windows?  We have an '88 Sunsetter that we have been restoring as well.

I had a local guy do all the powder coat here in Houston that my friends motorcycle shop uses. The windows I dismantled myself cleaned up the rubber and glass and sent the parts off. They look brand new. I am missing the middle window but I'm not overly worried about it. If I stumble on one then I'll buy it. Just make sure you memorize how you took the parts apart. 

Here is how I did it after doing it the wrong difficult way on one side.

1-Remove the small black plastic strips at the bottoms of the Window frames. 

2- remove screws and take entire window off of the boat. 

3- remove screws in each corner and dismantle the window in a way you know how to put it back together. 

Im sure once you have the glass pieces out you could get them tinted easy. Mine are already slightly tinted idk if that's from the factory or not but its tinted glass. 

Do you plan on fiberglassing and/or gelling the new wood panels before re upholstering? Reason I ask is after a couple years, I was wishing I would have on mine.  I opted for thompsons wood sealer and it didnt last. Now the next owner will have to deal with my short cut.