Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My 2016 VTX

ozresponse2

In February I took delivery of my new 2016 VTX with the 450 Monsoon. This is my 5th new Malibu, but my 1st V-drive. Previously I have had a 98' Closed Bow Response, 2000 CB Response, 2007 LXi and a 2013 Txi. Have come from a tournament skiing background and do a lot of barefooting. But as my kids now seek a wake it was time to try a crossover boat.

I have now done 35 hours and time to pass on my impressions for those like me who use this site as a reference before going out and putting down a deposit.

Boat in General - Love the new dash! Super easy to operate and easy to read. I find the windscreen is to low. For the 1st time in my life I can say I wish my Malibu had a lower drivers seat. At 5' 10 the top of the frame seems to always be in my eyeline. I have the electric height adjustable seat, so do not know if the standard version sits slightly lower.

I'm am not a fan of the new vinyl. It marks very easily and is a pain to clean with all the textured grain now. It does clean up but takes a lot of effort. I'm using boat bling products and they are fantastic, but certainly using a lot of it.

Wakeboard/hydrofoil wake - Sensational! - Love the new Power Wedge 2 and how easily it is to tune the wake. Full standard ballast and I find it a perfect size as not too large.

Barefoot - I thought with the 450 this boat should achieve 45mph which was one of reasons I wanted to change from the Txi. Unfortunately as it's now modeled on a Txi I have been severely disappointed. Max speed 43Mph at WOT. 5350rpm. I am running the ACME 2367 15 x 17.75 0.15cup. Boat came standard with Acme 2401 15 x 17.75 .105 cup. Prefer the 2367 as it solves the cavitation and reduced the RPM by 50, without affecting performance. At 75' rope off tower, wake has a very nice curl for tricking. Wake crossing is a bit of a challenge as it is a bit messy behind the boat. On the boom the Chine spray is horrendous. I am running the equivalent of 3 extensions and on a 5' rope the chine spray can still hit you in the ankle. To reduce this I have been running Full Port Rear ballast and this does reduce spray without loss of speed. This boat is far worse than my Txi for spray. I really don't like the way these modern boats now have to run so flat. Engine Very Noisy when WOT.

Slalom - My boat has been fitted with a center pole and I tried running 15' and 22' off at 34mph. I couldn't do it. The wake is so hard and is right behind the rooster tail. I actually came out with a sore ankle as it's so hard. I then went 15' off,  off the rear pole at 34. Found this to be manageable but had to really back foot coming off the second wake to avoid breaking. My wife tried it at 28 and 30mph. She despises it. Doubt she'll slalom behind this boat again. She is petite and has really nice technique, but as she isn't really aggressive on edge, it just knocks her around. My kids were quite happy on a 75' rope from the tower. They are just crossing the wake, not cutting across it so quite ok for them. I tested a 2015 VTX before ordering this boat and found it to be quite a nice slalom wash. It was slightly larger than my txi, but still nice and soft to cross. This boat is none of that. If you are a shortline skier it may be okay for you in front of the rooster tail, but for my skill level it is a complete failure. Looks like I'll have to stick to slalom behind my mates 06' Lxi.

Wakesurf - The Surfgate and Wedge are very impressive. I do not have plug and play, but in standard trim still works very well. The wristband is a bit of a dud. Very unreliable and eventually just got thrown back in the glovebox never to see the light of day. The 450 Monsoon with 15 x 17.75 prop does it easily at 3000rpm for the surfer with full ballast and wedge.

Overall - Brilliant handling, very easy to drive. Engine pulls like a truck above 3500rpm. Bit sluggish until then, but still pulls a heavy slalom skier out quite easily. My kids love this new boat. They are really enjoying the wake to play on and it does most things really well. For the slalom orientated family, you will be disappointed. The 2015 was a much nicer hull. If only they gave us a choice this boat would have been a lot nicer as a wake hull. At least you wouldn't have had to put up with the chine spray and low top speed. And then you would have had a good reason for that slalom wake!

Mods - Have already changed the mirror mount to from the center window so I can leave it open. I made a Teak timber platform as we launch hydrofoils a lot and they knock the fiberglass platforms around to much. I have a lower mounted bimini so I can use ski racks and more shade protection.

Would I buy this boat again? Probably not as I enjoy slalom too much. For others that are not interested in this, it is a pretty great boat. Hopefully in a few years they'll make a newer version so it can give me the chance to upgrade!

Cheers Stewie

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/ozresponse1/media/image_4.jpeg.html?o=2

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/ozresponse1/media/image_5.jpeg.html?o=1image_5.jpeg.html?o=1

image_4.jpeg.html?o=2

• Like 3

Hi,

Great review.  I am due to pick up my 2016 vtx in two weeks.

Did you modify the stock bimini to get it lower or can this be purchased in ausy?

cheers

nick 

thanks for the review. Several people have been waiting for a slalom review for this boat. Unfortunately sounds as expected in terms of them really messing it up compared to the previous vtx.

• Like 2

This is a really great review.  Or helpful review maybe, great would depend ultimately on your focus.  Too bad Malibu doesn't value the v-drive slalom ski market.  Maybe it only exists here on TMC.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I noticed the awful spray from that hull in the videos of it but didn't even think about using it with a boom.  Seems downright unusable for that.

Nice-looking ride though!  Seems it's the '05 Sunsetter LXi all over again.  Malibu had the most versatile boat in the market and screwed it up.

ahopkins22LSV

Bummer to hear about the slalom wake, did you try filling the bow ballast? That helped improve the wake and tracking on the 15 VTX I have skied. I am still interested to ski one myself though!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
18 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Bummer to hear about the slalom wake, did you try filling the bow ballast? That helped improve the wake and tracking on the 15 VTX I have skied. I am still interested to ski one myself though!

Yeah, skiing my 2012 without bow ballast is noticeably worse

Beautiful boat!

Teak platform looks amazing, well done on that.

Are you using the Sidewinder tower mount boom, or a contour clamp on the rear (or front) pylon? What is the footer's relationship to the driver, and is there a system out there that may move you a bit forward safely?

Sorry to hear your troubles with the way you want to use the boat. Hopefully with some ballast or other setup changes you can get it closer to what you want.

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Tried the it with bow ballast. No noticeable difference as the hull runs so flat anyway.

1 hour ago, jk13 said:

Beautiful boat!

Teak platform looks amazing, well done on that.

Are you using the Sidewinder tower mount boom, or a contour clamp on the rear (or front) pylon? What is the footer's relationship to the driver, and is there a system out there that may move you a bit forward safely?

Sorry to hear your troubles with the way you want to use the boat. Hopefully with some ballast or other setup changes you can get it closer to what you want.

It is my own system similar to the sidewinder. The end of the boom is actually in front of the driver. I had it bent forward to try and clear the chine spray. Running the rear port ballast definitely improved spray, but still terrible. My mate has a 2013 VLX wake hull and it is sensational to foot off the boom.

I talked with my dealer the other day, and according to him the hull on the new VTX had 4" of freeboard added to the top, and is about 500# more than the previous version.  I know on the Mailbu website the specs say it still weighs the same, but I'm just going by what he told me.  He said it will definitely be a better surfing boat, and not as good of a ski boat as the "old" VTX boats.  Apparently the trend is for people to spend more time surfing and less time skiing now days.........Guess I'll be keeping my '14 for a while if that's the case!

Great review @ozresponse2 I've been waiting to hear what the verdict is on the new model!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sixer said:

I talked with my dealer the other day, and according to him the hull on the new VTX had 4" of freeboard added to the top, and is about 500# more than the previous version.  I know on the Mailbu website the specs say it still weighs the same, but I'm just going by what he told me.  He said it will definitely be a better surfing boat, and not as good of a ski boat as the "old" VTX boats.  Apparently the trend is for people to spend more time surfing and less time skiing now days.........Guess I'll be keeping my '14 for a while if that's the case!

Great review @ozresponse2 I've been waiting to hear what the verdict is on the new model!

I'm having a hard time understanding why they would screw up the VTX for surfing when you could just buy a VLX if that is what you wanted to do.  Be interesting to see what the sales trend is on the new VTX for the next couple years and if the 2015 and down values rise more than they are already doing.

ahopkins22LSV

I think the fact of the matter is skiers are the minority, even VTX purchases. Some people don't want a 22 foot boat, or their lake doesn't allow it. The inboard industry is without question extremely focused on surfing right now. Yes there are a few of us who will say that we are disappointed the slalom wake isn't as good, but 99% of the people won't care. I will venture to say that the VTX is still the best cross-over on the market, even with a slightly less desirable slalom wake. Which, IMO is still somewhat TBD until more of us ski it.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why they would screw up the VTX for surfing when you could just buy a VLX if that is what you wanted to do.  Be interesting to see what the sales trend is on the new VTX for the next couple years and if the 2015 and down values rise more than they are already doing.

I think since the VLX grew to 22', the surfing capability of the smaller VTX was more important.   Everyone in the showroom is probably asking about surfing.  I'd guess that most of the slalom skiers are buying them used anyway.   The idea of the new boat as wake hull and the old boat as diamond hull was pretty brilliant though.  But the market has spoken. 

Edited by River Monsters
27 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I think the fact of the matter is skiers are the minority, even VTX purchases. Some people don't want a 22 foot boat, or their lake doesn't allow it. The inboard industry is without question extremely focused on surfing right now. Yes there are a few of us who will say that we are disappointed the slalom wake isn't as good, but 99% of the people won't care. I will venture to say that the VTX is still the best cross-over on the market, even with a slightly less desirable slalom wake. Which, IMO is still somewhat TBD until more of us ski it.

Local dealer told me a couple years ago that they stock the G3 ski racks because a high percentage of people who buy a VTX from them also buys a ski rack.  Guess I don't care, I've got mine and don't plan on selling it.

23 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I'd get the sport 200 with plug n play before the new vtx. 

Dealer also told me this last weekend I could get more for my '13 than I originally paid for it. Probably a function of a few things - cdn$, increase in new boat prices generally and the new vtx no longer being a ski boat. Says they could sell my '13 above what I paid in less than a day. 

I also understand nautique is continuing to try and add NSS to the sport 200 - key being to do it without effing up hull and ski wake. 

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Local dealer told me a couple years ago that they stock the G3 ski racks because a high percentage of people who buy a VTX from them also buys a ski rack.  Guess I don't care, I've got mine and don't plan on selling it.

A ski rack for the VTX is almost a must since you cannot fit a ski in the rear locker (at least I can't fit a 67" slalom ski in my '14). There is always the side storage, but it too feels limited. 

Its unfortunate to hear about the wake on the new model. I really liked the interior look and cockpit when I saw it at this years boat show. I suppose it boils down to what you are coming from - prior to the VTX I was primarily skiing off a buddy's 23' MC and I'm sure the new VTX has to have a smaller wake. 

You guys hit the nail on the head. Looks the the 13-16 VTX is the sweet spot. The market is oriented around surfing at the moment. I bit my lip in disbelief when I was looking at the 16 VTX and the salesman told me that the slalom wake would be better with this hull change. Here are some options if you want the best of both worlds:

1. Buy 2 boats. Storage, maintenance, lifts and costs to 2 run boats is an issue. I'd personally buy a newer larger v-drive that can make a better surf and wakeboard wake and entertain people. Then look for an older direct drive in your budget. My budget for that Direct drive would be 10k. I know this isn't an attractive option for people that don't live on a lake.

2. Become friends with someone that has a boat with a nice wake for the sports that you want to do that your boat lacks. Numerous people on my local lake do this. I most commonly run this system with my friend who lives on the lake with a MC prostar. If we want to use a boom, slalom, or bf tricks we use his. If we want to entertain, surf, wakeboard, or barefoot with more people in the boat, we use ours. 

Unfortunately the sport nautique 200 may now be a better crossover option to the VTX.

9 minutes ago, jaciche said:

You guys hit the nail on the head. Looks the the 13-16 VTX is the sweet spot. The market is oriented around surfing at the moment. I bit my lip in disbelief when I was looking at the 16 VTX and the salesman told me that the slalom wake would be better with this hull change. Here are some options if you want the best of both worlds:

1. Buy 2 boats. Storage, maintenance, lifts and costs to 2 run boats is an issue. I'd personally buy a newer larger v-drive that can make a better surf and wakeboard wake and entertain people. Then look for an older direct drive in your budget. My budget for that Direct drive would be 10k. I know this isn't an attractive option for people that don't live on a lake.

2. Become friends with someone that has a boat with a nice wake for the sports that you want to do that your boat lacks. Numerous people on my local lake do this. I most commonly run this system with my friend who lives on the lake with a MC prostar. If we want to use a boom, slalom, or bf tricks we use his. If we want to entertain, surf, wakeboard, or barefoot with more people in the boat, we use ours. 

Unfortunately the sport nautique 200 may now be a better crossover option to the VTX.

Well 13-15 if you care about surfgate and 10-15 if you don't.  16 is the problem child ;)

49 minutes ago, sounddude03 said:

A ski rack for the VTX is almost a must since you cannot fit a ski in the rear locker (at least I can't fit a 67" slalom ski in my '14). There is always the side storage, but it too feels limited. 

Its unfortunate to hear about the wake on the new model. I really liked the interior look and cockpit when I saw it at this years boat show. I suppose it boils down to what you are coming from - prior to the VTX I was primarily skiing off a buddy's 23' MC and I'm sure the new VTX has to have a smaller wake. 

Yeah.  We keep 2 67's in bags in the side storage with our paddle board paddles when we are not using them.

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Well 13-15 if you care about surfgate and 10-15 if you don't.  16 is the problem child ;)

Yeah.  We keep 2 67's in bags in the side storage with our paddle board paddles when we are not using them.

We keep 1 69", 1 65" a pair of combos and two paddles in the side.  Lots of room.  Bit of a pain sometimes getting them in and out.  But doable!

1 hour ago, Malibuzer said:

We keep 1 69", 1 65" a pair of combos and two paddles in the side.  Lots of room.  Bit of a pain sometimes getting them in and out.  But doable!

Not sure if the access has changed in the 16'? I can only just get a 67" in with bindings down. The rear ballast tank pump system really impedes access between the rear locker and the side locker.

11 minutes ago, ozresponse2 said:

Not sure if the access has changed in the 16'? I can only just get a 67" in with bindings down. The rear ballast tank pump system really impedes access between the rear locker and the side locker.

must have. In a 2012 it is almost flat from the transom to the spotter seat. 

21 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

must have. In a 2012 it is almost flat from the transom to the spotter seat. 

Definitely not in this. Prob 4" gap under rear seats between rear and port side locker. Then side locker very deep. This is why I had my bimini made to hold slalom skis. Wishful thinking that I would use it as a slalom boat :)

Just took some photos of storage

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/ozresponse1/media/image.jpeg.html?o=2

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/ozresponse1/media/image_3.jpeg.html?o=1

Edited by ozresponse2

The 2016 23 lsv also has poor wind screen visibility. There seems to be only a few inches between the dash and the frame; therefore, not much room to see through so i end up standing, plus with the bow rise it is difficult to see. Also, my surfband is a dud too. I am not even sure where the band is.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • Like 1