Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter

GaryB

I'll be picking up a 97 Sunsetter in the next couple weeks! 

We needed some more room. We wakeboard, ski and foot, and we're coming from a ' 73 nautique. 

What are some of the first things I should be going through on the boat? 

320 monsoon powered.

I'll use a boom and skylon.

Need a Bimini, an upgrade prop ( still has the stainless prop on it) , and a cover. 

Bimini and cover recommendations? 

Thanks,

Gary

1 hour ago, GaryB said:

I'll be picking up a 97 Sunsetter in the next couple weeks! 

We needed some more room. We wakeboard, ski and foot, and we're coming from a ' 73 nautique. 

What are some of the first things I should be going through on the boat? 

320 monsoon powered.

I'll use a boom and skylon.

Need a Bimini, an upgrade prop ( still has the stainless prop on it) , and a cover. 

Bimini and cover recommendations? 

Thanks,

Gary

Perfect pass!!

• Like 2

Congrats!  Are you located in central Michigan?  Cory at Evolution Covers is great.  [email protected]

Edge in Portage might be worth the drive to look it over and get the maintenance up to date.  The new Tommy's in Grand Rapids is also an option for Malibu service.

You are me 3 years a go. I went from a 1983 mastercraft to a 96 sunsetter. You are going to be super pleased!

Perfect pass this year if you do anything at all. I had a buddy buy the same boat as me at the same time. I bought Perfect pass he did not. We put something like 80 hours on my boat and 20 on his that first summer. You can hand throttle these but I actually found it much harder to hold speed in the new boat compared to my old Mastercraft (I considered myself pretty good at it in the MC). I know it is hard to pay for something like that right after a boat purchase but I would suggest PP before props and biminis. 

New is always fun and exciting though and that's a great boat! Congrats!

Nice boat!

If you want to shine up that gel at the rub rail here is my tutorial: 

enjoy!

Edited by 95echelon
  • Like 1

Bought a Westland 3-Bow Bimini last year with Sunbrella Fabric.  Make sure to pay the extra for all stainless hardware.  Pretty pleased, for a generic bimini it works really well.

Just a tip: I used the windshield bolts for the front straps (I hate drilling hole in my gelcoat).  Had to drill for the rear straps though.

Edited by solorex

We're in Cincinnati, the Bimini is for my wife, the prop will be for piece of mind, I'll try to  find a take-out perfect pass. 

The nautique is hot rodded and holds speed so well the pp would be overkill. 

I don't mind living without the pp for a while, I'm expecting some odds and ends on this boat will need attention and will set aside some budget for that. 

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this was a one owner boat that probably spent some time in storage. Not sun faded at all, some beaching damage on the hull. Some critter chewed on the teak platform. 

Pretty cool to get all the factory documents with a 20 year old boat.

Originally sold by Skiers Pier in Waterford MI. 

Came with a '97 brochure, owners manual, indmar manual, stereo manual, marine vinyl card, lowrance depth sounder instructions, zf transmission manual, Morse helm manual and Morse mv2  manual. 

Snow showers in the morning...

Also have a 97 Sunsetter LX been looking at Biminis.  Check out www.towerbiminis.com . They can also incorporate surf pockets into their Biminis . 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First day in the water!

Rigged, ready to roll. Boat performed really well, couple of minor things to take care of.

Barefooted until the tubers got out if bed, full tank of fuel and 5 people in the boat, we got 46 GPS with the stock stainless prop, I figure a 515 will improve hole shot, speed holding and top end. 

On 5/30/2016 at 6:55 AM, GaryB said:

First day in the water!

Rigged, ready to roll. Boat performed really well, couple of minor things to take care of.

Barefooted until the tubers got out if bed, full tank of fuel and 5 people in the boat, we got 46 GPS with the stock stainless prop, I figure a 515 will improve hole shot, speed holding and top end. 

I was told to look at a 4 blade prop for my 98 sunsetter.  Not sure which one and I haven't started doing any research yet.  Maybe someone else on here has some more info.

I did use this (https://www.wakemakers.com/malibu-wakeboard-boat-propellers) guide for my echelon.  However I've also been told to call up and talk to acme.

Edited by Arick

@Gary B :  I would not recommend a 4 blade particularly for footing.  The newer CNC props have more blade area, so a CNC 3 blade has as much blade area as the older cast 4 blades.  4 Blades will reduce top speed ~1-2 mph.  I have been happy with the table from a 3 blade Acme, I think the OJ also gets good reviews for footing table.  The 3 blade CNC props will provide plenty of grip (acceleration) to get the job done.  515 is an excellent prop, I would call Acme prior to purchase to get their input, they are great at customer feedback and suggestions, you might end up with a 525 although the 515 does work very well. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to get the boat to  below a half tank of fuel and just three or four of us in the boat and dial in the speed vs. RPM, then give acme a call.  

• 3 weeks later...

Put the 515 on this weekend:

Hole shot: much better.

Smoothness: better.

Throttle response at 20-40 mph: much better.

Lost one mph on the top end, topped out at just over 45mph, 4900rpm,  5 people in the boat and basically a full fuel tank. 

Holds speed really well with a footer in the water, pulled my partner, 43-44, had some throttle left.

The boat drives like a smaller boat, doesn't turn as flat as a Nautique, and handles differently because of it. 

Gary

• Like 3

We have been boaters now for 10 years, I left the plug out one time in the correct craft. Said to myself, no harm done, that will never happen again, I'll always remember to put the plug back in. 

I was 100 percent correct, I was not correct about putting the PLUGS back in! 

Put the boat in the water Friday evening, put the plug in under the doghouse and put her in the water. (Did not put the transom plug in). 

Noticed some wet carpet in the back of the boat! Luckily, the bilge pump could almost keep up, got it on a lift and drained it. Again, no harm done, just another learning opportunity!