Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anyone use new wake makers locker bags for 2016 23 LSV?

chrisnorem

7 hours ago, Jarmin said:

@IXFE what ballast are you running in your 16' LSV? I've just got the 1k bow bag and the rear locker 740 from wakemakers. What settings would you suggest for a nice long wave? 

I have the same WM bags as you have (note: they are a little smaller than last year), and I have the Sumo 650 bow triangle. 

39A608EF-8BAB-4BDB-A347-CA67AC1B7F7C_zps

93DA56CD-0D9B-495E-9C75-7BF5C87A8D05_zps

7 minutes ago, SnubNose said:

Probably need prop too at that point ? Or can I run stock prop 

Yeah, you should be running the 2315 or 2419 prop. 

11 hours ago, mikeo said:

A quick word of advice: if you run the wakemakers "max capacity" bags (827 lbs) in a '15 then look under the rear corner seats for the two bolts that hold the seat back in place. Mine were 1"+ of raw threads sticking down and would have punctured the bags if I didn't put a cap over them. You don't want to spend all that money on "custom" bags just to have them puncture the first time you fill them. I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about...

id definitly have the dealer put that one on the Malibu if that was the case, but i would still check to be sure you dont ruin a weekend and a pair of custom bags

8 hours ago, Jarmin said:

@IXFE what ballast are you running in your 16' LSV? I've just got the 1k bow bag and the rear locker 740 from wakemakers. What settings would you suggest for a nice long wave? 

i run the sumo 900's in rear (prbably get 800 out of them) and the sumo 650 triangle in the bow - 2315 will do the job, but the 2419 is my preference with my 350.

regular side we run all loaded with wedge 2-3 clicks 11.4 - 11.6 , Goofy wedge 1-2 clicks 11.6 -12.0

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Jarmin said:

@IXFE are you rear bags vented? I would've thought the fill line would have been ontop of the bags?

Not vented with a hose. I twist open those black fittings on top while they fill. That lets air escape. As the bags reach capacity I tighten the fittings back down. 

On 7/13/2016 at 6:53 PM, IXFE said:

Not vented with a hose. I twist open those black fittings on top while they fill. That lets air escape. As the bags reach capacity I tighten the fittings back down. 

@IXFE you might want to look in to the "kinetic air vents" from DripDepot.com so you don't have to crack the fittings on every fill:

https://www.dripdepot.com/item/kinetic-air-vent-and-vacuum-relief-valve-size-1-inch-w-pressure-check-no

I put these on my wakemakers "exact fit" 827 lb bags in the lockers and they work well when I fill them all the way up. They spill a bit based on the movement of the boat if the bags aren't completely full so I'm not using them until I get my prop issues figured out. That's what I get for running 3000 lbs + MLS on the base Monsoon 350.

BTW: what prop did you run on your '15?

33 minutes ago, mikeo said:

@IXFE you might want to look in to the "kinetic air vents" from DripDepot.com so you don't have to crack the fittings on every fill:

https://www.dripdepot.com/item/kinetic-air-vent-and-vacuum-relief-valve-size-1-inch-w-pressure-check-no

I put these on my wakemakers "exact fit" 827 lb bags in the lockers and they work well when I fill them all the way up. They spill a bit based on the movement of the boat if the bags aren't completely full so I'm not using them until I get my prop issues figured out. That's what I get for running 3000 lbs + MLS on the base Monsoon 350.

BTW: what prop did you run on your '15?

Great tip!

I ran 2315 on my '15 LSV.  It had the 6.0L motor

• 3 weeks later...
On July 13, 2016 at 8:53 PM, IXFE said:

Bringing this back up.

I have the '16LSV locker bags from Wakemakers. The vented caps didn't really let the air out fast enough with the big factory pumps and hoses. You would be better off removing one of the caps to let the air out faster. I crossed drilled the caps in the opposite side of the cap therefore doubling the vent holes. Now the caps vent much better with 8 holes instead of 4. Loosen all 4 caps and with for the water to trickle out.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Bringing this back up.

I have the '16LSV locker bags from Wakemakers. The vented caps didn't really let the air out fast enough with the big factory pumps and hoses. You would be better off removing one of the caps to let the air out faster. I crossed drilled the caps in the opposite side of the cap therefore doubling the vent holes. Now the caps vent much better with 8 holes instead of 4. Loosen all 4 caps and with for the water to trickle out.

Yes, Ronnie... I've noticed the small holes don't vent fast enough. So I am in the habit of just taking one of one cap per side all the way out, pushing the bag down (until it gets to the water level) and then screwing the cap back on. I like your idea of cross drilling the caps for more air flow... hadn't thought of that 

Honestly, this is the most frustrating part about Malibu PnP. I much preferred my set up last year  when I had dedicated reversible pumps. My bags were vented out the side of the boat and I never had to burp them. 

At a minimum WM should install an easier fitting at the top of their bags to allow burping (i.e. the fittings found on top of all Sumo bags... just push the button in the middle and it escapes all the air w/out having to unscrew anything). 

This is the fitting I'm taking about (ignore the hose)

7A89C889-8CC9-4863-81CC-8A65B090D3D2_zps

Edited by IXFE

My dealer ran a vent line from the top of the WM bags that Y's into the hard tank vent line. Seems to work fine.  The line can get pinned between the wall and the bag occasionally, but that is probably fixable if I tried.  

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Yes, Ronnie... I've noticed the small holes don't vent fast enough. So I am in the habit of just taking one of one cap per side all the way out, pushing the bag down (until it gets to the water level) and then screwing the cap back on. I like your idea of cross drilling the caps for more air flow... hadn't thought of that 

Honestly, this is the most frustrating part about Malibu PnP. I much preferred my set up last year  when I had dedicated reversible pumps. My bags were vented out the side of the boat and I never had to burp them. 

At a minimum WM should install an easier fitting at the top of their bags to allow burping (i.e. the fittings found on top of all Sumo bags... just push the button in the middle and it escapes all the air w/out having to unscrew anything). 

This is the fitting I'm taking about (ignore the hose)

7A89C889-8CC9-4863-81CC-8A65B090D3D2_zps

I like the caps venting instead of bothering with a vent hose being in the way when the bags are empty.

Have you looked at your valve in the Sumo bag? The spring and top of the plunger are rusting on my bow bag, the plunger is rusting on the floor bag, the spring is not there. I've used the floor bag maybe 5 times. I'm going to call Spencer and see if I can get it replaced before they are rusted away and the plunger falls into the bag.

Coupla questions.  Wakemakers lists a 50X21X20 800 pound sac along with the custom bags.  It is $300, whereas the custom ones are $430-450 (VLX/LSV).  The Flyhigh 750's are a little over $150 each.  Has anyone used the 50X21X20 that WM lists?  How about the generic Flyhighs?  The custom ones I'm sure are nice, but for a 2-3 fold, are they really worth it?  I assume the price is per bag, given that it asks port or starboard, but by chance is the price for both sides?

FWIW, I have a bow triangle, and have been running the 550's.  Surf wave is nice and long, but not as high or peaky as I used to get on the Axis (ran 750's rear with its full PnP including bow bag).

Edited by 67King
1 hour ago, 67King said:

Coupla questions.  Wakemakers lists a 50X21X20 800 pound sac along with the custom bags.  It is $300, whereas the custom ones are $430-450 (VLX/LSV).  The Flyhigh 750's are a little over $150 each.  Has anyone used the 50X21X20 that WM lists?  How about the generic Flyhighs?  The custom ones I'm sure are nice, but for a 2-3 fold, are they really worth it?  I assume the price is per bag, given that it asks port or starboard, but by chance is the price for both sides?

FWIW, I have a bow triangle, and have been running the 550's.  Surf wave is nice and long, but not as high or peaky as I used to get on the Axis (ran 750's rear with its full PnP including bow bag).

I don't have the customs (sumo 900s) my neighbor runs the 750 and we both have a similar issue with bag fit in the locker, I've been in 2 VLX's with the customs an they fit the compartment nicely, and didn't have to wrestle them around that I noticed.

I wrestle with mine a bit to make sure I get the best fit for the bag to form in the the locker space. Is that worth the additional cost..... That's up to you. Next time I'd go for the customs. At the time I was really cost conscious because the $$was a huge step up from or 2001. But I ripped that bandaid off .

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

Apologize for my ignorance, I'm in the market of purchasing "new to me" 2013 23 LSV with all the factory ballasts (hard tanks) and is equipped with a surf gate. Will the surf size be small to where above floor bags are necessary? Im seeing some of these pictures of the bow bags and I'm already getting anxiety.  

@Raffit78 you can get a good wave with stock MLS and plug N play bags in the rear lockers.

the bow bag or additional bow weight does a couple things, it helps limit bow rise so you can see down the water in front of you while driving, and lengthens the wave. Depending on the size of the motor and prop you may be limited by speed of the boat at surf speeds as well so it helps get you to the 10.8-12mph marks (depending on how much PNP weight you are running)

also the size of you crew plays a factor, if you run with a bunch of peeps stash a few in the bow and you'll be fine, if it's you and the kids I'd at least consider 250lbs of lead up in the bow if the bow ballast bag scares you

• 9 months later...

I guess I'll put this here for anyone searching... Since I've added wave control and no longer surfing with a listed boat, I'm giving a try at replacing my port side dong sack on my 2006 06 247 LSV with the Wakemakers LBS 910 bags. 45 x 25w x 20h. I had a fly high 1100 on the port side, but felt that it fit a little sloppy. It is 50 x 24 x 24 and really a little on the big side. OK to use if you have one laying around, but I needed two fill ports on the bottom as i fill each side with 2 Johnson pumps. 1" instead of 3/4" x 2 fitting should help also. So I just bought matching 910's to keep everything consistent. I was up in the air between the 910's and the 1240 (45 x 25 x 25), and am totally glad I went with the 910's... I feel they just fit perfect. the 1240's may have filled with a few more pounds, but we're talking less than 100 per side. I just put the port side in to make sure the 910 was the right way to go.

f06ea8ed-a2b2-4142-bb2b-5569dd6b8a8a_zps

I ordered the larger WM bags for my 17 and just fill them about 80% since I am not running any extra bow weight. I will eventually probably order a bag for the bow, but even if I don't I like having the option of the larger bags in the rear for if I do order the bow bag.

• 1 month later...

It would be great to see boat year/model listed and pics of the make/model bags empty and full.  I will snap some pics this week of my 15 23 LSV that dealer installed custom 827lbs pnp's.