Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loan rates

Ifinallygota21v

On 1/11/2017 at 11:14 AM, Choiceind said:

As of Aug 15', MB financial gave me 6.62% 10 year loan. First recreational loan for me, high 700's fico. 35% down by choice (8000 down, purchase was 22,500)

Bump from several pages back to get back on topic.   

• Like 1

It's boat show season, easy enough to compare loan rates at the boat show to see who has the best rate. At the show here most of the banks and credit unions will have booths with loan rate sheets (many offering special boat show rates as well). 

On 1/22/2017 at 9:52 PM, Fman said:

There is also just some things in life that just are not good investments, boats are definitely one of them regardless if you pay cash or finance it.  Sometimes you have to look at what your get out of it, time with your family, making some great memories and walking out to your garage and seeing a beautiful boat with some pride of ownership ready to head out on the water!  20 years from now really wont make a financial make or break difference for most of us on here BUT you will have some great memories to look back on with your family and friends which are priceless and the best investment possible!

Remember you cant take it with you anyway, work hard and play hard :thumbup:

On 1/24/2017 at 2:01 PM, Nitrousbird said:

That's fine and dandy...but that doesn't mean you need a 130k new boat to make those memories, when a very nice 30k used boat will make the same ones.  Many folks don't seem to grasp that.

You're both right IMO.   I don't have any more fun in my 247 than I did in my first 1987 Sunsetter (In fact, I still miss the old 'setter).  The magic is creating memories with the family, personalizing your boat and taking pride in ownership.  I have yet to buy a brand new boat, but I'm guilty of selling and upgrading used ones beyond what was "needed" for sure.  

There's no wrong answer unless you overextend yourself financially, and don't have time to boat anyway.  I'm just thankful those people eventually sell low-hour used boats to people like me.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Fman said:

Maybe you need to purchase a new boat and experience the difference between a 30k boat and 130k boat.   Some people don't grasp this either, but hey its fine and dandy either way! :biggrin:

I have been on boats much more expensive than mine.  Ones that make a much bigger wake, have fancier features and cost a lot more. 

Sure, it is a nice to have.  That doesn't mean you can't have a great time in a much less expensive boat.  I'm working on convincing the wife to upgrade.  Will I have more fun than our current boat or better memories?  Probably not.  Better wake and more space...damn well better if we are spending more, or I'll just keep our current ride.

15 minutes ago, rugger said:

I'm just thankful those people eventually sell low-hour used boats to people like me.

I'm going to start hanging out with you, so both of us can upgrade to low hour 25's in a couple years.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I have been on boats much more expensive than mine.  Ones that make a much bigger wake, have fancier features and cost a lot more. 

Sure, it is a nice to have.  That doesn't mean you can't have a great time in a much less expensive boat.  I'm working on convincing the wife to upgrade.  Will I have more fun than our current boat or better memories?  Probably not.  Better wake and more space...damn well better if we are spending more, or I'll just keep our current ride.

Yeah everyone spends money on different things in life.  Some take fancy vacations, new cars, homes, RVs, etc.... I do think @Nitrousbird you deserve a new Malibu! nothing better than a custom order built "Nitrous style" how you like it!  With the new surf systems, creature comforts, seating options, towers, etc... I do see some good value in new boats over older models plus a 5 year warranty is also not a bad thing either.  And although boats do depreciate they do hold value better than most newer vehicles.  Obviously I have a complete sickness (admittingly) seeing as I am on my fourth Malibu but it is something I personally enjoy and have a great time with my family and friends.  I am looking forward to my Exile install coming in a couple months :thumbup:

Edited by Fman
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'm with you on having a lower priced used boat but I sure am glad there are people out there with the means to buy them new and take care of them for a few years so we can buy them later! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fman said:

Yeah everyone spends money on different things in life.  Some take fancy vacations, new cars, homes, RVs, etc.... I do think @Nitrousbird you deserve a new Malibu! nothing better than a custom order built "Nitrous style" how you like it!  With the new surf systems, creature comforts, seating options, towers, etc... I do see some good value in new boats over older models plus a 5 year warranty is also not a bad thing either.  And although boats do depreciate they do hold value better than most newer vehicles.  Obviously I have a complete sickness (admittingly) seeing as I am on my fourth Malibu but it is something I personally enjoy and have a great time with my family and friends.  I am looking forward to my Exile install coming in a couple months :thumbup:

I've always been a fan of finding a good deal on a holdover.  I have a 3 year old boat that I purchased new as a holdover (I bought a 2014 in 2015).  I paid the same price that dealers are currently selling the same boat used with 70 hours on them.  If you don't need the newest/greatest, there are a lot of deals to be had out there.  If I would have done a custom order on a boat I think it would have cost me around another 20-25K.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jtryon said:

new or used, and if so how old did they go for used?

Used 09 purchased a couple years ago. 

Edited by jcarr343