Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for help with the next IXFE boat design...

IXFE

ahopkins22LSV

Nice work! So if you wanted to you could always swap back to the sport knob right? Like if a buyer wanted it back? Not sure if I would or not... I do like the wedge/gate controls on there though.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Nice work! So if you wanted to you could always swap back to the sport knob right? Like if a buyer wanted it back? Not sure if I would or not... I do like the wedge/gate controls on there though.

Oh yeah... It's an easy fix. The entire plate is held on with four nuts. Pop it off, remove media center and backing plate. Reinstall knob module, which consists of three nuts and and one plug. Reinstall the plate. Done. 

If I did this, it just means I'd have to install a stereo toggle switch somewhere and wire it to the ZLD. Also I'd have to install a Bluetooth module wired to the ZLD as well. 

Total job would take < 1 hour. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that I need to re-wrap the backing plate now that I have a piece of factory vinyl. 

0F1F2105-83DC-4FBE-ACF9-186F2F12CA6D_zps

Dave, that turned out awesome, very nice work on the exile media center mount, it looks factory installed.  How does the Exile 12" sound in Qbomb box? Good enough? or are you missing the big 12 bomber sub from last season?

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:32 AM, IXFE said:

More progress tonight...

242D68A8-EF70-4265-BD2A-89C5B721DAC0_zps

F418F601-6701-4218-A89E-5407F4B91AB2_zps

AFC5B9D8-6ABC-4BEE-A6E8-FD1F391CC159_zps

B5D2DAC4-6077-4250-A27D-5CD06D8085A8_zps

8B8281E8-6467-4493-B3AE-96AAFE81BA13_zps

IXFE I am getting ready to do my Q bomb in a couple weeks and had a couple questions.   

1. How tall are your feet on the bottom of the sub.

2. How did you attach them Screws or adhesive? 

3. What gauge wire should I use for the sub, as well as connectors or ring terminals? 

29 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

IXFE I am getting ready to do my Q bomb in a couple weeks and had a couple questions.   

3. What gauge wire should I use for the sub, as well as connectors or ring terminals? 

Take a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliable-Hardware-Company-RH-1606-8-A-Amplifier/dp/B00JJ191Z6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

1 hour ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

@IXFE What size of screws are you using to attach the hinges to the floor? 

Edited by ponderosasurf
On 4/17/2016 at 11:11 AM, Fman said:

Dave, that turned out awesome, very nice work on the exile media center mount, it looks factory installed.  How does the Exile 12" sound in Qbomb box? Good enough? or are you missing the big 12 bomber sub from last season?

When I first mounted the Xi12 in the Qbomb and did a sound check, I was a little disappointed.  But after final installation and a tune, it sounds amazing.  Honesty, I like it better than my ported Big 12, which was a just a little too boomy for my taste.  The Xi12 seems like it hits more notes, but it can still shake the floor, which I kinda like.  Very impressed with this setup.  No reason to do anything more complicated, imho.  

I bet when you were first to buy the Q Bomb you had no idea what you were starting, huh?  So many guys are running that box now.  Thanks a bunch for your help with the install.

10 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

1. I used blocks cut from pressure treated 2x4.  So that makes them 1.5" tall.    It's not elegant, I know.  But it works.  There are probably better options, but this was readily available and moisture resistant.  I layered the top and bottom of the blocks with two layers of Dynamat to avoid rattles or having the wood against the fiberglass.  Oh, and I only have a block in three corners.  The rear right corner rests on the sloping hull.  I wrapped that corner with a piece of Dynamat too.  I didn't want anything too hard up against the fiberglass.  

2. I used 2" screws... Two of them for each block.  I pre-drilled each block as well as the box.  I didn't want to split the blocks by just driving the screws straight in.  

3.  I used 12G this year.  In the past I've used 14G.  I used these yellow guys to connect speaker wire to the box (both inside and outside).

Wire_connector.jpg

10 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Not sure if you had luck with these and the Qbomb box, but I don't think these are tall enough.  My blocks are 1.5" tall and I could have used another half inch.  At 16" the depth of the Qbomb is the only constraint.  The higher you raise it the further you can push it back.  Obviously if you push it too high it looks silly.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ponderosasurf said:

@IXFE What size of screws are you using to attach the hinges to the floor? 

Thread is #8

Length is 5/8" (just long enough to bite into the fiberglass; only slightly longer than screws that hold the snaps in)  

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you know I am enjoying this thread and the great stuff you have done.  

I built my last sub box and like you, I will not do that again.  It was just much more time consuming that it would seem like it should be.  

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! How are you liking the HC Pro? And what setup on the fins do you run? I just put a deposit down on one sized for me (5'2" board) and it should be here in a few weeks. Can't wait to get it. 

54 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

Beautiful! How are you liking the HC Pro? And what setup on the fins do you run? I just put a deposit down on one sized for me (5'2" board) and it should be here in a few weeks. Can't wait to get it. 

What's up, stranger!

The HC Pro is brand new. Haven't ridden this one yet, although I demo'd one the week after we rode the Silver Surfer down in AZ last fall. Matter of fact, that day was the first time I really fell in love with Soulcraft. You guys ruined me forever!!

i have no clue on fins. What you see above is exactly how it arrived from the factory. Gonna be fun getting to know this whip!

4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

What's up, stranger!

The HC Pro is brand new. Haven't ridden this one yet, although I demo'd one the week after we rode the Silver Surfer down in AZ last fall. Matter of fact, that day was the first time I really fell in love with Soulcraft. You guys ruined me forever!!

i have no clue on fins. What you see above is exactly how it arrived from the factory. Gonna be fun getting to know this whip!

Nice. Excited to hear your write up and opinion of it. Your boat is gorgeous...and your board is just sick. In total envy over here.