Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picky Issues with My New 2016 VLX

mallen

28 minutes ago, Meatball said:

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that has this problem I bought a 2015 MXZ 24 and have had quality issues from day one.  I talked to many of the Malibu reps and they always say will fix it will make it right this and that and nothing ever comes of it and I didn't spend $140,000 to have something worked on or fixed . I am currently having most of the vinyl replaced in the entire boat seats lasted about 32 hours I think is what I have on the boat. I wish I would've found this website before I bought mine it would of  changed my decision  and went with master raft or nautique!!!!!!,

32 hours and all the vinyl has needed to be replaced????????????:blush:

Edited by Fman
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Fman said:

32 hours and all the vinyl has needed to be replaced????????????:blush:

Speaking of vinyl issues, my 2015 back centre seat cushion is splitting where the beading is.  Started out a few months back but is getting significantly worse now!!  The dealer is awesome and has given me new skins and will fit them whenever I ask them to - but my problem is I cannot see how it won't happen again as it is where everyone steps into the boat off the sun pad. The stitching is being stretched as the cushion compresses/sinks.   Has anyone else had this issue?  What did you do to stop it?  Ps 150hours...

Edited by PeteOOXXOO
8 hours ago, Meatball said:

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that has this problem I bought a 2015 MXZ 24 and have had quality issues from day one.  I talked to many of the Malibu reps and they always say will fix it will make it right this and that and nothing ever comes of it and I didn't spend $140,000 to have something worked on or fixed . I am currently having most of the vinyl replaced in the entire boat seats lasted about 32 hours I think is what I have on the boat. I wish I would've found this website before I bought mine it would of  changed my decision  and went with master raft or nautique!!!!!!,

Read open forums that they do not control and you will see that they have their share of issues as well.

Nothing hand built by man is perfect. Nothing.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

Speaking of vinyl issues, my 2015 back centre seat cushion is splitting where the beading is.  Started out a few months back but is getting significantly worse now!!  The dealer is awesome and has given me new skins and will fit them whenever I ask them to - but my problem is I cannot see how it won't happen again as it is where everyone steps into the boat off the sun pad. The stitching is being stretched as the cushion compresses/sinks.   Has anyone else had this issue?  What did you do to stop it?  Ps 150hours...

Try and step directly on seams when stepping down.  They'll be less likely to pull and stretch.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

2015 23 LSV had same issue start at 290hrs. I took pictures with phone, sent to my dealers service manager, Malibu made it right by replacing it with new. I'm not going to jump up or down on it quickly when accessing stern from now on and ask kids, dogs, ice chests, 200+ lbers and other amped individuals doing the same. I'm going to condition my seats more regularly and limit the amount of seat cleaner used after each end of day wipe down. I believe this to will help because I live in a dry climate and seats take a beating also in sun. In summary cleaner, dry climate, and sun dry the upholstery and stitching out, making it susceptible to damage. Conditioning upholstery more often should help protect against this issue by giving more flexibility to material. This is the most stepped on piece in stern, increasing exposure to wear and tear. I hope preventative helps.

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

I am close to 300 hours and have had three seams separate.   The upholstery guy (who is also a friend) said that putting a stiffer foam will solve the issue.  So that is what he did to my center seat last fall.  He said that is normally a $100 fix.

On 9/13/2015 at 9:41 PM, oldjeep said:
On 9/13/2015 at 9:35 PM, MadMan said:

Interesting to compare to JD Powers initial quality. Best cars are a little less that 1 problem per vehicle, worst are about 1.5 problems per vehicle. The boating industry appears to be many times that number.

For it to be a valid comparison you would need to be comparing to a low volume hand built car.

I typically relate boat building to houses. All houses are built by hand with many different systems. If you have ever had a house built, I'm sure it wasn't 100% from the start. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, motoring said:

I typically relate boat building to houses. All houses are built by hand with many different systems. If you have ever had a house built, I'm sure it wasn't 100% from the start. 

My Lamborghini wasn't either. ;)

14 hours ago, RyanB said:

I am close to 300 hours and have had three seams separate.   The upholstery guy (who is also a friend) said that putting a stiffer foam will solve the issue.  So that is what he did to my center seat last fall.  He said that is normally a $100 fix.

Thanks Ryan - that could be the way to go ?

On 2/22/2017 at 10:28 PM, Meatball said:

I wish I would've found this website before I bought mine it would of  changed my decision  and went with master raft or nautique!!!!!!,

You obviously didn't look very hard... :Doh:

Page 1, first hit... 

AA002A94-DA40-4C37-8C06-E1B07782D05A_zps

• Like 2
On 2/22/2017 at 9:28 PM, Meatball said:

Meatball,

Trust me when I  say your not the only one to have issues with that series of boat!  

To expect perfection is not realistic, EVERY new boat regardless of brand, will have some issues, that comes with the territory.  I will agree though that a certain level of reliability should be expected.  

On 2/23/2017 at 8:08 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Read open forums that they do not control and you will see that they have their share of issues as well.

Nothing hand built by man is perfect. Nothing.

Ya..... I wouldn't say that Nautique has any less vinyl issues. I certainly had my fair share on my '16 G. I can say that I had 5 MCs in a row with 0 vinyl issues, and I haven't seen any threads about vinyl seam issues, or tears, in years...... but that doesn't mean there isn't other stuff...

I am currently in the middle of a huge project on a peterbilt semi truck, that got me thinking the other day......... I have a small fleet of tractor trailers (10 trucks), and they are all a very highly customized spec. These heavy trucks are largely assembled by hand, because they have 1000 different options/specs. Several engine choices, several transmission choices, wheelbases that vary from 160" to 360"+, options on 1-30 different gauges, PTOs, light placements, 6 different sleepers sizes, interior colors, sleeper options for stereo and heating cooling, different types of auxiliary power units, exterior paint that is fully customizable from the factory, fuel/air/hydraulic tanks that are customized for size and location on the truck, and he list goes on an on......... the spec sheets on these things are 10+ pages long. The amount of custom options on a semi truck, makes a boat spec look like a cake walk.

With all of that said...... I can tell you that they might not be "perfect", but they are damn close. There is NEVER paint issues that leave the factory, there is never interior finish issues that leave the factory. They don't have screw ups on the customized portions of the specs, or early failures because of improper assembly.

That doesn't mean that they have zero issues. Sure, trucks still break. However, these things run 1,000,000+ miles, with very low occurrence of issues (except these new emission systems, which have been horrid). Otherwise, trucks require very little. The QC process at peterbilt/Kenworth is impeccable. 

Not really saying anything about the hand built boats that we know and love....... it was just something I was thinking about, while I was laying under my new truck the other day....

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, PeteOOXXOO said:

use a seat saver or just a nice thick bath mat on the seat to spread out the load.

http://seatsaver.com/wordpress/?hide_mobile_view=1

Edited by oldjeep

Yes, all boats will have issues and will need some warranty work performed at some point....it's to be expected, but that isn't what we are talking about here. 

I believe the biggest problem is with Malibu QC...  Personally, I think their QC and attention to detail is lacking compared to the competition (can only speak to MC, I've not owned nautique).

I believe malibu has amazing performance, great style, and real innovation, but QC and attention to detail is just not on par with the competition.

• Like 3

What makes a brand good is how the dealer or manufacture handles the problem, not the problem itself. If your local Malibu dealer doesn't do everything they can to fix the problem, it's putting it on Malibu itself because people will most likely think it's Malibu's fault. QC isn't the problem, everything has problems here and there, it's how they're handled which matters.

For example we own a jeep Cherokee, the service at the local dealer was great until we got to the service department... After many appointments and a short ownership later we're about to buy a Toyota.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, wheelman said:

Qc is definitely the problem. Wait till you go drop 6 plus figures on a brand new boat and find spare parts and tools lying in your bilge and simple screws in sideways and stripped. Not a single nut tightened in your wake view seats that the seat almost falls out and they are stripped. Screws and bolts missing, stereo not working properly because a simple rca plug was not connected. Gel coat that you can see through. The list could go on and on. Malibu quality has gone down hill it's as simple as that. It's all about the bottom line now since the company went public. My 2010 lsv was built twice as well as my 2015. The dealer should in no way have to be dealing with these problems right off the shelf. Malibu needs to listen up or be prepared to lose more Customers. 

eddieok.jpg

• Like 4

When you guys switch brands or stop working for Malibu then come back here and complain about the brand it makes you look terrible.  

1)too chicken to let people know your problems while you own the boat 

2)have an axe to grind with Malibu for whatever reason.  

If you don't have the stones to criticize the boat when you own it then well....Ya know.  

Like many have said all brands have issues.  Malibu is no different.  

And for the record, I'm not referring to everyone here that has commented.  Those select few know who they are.  

Edited by bamaboy

FWIW, my 2016 has been pretty dang solid.  A couple VERY minor issues the dealer is addressing now.  My dealer is 4 hours away and frankly, if my girls didn't have a dance competition near the dealer a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have likely bothered even getting my boat to them - all minor issues and zero of them that affect the on-water experience.   I know there are the lemons out there and perhaps Bu may not be quite on par with MC or Nautique (but apples to apples, those brands cost more than Bu as well), but overall I still think Malibu delivers fantastic value.   

• Like 2

I only have a little to add here in light of what @IXFE stated 

Yes..... all boats have issues . Don't kid yourself . Also as previously mentioned , some of this stuff is MINOR... and as a boat owner I feel like you should have some wherewithal to handle small issues on your own..... as the CAPTAIN of your ship. Should your 150k dollar toy be flawless? Sure ... it would be nice . ITS NOT REALITY!!! Face it. I see lots of boats , inside and out . I would say they all have spots where things could be improved . This is AGAIN where your dealer relationship is and should be a large factor in this type of purchase. They are there to help you with this type of stuff if you foster the proper relationship with them.

I wish my 500k dollar home was perfect, I wish my 70k dollar truck was perfect ... it wasn't. 

I will admit the vynil issues Malibu has had and continues to have is laughable. NOW @IXFE , He hasn't kept boats for more than a season. I have. EVERY Malibu I have owned since 2004 has had issues with the seats splitting at the beading in the rear step points. Usually occurs around the second season of use for some reason IMO. Knowing how many others have had these same issues, it's beyond me why Malibu has not taken this issue seriously in the last ... oh ... 10 years at least! 

• Like 4