Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picky Issues with My New 2016 VLX

mallen

I have had my new Bu out for three weekends now, and to be clear, my overall view is "Holy Sh*t, this thing is awesome!". I love the surf wave, the new Ford engine is awesome, the cockpit is gorgeous, etc, etc, etc. But here are a few points where I believe Malibu should have done a better job with quality control, development, fit and finish, etc.

Surf Band - This is the big one. I may just have a bad unit, but band functions are very inconsistent. Works fine standing in the boat, but when surfing it is very sporadic. Easy to tell if it works or not for a surfgate transfer, but inconsistency makes the wedge and speed adjustments useless since you never know if they worked or not. Dealer has no clue how to address, but they are talking to Malibu to try to figure it out. If this is just how it will be, this thing is a Fail on Malibu's part.

Stereo: This one has been covered repeatedly on here. I think the four Icon 8s powered by the 500x2 sound great. The rest of the stereo sucks for what it cost. Underpowered cabin speakers, warranty voiding stickers that you have to pull off to discover the amp gain is set all the way to minimum, and a horrible sub box (or maybe no box at all I understand). I wish I had done a stereo delete and built my own.

Drivers seat finish: As you can see in the pic below, when you lift the bolster you are staring at where the seat cover was roughly cut to a point and stapled to the seat. It is not really finished at all. It seems like Malibu never really intended anyone to flip up the seat bolster, but we have it up the vast majority of the time (surfing). Also, the depressed area with the two large washers fills with water with no way to drain.

20150904_133015_zpssii39bsi.jpg

Interior fit: I don't have a pic of this (will add one later) but the joint where the interior foot area wall comes together on the driver's side in front of the cooler is joined very unevenly. It is the first thing you see when you sit in the cabin, and it is very noticeable. It looks like the side wall is broken and jutting out on one side. Pretty poor finish.

Tower lights went out the second day I had it (ground wire loose; easy fix) and the surf gate transfer horn stopped working last weekend.

Like I said, I absolutely love this boat. There are a lot more things about it that are awesome than there are problems. But for spending this kind of money on a new boat, I would hope not to have issues like these.

It sure has a fun surf wave though...

20150906_185846_zpscmp6wxjb.jpg

Edited by mallen
  • Like 2

Me thinks there should be a piece of carpet covering that seat base wrapping around to hide that vinyl

I agree. That can't be what was intended. I hope it was an assembly screw up. I would inquire or look at other 2016 boats to see if they are the same. It would be an easy fix.

re: "Also, the depressed area with the two large washers fills with water with no way to drain. "

if those are studs on the top of the seat adjuster rails then keeping that water out is important.

seal w rtv else that water lays in the seat adj. rails and turns them into a nasty pile of rust.

re: "Also, the depressed area with the two large washers fills with water with no way to drain. "

if those are studs on the top of the seat adjuster rails then keeping that water out is important.

seal w rtv else that water lays in the seat adj. rails and turns them into a nasty pile of rust.

I will check tomorrow to see what is below it, because i was contemplating just drilling drain holes. But regardless, having two wells with metal parts in them under a seat where wet people often sit is pretty poor design. Especially since I have a 2 year old that always likes to "help" daddy drive while munching on Goldfish and Teddy Grahams. I end up with a gooey mess in there every time we go out.

Me thinks there should be a piece of carpet covering that seat base wrapping around to hide that vinyl

I agree, usually carpet over that area.

As noted, I'd definitely make a list and be after your dealer. Be nice, but demand they make it right. Follow up multiple times so you know, you should be a priority to them.

I just bought a 2016 23 lsv and I love it as well, but here are few issues I have with it.

1. Surfband doesn't work at all.

2. There are several places the stitching is not tight or doesn't match.

3. Wakeboard fins easily leave noticable scratches and marks on the new fabric.

4. I have eight internal speakers, three amps, a sub-woofer and two Icon 8's and I am NOT impressed with my stereo either. Factory stereos in the 2012 and 2013 models sound much better.

5. One swim platform light doesn't work. They are very little and are the exact same style as my 2010 247.

6. Starboard side rear ballast drains twice as slow as the other ballasts.

7. Front end rides very high at speeds under 15 mph. I know the wedge helps with this, but I don't like to use the wedge if I don't have to.

8. Sucks a lot of gas compared to my my previous 450 hp and my hour meter seems to move at a quicker rate than my previous 2010 247.

Other than these few issues, I would rather have it than any other brand.

The qc issues are ridiculous. It's down right comical that the seat shipped with no carpet. These boats would be a lot cheaper if they were built right the first time. If I ran my shop like malibu does I would be out of business . Malibu clearly knows more than I do..

The wake in your pic is gigantic....my 2012 is half that size at best.

There have been a lot of things wrong with my 2012. It has spent more time in the shop than on the lake. Not starting, shutting off on its own, no faster than 8 mph, cruise control problems, wedge Rams are worthless a number of times now,several different faults show up, it will lose its custom settings and return to factory when it gets shut off at times, couldn't pull me out of the water on my ski for the first 2 summers and yesterday the center tank started leaking.

I really want to like it but I sure miss my Natique.

I hate to say it but there are more issues with these boats than there should be. I don't want to pile on, but I've been in a dozen boats and panels not matching up and vinyl issues are too common.

Been in a handful of MC and Nautiques and the big issues with panels, corner flooring and stripped screw heads just aren't there.

Love my boat without a doubt, but I've been disappointed in a couple things. Overall, I would of course buy another, but you've got to check it over closely before taking delivery IMO.

Heck even my "cheap" axis has carpet under the seat

Just a personal preference. I had carpet under the seat on my vride. I don't on my LSV and for me I prefer not to have it. In Oregon climate the boat just dries out so much quicker in the early/late season.

Edit: never mind! You guys are referring to the drivers seat. Continue on :lol:

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

MAlibu should be ashamed of them selves, charging so much and turning out such a poor quality controlled product. I brought my new boat home from the lake last week and the more I look into it the more problems I find.

Problems that no way should be left from the factory like that. I mean how hard is it to put screws in straight and make sure things are tight, not stripped half way and then left. I spent a day going through my boat and

Fixing everything myself so I know it's done right and will stay that way. I should not have to do this. Why is it we spend so much money on a

Boat and find this acceptable but spend half the money on a

Vehicle that we use everyday and would not accept it. Shame on you Malibu. This will reluctantly make me look at other brands next time.

• Like 1

MAlibu should be ashamed of them selves, charging so much and turning out such a poor quality controlled product. I brought my new boat home from the lake last week and the more I look into it the more problems I find.

Problems that no way should be left from the factory like that. I mean how hard is it to put screws in straight and make sure things are tight, not stripped half way and then left. I spent a day going through my boat and

Fixing everything myself so I know it's done right and will stay that way. I should not have to do this. Why is it we spend so much money on a

Boat and find this acceptable but spend half the money on a

Vehicle that we use everyday and would not accept it. Shame on you Malibu. This will reluctantly make me look at other brands next time.

Malibu (or any manufacturer) will not fix endemic QC problems until after we have finally voted with our wallets and moved to some other brand. Just the nature of business (sadly) that if they can get away with marginal quality and still sell more boats each year, why would they pay the price to fix it?

I have said the same things from the day I brought my boat home ,How can they let such poor quality leave the factory . But that is Malibu ,why do it right when you can do it over.

Fact check...mss1_zpscl8a6xvt.jpg

I am curious to see data that has been compiled since 2013...... Can't really "fact check" with 2 year old data. I am a bit surprised that Malibu hasn't released any market share data since that initial report. There are some pretty appealing offerings from other manufacturers from 2013 till now. Ie. The G series, newer supras, and MC having a couple hugely popular models in the last few years. Combine that with narrowing of the price gap between Malibu and MC/CC.

Who knows. The trend might still be the same. It doesn't feel like it will be to me.... Certainly still in #1 position, but I would be surprised if the are still gaining.

• Like 2