Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$24 skateboard ramp wedge? Yes, please!

Dsingram

I couldn't get myself to spend 600$ on the wake shaper either, lol.  I'm just finishing painting one I made out of foam and fiberglass.  I'm going to try it next week.  I also made a spacer that fits the step down.ACCC51B9-6A37-4D7D-95FA-FE14C0321DF8_zpsA757697F-905B-4E44-B373-CC7F4FD434F3_zpsCC853F1C-1649-4342-B97A-590107011137_zps

• Like 3

I've got my two ramps put together, just waiting for the weather to come back to spring to give it a whirl.  I'm still torn on how I want to handle my LSV hull jog.... either set the whole thing below the jog / hull line, or shim it so I can place it higher... but in this case I would assume the more of the ramp that is in the water, the better it is.

Just now, sidekicknicholas said:

I've got my two ramps put together, just waiting for the weather to come back to spring to give it a whirl.  I'm still torn on how I want to handle my LSV hull jog.... either set the whole thing below the jog / hull line, or shim it so I can place it higher... but in this case I would assume the more of the ramp that is in the water, the better it is.

Use a spacer or carve out part of the ramp to match the jog.  You do not want the ramp extending below the hull - it will come off.

5 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Keep us informed of your solution and pics if possible. I got a skate ramp and ordered some industrial velcro, but the boat won't be in the water until a couple more weeks so I can't do tests, but I want to be prepared :) . I took a look at the Ronix wakeshaper in a surf shop, and the shims they come with are covered in velcro. Carving out the skate ramp to match the hull surface is not really an option if you want to be able to switch sides, so it has to be shims... can't wait to try it out!

edit: by the way the shop was selling the WakeShaper for 949 canadian $. They guy said they ordered 50 of them and said they would sell like hotcakes... I hope no one busts out a grand and finds this thread after... lol

Edited by JulioEstevez

It may not be as much of an issue on my 247, but I just ignored the hull jog.  I line it up with the bottom of the hull and let 'er rip.

but I just ignored the hull jog.  I line it up with the bottom of the hull and let 'er rip.

Did the bottom of the ramp go below the hull though?... it will for me, but maybe the 247 has more depth between jog and base of hull

The edge of the ramp lines up with bottom of the boat on mine.  But as long as it attaches to the boat a little shouldn't matter.  

On May 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM, sidekicknicholas said:

When you guys are running this wedge or any surfgate do you also run the wedge?

I did.  Made the wave taller and gave it way more push.  Could never get the boat to,surf well without the wedge

I just run the wedge, no gate.  Has anyone tried both?  I would think they would work against each other, but nothing beats trying it.

22 hours ago, Dsingram said:

I just run the wedge, no gate.  Has anyone tried both?  I would think they would work against each other, but nothing beats trying it.

How would they work against each other?  The wedge pulls the boat deeper into the water mimicking 1500 pounds of ballast, or that is what Malibu says anyway.  The gate just causes the water flow around the hull to be disrupted delaying the convergence of the waves behind the boat.  Oh my Bu, with gate & 3000 pounds the wave was not tall & had very little push, put the wedge down, wave is huge & lots of push 

3 minutes ago, racer808 said:

How would they work against each other?  The wedge pulls the boat deeper into the water mimicking 1500 pounds of ballast, or that is what Malibu says anyway.  The gate just causes the water flow around the hull to be disrupted delaying the convergence of the waves behind the boat.  Oh my Bu, with gate & 3000 pounds the wave was not tall & had very little push, put the wedge down, wave is huge & lots of push 

Wrong Wedge.  The terminology got a little confused in this thread, but here the wedge = side mount wake shaper.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I installed my skate ramp gate last weekend. I bolted 2 skate ramps together and used velcro on the hull. I filled both lockers with 750s and 540 in the bow, manual wedge down. 

WOW!! My wave has never been that long and firm. We surf at least 6 feet further from the boat. The wave has tons of push and kept the same height. I am really amazed!! 

I filled the skate ramps with foam so it floats if we ever lose it. It holds really strong, no issues there. 

I strongly recommend that setup for owners with an older boat like mine, total cost is around 75$ including the industrial velcro. I'll try to get pics next time we are out.

I was out with just my brother, didnt even have our swimsuits on (lol) but we just had to do a quick trial. The angle of the pic doesnt do it justice, it looks a little flat because is was at the helm. He is at the end of the rope and could still surf back a little further.

20160703_121441_zpsbn5q5cxp.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:29 AM, Audaddy said:

Just went to buy 2 ramps and they are $29.99 each on Amazon right now. The I noticed if you buy the "skatepark kit" you get the same 2 ramps for $47 total...You're all welcome ?

Ten-Eighty Micro Flybox Launch Ramp Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMTA58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_ErN3ybV3CYGC4

I would have thought that with all the suck gate designs that have hit the forum in the last year that velcro would be a thing of the past?
Explain to me why putting ugly looking velcro on your hull and using a skate ramp it advantageous to taking a hour and making your own with suction cups that goes on and comes of completely... $15 for a good suction and some small $$ for wood. 

On 4/4/2017 at 11:54 AM, AJwakedevil said:

I would have thought that with all the suck gate designs that have hit the forum in the last year that velcro would be a thing of the past?
Explain to me why putting ugly looking velcro on your hull and using a skate ramp it advantageous to taking a hour and making your own with suction cups that goes on and comes of completely... $15 for a good suction and some small $$ for wood. 

It was one my first posts to this site literally hours after buying my first wakeboard boat. I'm just searching for the best and cheapest options right now since my bank account took such a huge hit just to get the boat into my shop. I've since realized that the skate ramp wedge isn't the easiest, most convenient or even cheapest way to go. Ill probably build a suction cup shaper after all. Thanks for the reply though :salute:

Edited by Audaddy

How hardnwould it be to get the suction cups to the skate ramp? I paid 100$ for the one we have. Works like a champ. It's hdpe and bracket and suction cup handle. It blows me away that something so simple works can shape or brake a wave. 

• 1 month later...