Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy back system reviews

timelinex

1 hour ago, SnubNose said:

Ok I understand now. Can't make the hard tank vent line into a Y fill line because we will have same air lock problem. I called wakemAkers and told them gobbler system and they think it will work great but they are worried if you have a big bag then that's a lot of pressure for pump to push against. I only.have 600s so I should.be fine. They sent me 2 Y s and 6 clamps. 

like to hear how it goes... i do have big bags... 1100s ;)

Yeah I mean gobble is already got it done so we know it works. I'll report back when I do mine. 

So I take the hose going from fill to top of BaG and remove that. 

Measure and cut this hose so that the hose goes from the fill them Y to the hard tank and off to the bag with the connection on the back end. And the check valve thingy goes before the Y correct ? 

I'm away for a day and this thread suddenly has a bunch of activity. 

I talked to Spencer yesterday and he shared the concerns with bigger bags. Mine fill strong even when full with no water coming out the drain port, so I wouldn't think a larger bag would be an issue. My alternative was to Y a second fill line into the bag but then I'd be worried the water would choose the path of least resistance and not fill the tank. The fix would be a ball valve on the bag fill line (to fill the tank first) but they don't make a 1 1/8" valve. 

Fill hose from the air gap thing to the one way valve to the T. From the T to the tank and the bag. Get the direction correct on the T. The original fill hose beyond the check valve goes unused. I attached the vent line to the back of the bag. I'd take pics but not at the lake now. 

16 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Gobble.... thank you so much for your time and efforts.... that makes total sense to me now.... Drain time in 8 minutes??? for both???? now I must find the time to do the same :yahoo:

Yes 8 minutes. Fill was 12. Spencer said they're goal for fill is 10 min and drain sounded good. I'm actually shocked it's that quick without a drain pump on the bag. 

Edited by gobble

Just an update after several days on the water, the change with adding the Y works perfectly. The bags fill just fine and drain to almost nothing fairly quickly. Has anyone else tried this fix?

Just now, gobble said:

Just an update after several days on the water, the change with adding the Y works perfectly. The bags fill just fine and drain to almost nothing fairly quickly. Has anyone else tried this fix?

I got my Y from wakemaker. Haven't tried it yet though. Are you running 600 lbs bags

1 hour ago, gobble said:

I need to order and see... I am running 1100's so I need to test the draining ;)

This is super helpful and timely for me since I'm about to pull the trigger on the Wakemakers piggyback for my 2012 VLX.

I had a bit of trouble following the thread.  Is this what you finally went with?  So all it requires is one extra Y?

Thanks.

2ed4e612-410a-4e1e-9a3c-72dbb32647c5.jpg

5 minutes ago, pedel said:

This is super helpful and timely for me since I'm about to pull the trigger on the Wakemakers piggyback for my 2012 VLX.

I had a bit of trouble following the thread.  Is this what you finally went with?  So all it requires is one extra Y?

Thanks.

2ed4e612-410a-4e1e-9a3c-72dbb32647c5.jpg

Correct. So total for both sides would be 2 Y and 6 hose clamps 

36 minutes ago, SnubNose said:

Extra besides the parts in the wakemakers kit...

4 hours ago, SnubNose said:

I need to do this too. Have wakemakers setup and hope they will send me the fix. Will contact them tomorrow.

Just got this reply from wakemakers when I asked about this:

Hi Paul,

The Y was something that customers tried using as a temporary fix, but it's not something we recommend.

Thanks,

Jenny
Customer Advocate

51 minutes ago, pedel said:

Just got this reply from wakemakers when I asked about this:

Hi Paul,

The Y was something that customers tried using as a temporary fix, but it's not something we recommend.

Thanks,

Jenny
Customer Advocate

That's interesting. Spencer seemed to think it was a workable solution and Jason was experimenting with it. Clearly it works.

Her solution is to just not let the hard tanks fill? Did she offer a better alternative? Take a look at that picture and there aren't many other options.

Glad I found this thread. Having the same issue with piggyback system I purchased earlier this summer for my 2010 LSV.   I have the version with 2 drain ports in bottom of bag (which gravity flow into hard tank) with the fill and vent line in top of bag. I ordered the 900 lbs Wakemakers bags.  I bought this piggyback system because I wanted simple and something that would work with factory switches.  Installation was easy and I have the bags raised off the locker floor about 3" to help with gravity.  System drains like a champ but hard tanks will not fill even to 25% while sitting at the dock.  Hard tanks will sometimes fill completely if I go out and run around on the lake. But no consistency.  Sometimes they fill, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes one side and not the other  

I've been on the phone with multiple people at Wakemakers since early July trying to figure out the problem.  I even took a 10 minute video of situation and sent to Wakemakers. Spencer seems to think the hard tank air lock issue is only happening on Malibus that have the redesigned hard tank design - which mine apparently has.  He spoke of the Y fix mentioned in this thread but they have not sent me any parts or called me back. Been told 3 times now they would get something drawn up and shipped out to me.  Still waiting on a reply and/or parts.  Patience wearing thin as my summer is over after this weekend. 

10 hours ago, FBL3 said:

Glad I found this thread. Having the same issue with piggyback system I purchased earlier this summer for my 2010 LSV.   I have the version with 2 drain ports in bottom of bag (which gravity flow into hard tank) with the fill and vent line in top of bag. I ordered the 900 lbs Wakemakers bags.  I bought this piggyback system because I wanted simple and something that would work with factory switches.  Installation was easy and I have the bags raised off the locker floor about 3" to help with gravity.  System drains like a champ but hard tanks will not fill even to 25% while sitting at the dock.  Hard tanks will sometimes fill completely if I go out and run around on the lake. But no consistency.  Sometimes they fill, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes one side and not the other  

I've been on the phone with multiple people at Wakemakers since early July trying to figure out the problem.  I even took a 10 minute video of situation and sent to Wakemakers. Spencer seems to think the hard tank air lock issue is only happening on Malibus that have the redesigned hard tank design - which mine apparently has.  He spoke of the Y fix mentioned in this thread but they have not sent me any parts or called me back. Been told 3 times now they would get something drawn up and shipped out to me.  Still waiting on a reply and/or parts.  Patience wearing thin as my summer is over after this weekend. 

I don't know what's going on but they've become extremely difficult to get ahold of. I have to call about 5 times to get through once. Just ask for the Y's and be done with it.

Summer is over? Don't say that.

I guess I'll have to start bugging the crap out of them until I get a shipment.  Summer's not officially over but school starts back next week which will significantly diminish my lake time. Damn kids.

I'm following this as well, I have the same setup as mentioned above with the hard tanks not filling until I start draining. thanks for doing the research and testing!

Yeah dude I usually wait an hour on hold before I speak to anyone it's ridiculous. They said same thing to me "well draw something up and get back to you" and I got zero reply. Once I realized they really weren't on top of fixing this situation I called got my parts that Gobble has tested and worked for him. I haven't done it myself yet but it should be good or at least better than what I have now until wake makers figures out there own solution which could be a year out or never. 

Putting the Y in the fill line is going to improve sac filling for sure. Thats a very similar design thats been used by another manufacturer for about 6 year models now. 

The issue i see, is that tank venting to the sac. Tank need to vent to its original thru-hull. It would be better to have its own tank fitting to use for the sac. If one is not available, T the sac drain in to the vent fitting right at the tank. Sac will still fill through that line as the tank water level rises. Sac will still gravity drain into the tank. The difference is, that the tank can now freely vent to its thru-hull. 

Another option would be to take the gravity sac drain and T into the drain right between the tank and drain pump. 

1 hour ago, gobble said:

Wouldn't you be afraid overflow from the tank would vent rather than fill the bag?

We dont see this happening on the other manufactures system, which is the same concept. Tank and sac are connected via a gravity hose. The vent thru-hull is higher than both, so the water seems to equalize and fill the sac through the gravity hose. The other good thing about the Y, is that when the smaller tank reach capacity, head pressure builds up in that section of hose between the tank and Y, diverting more flow to the sac. Much more efficient than forcing water through the tank into the sac. Just note, the soft sac is filling through the top, not the bottom. Filling through the bottom, further slows the aerator flow rate. 

I think I'm following the logic.  But beyond the installation of the simple Y solution I might need a diagram to fully understand the additional venting needed. Can anyone draw one up?