Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy back system reviews

timelinex

Another +1 that the gobble modification with the Y works great...

I have a 2012 23 LSV with 2 Straightline Sumo 900s and the WakeMakers piggyback kit.  I too was getting the annoying airlocking. Rather than deal with WM customer service I just bought the Y adapters and clamps and yes it solved the airlock issue!   I have a few points that I'd like to add. 

I hate that stupid spring loaded check valve WM sends in the kit for the vent hose! It takes too much pressure to get it to release and it would never vent for me.  Ever.  My bags popped out the engine divider multiple times, and I would have to manually vent them and keep an eye on them when filling. Sort of defeats the purpose of a vent hose if nothing vents. I have the engine divider reinforcement kit but they still would get pushed out.  So I replaced that spring loaded POS with a standard one way check valve. This vents properly and the bags never overfill and pop out the divider. I may lose a bit of water while underway, but I can live with that more than babysitting filling bags.

Also, With the gobble design and my 900lb bags I do get a little discharge through the drain pump when filling, but not till the 900s are just about full.  I can live with this.  I think the fill and drain times are about the same as before the Y mod.

I am now happy with this setup.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig this thread up, but I am wondering if the diagram posted by kerpluxal on page 2 of this thread is the correct way to hook up a plug n play to the older wakesetters?

I have a 2006 VLX and was thinking of doing this, but with the piranha 1100 pumps and 1" line to increase fill time(I have done this to my center ballast tank already and it works great). Run to a new 1" vented loop, into a wye valve with a ball valve to isolate the bag until the hard tank has filled up and started to push water out the vent or maybe you can just leave this ball valve open and fill both bag and hard tank?

Tie the vent lines together with a wye valve and two check vavles.

Tie drain lines together to drain out the one thru hull fittings but the bag will have its own pump and hard tank uses its own pump but they will be wired together to work off the same dash switch.

Is there something I am missing with the setup that I did not catch on to while reading this thread?

Thanks

Does anyone have a link or mind attaching a drawing of how the 2014+ PNP factory Malibu systems work?

Edited by black06VLX
  • 11 months later...

Well - Crap. I bought the wake makers setup last week, was assured that it worked 100% and was plug n play on my '13 22MXZ... Imagine my surprise (and subsequent disappointment) when it simply did not. 

Calling tomorrow to ask for a Y adapter, among other things.... 

FWIW - Here's what's being shipped as of today:

a9n8EHJ.png

@theskunk your ‘13 does not have factory Plug-and-Play?

If that the case, the larger 1-1/8” used on your boat prevents the air locking (we put over 100 hours on a late 2012 setup like this to test it) so the much simpler plumbing solution is preferable. 

2 hours ago, skicrave said:

@theskunk your ‘13 does not have factory Plug-and-Play?

If that the case, the larger 1-1/8” used on your boat prevents the air locking (we put over 100 hours on a late 2012 setup like this to test it) so the much simpler plumbing solution is preferable. 

No factory plug n play - i have the 1 1/8th hose. And after two days of testing on the water this weekend, I never got the hard tank to fill. So at least on my boat, it does air-lock.

Fortunately I only did one side, and yesterday afternoon I finally cut into the WM provided system and added a Tee (couldn’t find a wye at Lowes) to test, and it started working fine, just a bit dirty of an install for my liking. I never installed the other one since I wanted to test and make sure everything worked perfectly. 

Wakemakers customer service is awesome - sending me the Y's, hardware, and some extra hose to make it all work - should be in my hands by the weekend. 

Hopefully I can get this cleaned up and bolted back together before the weekend starts so that I don't have to leave everybody sitting on the dock while I'm wrenching on a boat! 

@theskunkSorry you're having to go through that process on your own. We've opened an internal case to get that product updated based on your feedback.

• Like 2