Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lead wake is out of inventory....next best product?

Lance B. Johnson

If they are gonna sit and not be moved around too much, sandbags. Tape them up really well with duct tape. I used to do that before I had water ballast or a nice boat. Never had one break though.

When I lived in Seattle we used to use pig iron.... it's ballast used in large ships, and really easy to come by for next to nothing when you live near a big harbor like Seattle or Portland. Since it's iron, I would wrap it in heavy plastic & duct tape it up to keep the rust in check. I always got smaller pieces (under like 50 lbs) that were easy to move & hide in the boat.

I have both POP and lead wake. Yes, the lead wake bags are nicer and more compact, but if they're out of inventory I wouldn't hesitate to order the POP again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have both POP and lead wake. Yes, the lead wake bags are nicer and more compact, but if they're out of inventory I wouldn't hesitate to order the POP again.

Are the POP bags considerably larger?

I am looking at buying 400 pounds of POP for this season also. Anyone have any pictures that show the relative size of the bags? Anyone have dimensions?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Are the POP bags considerably larger?

I haven't measured them so I can't give you dimensions or anything but I wouldn't say they're prohibitively bigger, and I have a itsy bitsy vtx. In the end I did break down some of the POP bags into smaller packages so I could stuff them up in the gunnels in the bow, but I don't think the lead wake bags would've fit either. If you're going to put them under seats or in lockers or the walk-through they'll work perfectly fine as is.

• Like 1

I don't have them anymore but, they were all roughly 45 lbs.

Bag itself is about 15" long by 9" wide and only about 2-3" fat depending on how you compacted it down.

Is this for a permanent position or is it to be moved around to straighten the wake out?

Whichever you want. I have 8 of them filled with old tire lead. They are a heavy rubberized canvas bag. Plus a heavy plastic bag inside. I run them in the bow & passenger side usually. Plus have tried them in the back.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Whatever I end up doing, I need it in bags that can be moved around. Anybody have a link to the cabellas bags I have heard about?

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Whatever I end up doing, I need it in bags that can be moved around. Anybody have a link to the cabellas bags I have heard about?

Where did you hear about them? I found these..... more than twice the cost & doesn't appear to be very durable. Looks like their available on Amazon for less.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Caldwell-Lead-Shot-Carrier-Bag/742474.uts

Bombwake.com product is great. $1 pound delivered! Comes usps priority mail. Excellent customer service. I bought his last 4 bags 2 weeks ago. But he said he would have 200 ready very soon. I have 21 of these. I absolutely love them.

• Like 1

I filled 2 $10 Husky (Home Depot) tool bags with tire weights. It's fairly compact and each bag weighs about 50#. I don't really use them to sink the boat but just balance it out when it's only 2 of us. Cost me $20 for 100#'s. Couldn't bring myself to spend $1/pound when tire weights are free.

I filled 2 $10 Husky (Home Depot) tool bags with tire weights. It's fairly compact and each bag weighs about 50#. I don't really use them to sink the boat but just balance it out when it's only 2 of us. Cost me $20 for 100#'s. Couldn't bring myself to spend $1/pound when tire weights are free.

Will the shops just give them to you?

no. at least not in my area

The whole free lead from tire shops seems to have shut off in the last 4 years. They are wise to it now and know the value of the metal so the shop owners recycle it for themselves. Same with the gun ranges. They will sell it to you, but I have found that its no better price than what we are finding online...

• Like 1