Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

I wonder if you could take it to a computer repair store and have them fix it? $2k is stupid. Seems like it would be no different than repairing a touch screen monitor or tablet.

Edited by Fman

I had mine replaced under warrenty for the same reason. I am pretty sure my dealer said the screen cost 800. Not sure why the dealers are charging 1800. Seems like a huge mark up to me.

I had first gen mtc screen in my 2011 and it was replaced under warranty after 60 hours. After this it never skipped a beat and I sold the boat with 254 hours on it.

Yes I'd like to think they've address this issue, I keep looking at mine and keeping it covered with a towel when not in use. Warranty is up this coming Oct.

This thread saved me. Got mine replaced under warranty . Perfect timing as my warranty is up this month. Same bubbles and symptoms here. It got to the point I wouldn't take it off the trailer unless it would function. That was no guarantee as I had a few sets interrupted because loss of blower and bilge. I don't like the feeling of being out in the water without! Ha, now I have a response with surf gate buttons. Still knocking on wood here. I would love for someone to figure a work around

Would sure be nice if Malibu would cut those of us without any warranty (I'm the 2nd owner) a break since these screens are failing at no fault of the user. I will definitely be covering my screen with a towel while stationary from now on... Just hoping mine makes it the rest of the season.

Would sure be nice if Malibu would cut those of us without any warranty (I'm the 2nd owner) a break since these screens are failing at no fault of the user. I will definitely be covering my screen with a towel while stationary from now on... Just hoping mine makes it the rest of the season.

MKuchins, I couldn't agree more but that's not likely, and our only option will be what? Pay ~$1800 for a new control screen? This is just a looming failure for many of us.

I can see mine doing the bubble thing already. I asked my dealer about this very same thing at the start of the season but I believe I was just out of warranty. Wish I had seen it in March prior to my warranty running out. Bummed because I know it's going to happen...

Edited by jgates237
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy to say that Malibu replaced my touch screen that would not respond to inputs. GrandPa's worked me in so as not to ruin my planned boat outing.

But on the way to the lake my forward trailer tire blew, and my tube had a leak on the seam.

It never stops

• 3 weeks later...

Mark me down as one more that had this issue!! Identical pretty much. Can not believe they have this big of an issue and are ok with charging so much for the replacement. SO much over their cost. How can you profit like this on a 100k boat at our cost for a bad designed and manufactured part!! I just paid 1250 for a replacement screen myself, only 130 hours on my 2011 23lsv.

Sorry to hear. Mine was bairly out of warranty so they replaced it. However i have no idea and neather do they but they are replacing 1 a week at my dealer.

Did you call Malibu to discuss it with them. I find that if you present it vs demand it they are very accommodating.

Having said that your milage may vary.

I do agree that there is an issue that needs resolving..

Yes I'd like to think they've address this issue, I keep looking at mine and keeping it covered with a towel when not in use. Warranty is up this coming Oct.

Well then you better inform your dealer you are having problems with it and they need to order you a new one :biggrin: as you mentioned, its locking up every now and then..... right???? :biggrin:

Well then you better inform your dealer you are having problems with it and they need to order you a new one :biggrin: as you mentioned, its locking up every now and then..... right???? :biggrin:

Yes, so far so good... nothing appearing to be in disorder, oh oh....hope I haven't jinxed myself, heading to the lake for labour day after two weeks away.

Then again that would be a good thing, right, as I'm still under warranty! Just the same I'm hopeful they resolved the issue and I have the newest version.

Sorry to hear about all the OP. Must be Very maddening!

Edited by Dare2goBare

Sorry to read our suspicions are slowly turning in to problems.

I would recomend anyone close to warranty expiration, to check all buttons for function & inspect closley for the tell tale sign of what appears to be air bubbles.

Almost if the fluid between the screens finds a leak introducing ait bubbles.

Even the slightest intermittent issue should be reported & logged with the dealer as a know issue for WHEN (not if) a replacement is rerquired.

Have read various prices for replacement screens.

Unfortunatly, mine with exchange rates & taxes, was damm close to AU$2000.

Good to hear some are picking up these screens for USD$1250.

Only 4 nuts & one plug to replace the screen.

Considering this is becomming more frequent, wonder if we can push for a crew discount for replacement screens?

Surely one dealer will get on board for a reasonable discount.

• Like 1

So does anyone know who actually manufactures these touch screens? I ask because I've reached out to a repair facility out of Rochester, NY and that's the first thing they asked.

If I have any luck with the repair route I'll certainly pass this on to my fellow crew members.

A company out of Michigan called Medallion.

Their website is http://medallionis.com

I do not know how much they will be willing to work with a repair facility though, I hope I am wrong but when I reached out to them for help they gave me the number of a person to call who never called me back and prior told me they have a contract with Malibu and are unable to help repair or replace anything according to the contract.

Keep us posted on what you find, I am more than anything hoping that the new one I just bought will not have the same issue in the future now that I have sprung the cash for it.

Sorry to read our suspicions are slowly turning in to problems.

I would recomend anyone close to warranty expiration, to check all buttons for function & inspect closley for the tell tale sign of what appears to be air bubbles.

Almost if the fluid between the screens finds a leak introducing ait bubbles.

Even the slightest intermittent issue should be reported & logged with the dealer as a know issue for WHEN (not if) a replacement is rerquired.

Have read various prices for replacement screens.

Unfortunatly, mine with exchange rates & taxes, was damm close to AU$2000.

Good to hear some are picking up these screens for USD$1250.

Only 4 nuts & one plug to replace the screen.

Considering this is becomming more frequent, wonder if we can push for a crew discount for replacement screens?

Surely one dealer will get on board for a reasonable discount.

I am happy to share the dealer information privately for anyone interested in where I got my screen for 1250. It was a dealer that Malibu set me up with that was not anywhere near me. Does not matter though since all the screens ship from the same location. They were suppose to send me the firmware too but didn't, I am assuming the only draw back will be having surf gate option now. Maybe one day that will be useful though if Malibu ever offers it for sale for our boat years too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well for those that are hoping to be able to get theirs fixed, hate to take away hope but I can see why they said it is not possible. I finally had a chance to replace mine this morning and with the old one out was able to get a better look. The screen would be impossible to remove from the unit without shattering it into a million pieces. They use an adhesive to join them together, not a single screw. So to fix the bond you would have to remove and to remove you would have to shatter and further damage the screen. In the 4 weeks it has been parked in storage my old screen became way worse! It was just the left hand side that had the issue but now it wraps around around to the top and the entire right edge has the same bubbling. I really hope they addressed and fixed the issues with these new screens!

Thanks 11LSV. I contacted medallion and they said they'd get back with me but I'm still waiting on that. I've conceded to the fact that I'm going to have to purchase a replacement at a ridiculous price point.

How much separation would you estimate is between the two screens?

I get my Malibu serviced by a Mastercraft Service Center (long story) and just yesterday he told me the MTC's are the same on the Mastercraft models that use them - might be an option to get a cheaper one via an MC dealer?

Just a thought...

Edited by Punyelroo

Thanks 11LSV. I contacted medallion and they said they'd get back with me but I'm still waiting on that. I've conceded to the fact that I'm going to have to purchase a replacement at a ridiculous price point.

How much separation would you estimate is between the two screens?

Yea I have been waiting for Medallion to get back with me as promised for over 6 weeks now. Unfortunately yes you are going to have to get a new one.

The screen appear to be on each other, literally bonded together.

Interesting idea above about the master craft dealer as being an option to price it through too. You would likely just need the firmware still which I have, I was told by Malibu I would have to have the firmware updated for it to work but I am unsure what is not suppose to work because I have not updated it and everything seems good. It did go through a sequence of its own for about 3 minutes when I first turned it on though.

• 7 months later...

Just found this thread and my screen has the same exact problem with the bubbles. But my screen still works just fine. Is there a way to start up the boat without the screen? As long as there is a way to start up the boat and make it back to shore/trailer i am going to wait until i have problems before replacing mine. I tried starting with key but it just spins around?

I believe the 2012's have a key start whereas the 2011's don't. I was working with a Malibu rep (Dan Moorman) on this issue and after several email exchanges, he went silent on me I believe because my screen hasn't failed yet albeit, I have yet to drop it in the water this year. I do wish we had better support as it seems virtually every model with these touch screens is having issues, especially the first couple of years.

More to come on this, I'm quite sure of...

Edited by jgates237

There is a manual key over ride conversion kit you can source for your dealer or Bakes.

Consists of a harness, replacement fuse panel with the key switch to replace the fuse panel just under the throttle & instructions.

few hundred dollars to safeguard against being stranded in a 2011 model when the MTC screen fails.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this topic? I found out the hard way that I now have this issue. Word is the dealership wants 1500.00 for a new unit. Are the newer boats having this issue?