Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

Hi

Have a 2011 RLXI which has run without any glitches to speak of, untill now.

The Malibu Touch Commad Screen (lower RH screen) has partially stopped working.

The butons in the center area are not responsive, including the key codes.....which means no start.

Bilge, Blower are also not responsive

The buttons around the perimter still work or are responsive.

I have noticed since the last wash, around 4 weeks back, some type of bubbles have appeared on the LH side of the screen top & bottom.

These appear to be between 2 layers of glass or similar. They can be seen in the images below

Any thoughts or is this terminal?

If terminal, can anyone lead me to a source for a replacement & I understand I had better be sitting down when I find out the $$

Removed the screen to get a better look, well an truly sealed.

Smart Display Rev A9 from Medallian 6913.00390.01 date 4/13/2011 Mfg mould date Sep 2010

Once the screen is cleaned of all finger prints, with a light behind me & turning the screen to see the diamond reflective pattern with the light reflecting on the screen, I noticed the pattern is not reflective in the central area of the screen.

May be a clue?

MTC%201_zps2aua4nup.jpgMTC%202_zpsegukovc2.jpg

Edited by Andrew63

Funnily enough my VTX had exactly the same problem - but I hadn't even noticed it. When it was in at the dealer last week getting the prop fixed they noticed it was not 100% and found that it had water in it (actually looks exactly the same as yours with bubbles in the corner). So they replaced it under warranty ( which runs out next month so that was nice!). Maybe try blowing a cold hairdryer at full speed for a while and see if it dries out - otherwise I'm afraid it might be terminal

I'm not sure how a touch screen will take this, but I think I would try removing it and disassembling it as far as you dare, then dunking it in pure alcohol for several minutes to maybe several hours. After that, put it in your oven on the lowest setting (maybe 50*C or so, just enough to hear the thermostat click) and leave the door slightly open. Leaving it overnight should do it.

Do not attempt to remove the glass panel on the front of the unit, except if they have a very thin sheet as a protective layer, and then only if it is obvious that it is a separate piece.

If you don't want to try the alcohol at first, the oven alone might bring it back. Low heat will dry it out without damage, and it is very likely that the water is not actually inside the unit, but in front of the glass, which will change the capacitance too much to let it work (just like a soaking wet finger will do).

Spray contact cleaner on the connections as you reassemble it.

2011 was first year of the MTC. They had some issues with the first releases. I would try and have it replaced under warranty. Also make sure your software is updated with latest revision. They replaced my MTC in my 2011 vlx for the same reasons and it took care of the problem.

Oh...oh.....can't check mine at the moment as my BU's at the dealer, but I'm going to

take a watchful eye on this issue. Warranty runs out this coming Oct.

Fman. ....good to hear!

Edited by Dare2goBare

I'm not sure how a touch screen will take this, but I think I would try removing it and disassembling it as far as you dare, then dunking it in pure alcohol for several minutes to maybe several hours. After that, put it in your oven on the lowest setting (maybe 50*C or so, just enough to hear the thermostat click) and leave the door slightly open. Leaving it overnight should do it.

Do not attempt to remove the glass panel on the front of the unit, except if they have a very thin sheet as a protective layer, and then only if it is obvious that it is a separate piece.

If you don't want to try the alcohol at first, the oven alone might bring it back. Low heat will dry it out without damage, and it is very likely that the water is not actually inside the unit, but in front of the glass, which will change the capacitance too much to let it work (just like a soaking wet finger will do).

Spray contact cleaner on the connections as you reassemble it.

Last outing we had 41deg C (106 deg F) temps on the water, so it had plenty of heat.

Tried the old rice trick sometimes used to salvage a cell phone overnight, no luck.

The front screen has no obvious layers, but I suspect there would need to be some similar arrangement to work.

Not game to pry or lift the front screen although, it ain't working now.

Waiting to hear back from several sources on a replacement option.

Edited by Andrew63

2011 was first year of the MTC. They had some issues with the first releases. I would try and have it replaced under warranty. Also make sure your software is updated with latest revision. They replaced my MTC in my 2011 vlx for the same reasons and it took care of the problem.

I believe the warranty is only 3 years which expired last April, also not sure if Malibu US would be interested in a U.S. boat down in AU with all the issues we have in AU with a grey import Malibu.

Brought the boat from a gent who purchased new in US, used for a season sponsoring a kid, then shipped down under, used for a year then sold to myself.

The software update, I am not aware of.

Again trying to get this through an AU dealer will hit walls.

If this is something any crew members have & the file is possible to email, I would appreciate it if someone could Pm me for an email address

Edited by Andrew63

Oh...oh.....can't check mine at the moment as my BU's at the dealer, but I'm going to

take a watchful eye on this issue. Warranty runs out this coming Oct.

Fman. ....good to hear!

Did not have any noticeable signs of any issues for over 3 1/2 years use & nearly 400 hours.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

The more I think of it, some crew members had trouble entering the code, found the buttons would not work when pressed hard.

Something we instinctively do when things don't work.

I found light almost non existent pressure with your finger worked flawlessly & pointed out to my crew, no need for heavy button pushing.

No saying this caused the failure, just may be a sign to look out for as you Ne ar the end of the warranty period.

Normally is something fails is it in the first year which the warranty will catch, the 3 year warranty would normally be a bonus.

• Like 1

Andrew I think I have your email....but do me a favour and PM

it to me again. I have a 2013 / 2014 release of the software.

Not at home at the moment, so I can't tell you what the ver. is.

'll send it to you in the next day or two.

Ya and all this electronics, nice until it's BROCK. ...my biggest fears down the road.

I don't think that overnight in rice is nearly long enough. Try it for more like a week. Maybe put it and the rice in the oven overnight every night also. Heat is your friend here.

• 2 months later...

My 2011 MTC screen is doing the exact same thing. Any luck resolving the problem? Out of warranty and dealer quoted me around $2000 to replace. Ouch.

My 2011 MTC screen is doing the exact same thing. Any luck resolving the problem? Out of warranty and dealer quoted me around $2000 to replace. Ouch.

Tried Firmware upgrades with no luck, bit the bullet & brought a replacement

The install part is 4 nuts & one plug so an easy install to save a trip to the dealer.

The $2000 mark is about right, unless your dealer can help out a bit with you installing.

Are you in the US or elsewhere?

May be worth considering picking up a 2011 Remote Key Kit, still a cuple of hundred $$.

Won't fix the MTC, but at least you can still start & run the boat.

Just won't have controll over the lights, bilge, blower or any other function controlled by the MTC.

Malibu part numbers are

Breaker panel MPN-3912109 replaces the original extended with the key switch

Wire Harness package MPN 3911009

The install part is 4 nuts & one plug so an easy install to save a trip to the dealer.

The $2000 mark is about right, unless your dealer can help out a bit with you installing.

May be worth considering picking up a 2011 Remote Key Kit, still a cuple of hundred $$.

Just won't have controll over the lights, bilge, blower or any other function controlled by the MTC.

Malibu part numbers are

Ouch is right!....Man one of my biggest fears with all the

wounderful high tech helms when the warranty runs out. This is my last season under warranty, Hummmmmm. ... But must say I do like the functionality!

Ouch is right!....Man one of my biggest fears with all the

wounderful high tech helms when the warranty runs out. This is my last season under warranty, Hummmmmm. ... But must say I do like the functionality!

Malibu part numbers are

I contacted Medallion and Malibu directly to see if they would warranty it but they would not. Upon further investigation and talking with the dealer It seems that the glass screen is separating from the screen behind it. It looks like there is water in it but there is not. It's just air causing some areas of the screen not to work. I ended up purchasing a new unit for about $1800 and will install myself. Very disappointing because I baby my boat. It's always garaged. A part this expensive should be engineered to last longer than 4 years. If you can't pull this off then don't charge that amount or don't put it in the boat. If frequent failures are inevitable then figure out a way to get the cost down so customers can afford to replace.

Upon further investigation and talking with the dealer It seems that the glass screen is separating from the screen behind it. It looks like there is water in it but there is not. It's just air causing some areas of the screen not to work.

Interesting thoughts.

Wonder if the exposure to 41deg C (106 deg F) contributed to this as we have some hot days on the water.

Boat is normally garaged so direct heat exposure is limited to outings.

Agreed, it looks like water or similar but these are very well sealed.

If this is created through heat & seperation of the layers, applying excessive pressure did not help either.

Could this issue is more pronounced in warmer climates where winterisation is not standard & high temps in summer the norm.?

• 2 months later...

Just turned 100 hours 2011 23 lsv and display has become un responsive except for code entry and occasional start MLS LIGHTS are not selectable

Live in NC and boat is stored indoors except when being set up for use

Would likje ssuggestions on how to remove screen.

Edited by 747captain

I also have some visible water in my 2012 VLX MTC screen. Top left corner. Fortunately everything still works but if anyone has had any luck removing this water it would sure be great to know how it was accomplished.

I doubt it's water. I thought I had water in mine but it was actually the front screen detaching from whatever is behind it. I tried the rice trick no bueno. I tried to pry the screen off but just cracked the glass. I would have it warnteed asap if you still can. I had to buy a new screen for $1800. My screen worked fine too for a while but got progressively worse.

This screen issue appears to be slowly comming out of the wood work on other boats.

Appears to be the 1st year, 2011 thought to some 2012 models that have the non resposive screen, or partially non resposive in my case.

Worst part is it is about a year past warranty.

Still have to wonder if the direct sunlight on those hot days baking the screen contributed to the delamination.

Replaced mine & works fine.

Last outing was late April for a week before we got soft & took a break for Winter.

May drop a towel over the screen when tied up on the river duriong the day when we have breakes, can't hurt.

May drop a towel over the screen when tied up on the river duriong the day when we have breakes, can't hurt.

This is something I do religiously when not in use, I have a nice TMC towel

I drape over the whole dash. Hey Rmac..... did you here that....lol...lol... not on the floor...lol..

I'll start by saying I'm no expert but I believe the 'oil' is an insulator inside the LCD screen itself - Its supposed to be there but over time tends to break down resulting in the bubbles. Not all LCD's have this problem as there are a number of ways of doing it... ie resistive or capacitive displays for example....

Extreme heat is said to be a significant contributor to the bubbles along with quality of manufacturing, so I always try to do as Dare suggests and cover the dash when not in use.

It's not something that can be repaired.

Edited by Punyelroo

The size of the "bubbles" on my MTC screen got significantly larger after a long day in the heat and sun yesterday. Pulled the screen and put it in a bag of rice although after reading the latest posts on this thread, water doesn't seem to be the cause so I'm not too hopeful. Very dissapointing that this component falls apart so quickly and is so expensive. If it was a couple hundred dollar fix this would be as big of a deal, but $2000 is ridiculous. Hard to believe such a little and lightweight component could cost soo much in the first place.