Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

On 7/24/2018 at 6:52 AM, j2nh said:

Just a heads up.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-malibu-ski-boat/6611462446.html

Beautiful Response, unfortunately the motor has a cracked block that the owner has repaired with some kind of epoxy.  My buddy purchased this boat in good faith and was told that the water running into the bilge was just from "recent rain".  Well when he got it home it was raining out of the block.  Took it back and fortunately got his money back but the boat is still being advertised and the owner is not being honest.

Beware.

When I inspect boats (for myself or friends), I always require two things of the owner/seller before I arrive:
The bilge must be completely dry
The engine must be cold

This allows me to find any manifold or pump leaks.  More common that you'd think.  Also tells me if it hard-starts when cold, or requires some special sequence to get it started when cold (throttle pumping, etc). Mostly common on older (carb'd) boats.

• Like 2
On 7/25/2018 at 10:42 AM, 95echelon said:

How did we get to a point where an 11 year old boat selling for 4k less than it sold new is a decent price.

It's a nice boat but I agree it's priced to high.

50 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

With a different prop 55mph maybe.  Ours goes about 50-52 with gear, gas, and people.

So seriously, are those vents?  Lights would make no sense at all (but then neither does a Corvette boat).  Not knocking it, it looks pretty awesome.

41 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

With a different prop 55mph maybe.  Ours goes about 50-52 with gear, gas, and people.

The 'Vettes with the Callaways (125 total made in '97 and part of '98) were true 60mph boats.  That's with a clean hull, good gas, minimal people/gear onboard and everything running right.

Mine (with dirty hull and ~600 hrs) still does around 55 mph gps.  The "tail lights" are actually vents, but the previous owner installed corvette taillights, that connect to the trailer and are fully functional. Malibu recycled the Corvette hull (added additional colors) for '99 and 2000 but the production corvette motor was used in those, not the Callaway.

#78/125

• Like 1

Did they do anything with the propshaft angle to get that much speed?  Eventually you sortof hit a speed wall (© 2018 @IXFE) where more horsepower doesn't really help you go any faster since it just gets wasted pushing the bow down into the water.  The Supernatural must have had more real HP than they said it did... Anyone ever dyno one?

Though I guess it is the non-diamond hull which is faster...

Edited by UWSkier
2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Did they do anything with the propshaft angle to get that much speed?  Eventually you sortof hit a speed wall (© 2018 @IXFE) where more horsepower doesn't really help you go any faster since it just gets wasted pushing the bow down into the water.  The Supernatural must have had more real HP than they said it did... Anyone ever dyno one?

Nope. same driveline (except for the polished Stainless Steel hardware), and yes, this is still a Response hull.  They did add a single electric trim tab at the stern to get the bow down at speed; especially with people in the back seat. The boat definately wants to porpoise at speed, but at skiing and barefoot speeds, it's still exactly the way it should be wrt throttle response and wakes.  The other notable difference between the 97/98 (with Callaway) and the 99-2000 (besides additional colors offered) is the 97/98 has the Corvette C4 squareish "tail lights" and the 99/2000 has the C4 round "tail lights".