Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OFFICIAL 2015 LSV 23 Surf Setup Thread...

Capdoogie

I just put 750's in my lockers. Couldn't go ropeless without some extra ballast. Didn't add anything to the bow. Did drop the wedge down a few clicks to get the nose down some. Worked out pretty well for my needs.

I think you can go no bow bag if you don't fill PnP bags all the way and / or use less wedge and / or have people sit in the bow.

We had to forego the bow bag a few times for various reasons and the wave is always O.K. but not great.

Monday I put two bags of lead in the sides of the bow and no bow bag, wave cleaned up fine but wasn't epic.

Has anybody experimented with putting bags mid-ship under the seats? What were the results vs MLS full, rear 850 lockers full and bow bag? Maybe you could get decent results with MLS full, 750's in the rear and at least 400's on each side of the boat; under the seats and not have to use a bow bag?

Every board seems to need different shaped wakes, height, length. Your motor has a lot to say on what and where you can run your xtra ballast. Your lakes depth plays a role in the wave height. When we role into our shallow end of our lake 25 ft or less from 90 ft, you can feel and see the wave height change for the less. Every one on this forum runs full mls ballast aprox 750 or a little more in the rears, some weight in the nose a least 400+ depending on motor size. Use your wedge to fine tune what you like for wave height and length with adjusting your speed. Most seem to be around 10.6 to 11.2. We run 11.0 GPS with wedge 3 clicks up from the bottom.  For every surfer we have, they like something just a little different in speed and wedge. One setting does not fit all.

Edited by Capdoogie
  • 1 month later...

Cool pic I got from the drone last week. Rider is 6'1" and he's on a Victoria Factor PCX.

The boat is running all factory ballast + 1k wakemakers in each locker + 1k bow triangle + wedge a few clicks up. Speed is 11.0

Capture_zpsqoeequkv.jpg

• Like 3

Another pic of my wave... this one is goofy side (taken from inside the boat), and while it's hard to tell how long and clean it is since I just thrashed it, notice how tall it is... how far off the water surface I am. I'm 5'10" tall.

img_0881_zpsqaggxan1%201_zpsfqsumsgf.jpg

Cool pic I got from the drone last week. Rider is 6'1" and he's on a Victoria Factor PCX.

The boat is running all factory ballast + 1k wakemakers in each locker + 1k bow triangle + wedge a few clicks up. Speed is 11.0

Capture_zpsqoeequkv.jpg

Malibu should pay you for that pic and use it in promotional materials. Unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! So if anyone is ever trying to decide on engine size. LSA hands down. 12 adults in boat full mls, 800's in both rear lockers, full gas tank, wedge anywhere you want it to be for surfing. And at almost 6000 ft elevation. NO PROBLEMO!!! with Rpm,s to spare. So, if your on the fence with engine size always go big. This is from someone who has had 350's 450's (ls3). And now LSA. Also this engine doesn't have catalytic so you don't have the O2 sensor warning problems that might plague you on the other engines.

• 11 months later...

I figured I'd add to this thread, since we ended up with bit different set up than most. We had the standard 550's in the lockers, full MLS, 409 Motor, 1235 prop and the wake was good and worked, but not great. I called Wakemakers with the full intent of buying their custom bags and asked to speak with Spencer. I explained to him I wanted more and was willing to deal with a bow bag, but would prefer not too. He said he highly recommended the new 8.3 700's. I immediately questioned that suggestion and asked if I would be sorry I didn't buy his custom bags a month from now. His response was, absolutely not! He said Malibu got it right in 2015 with the wedge 2 and what ever else they did. He said he personally runs these bags without a bow bag and puts up a huge, long wave. Before anyone asks, yes I do sit on the top of the seat or stand because of the bow rise. The 700's fill up the lockers and really look double the size of the 550's. The end result, is a huge wave both goofy and regular! Very long, with lots of push way back. It even typically has a nice curl, although in this pic it wasn't. Could have something to do with letting go of the wheel to take the pic. Lol.  Our set up is, full MLS, the 700's, 409 motor, 1235 prop, wedge 3-4 down from stow and 10.6mph. This setup was Spencer's recommendation. Thanks Wakemakers!!! My step son is in the pic and he's 6'1" for reference. 20160726_192318_zpsr7gbdyeo.jpg

37 minutes ago, gdmatson said:

I figured I'd add to this thread, since we ended up with bit different set up than most. We had the standard 550's in the lockers, full MLS, 409 Motor, 1235 prop and the wake was good and worked, but not great. I called Wakemakers with the full intent of buying their custom bags and asked to speak with Spencer. I explained to him I wanted more and was willing to deal with a bow bag, but would prefer not too. He said he highly recommended the new 8.3 700's. I immediately questioned that suggestion and asked if I would be sorry I didn't buy his custom bags a month from now. His response was, absolutely not! He said Malibu got it right in 2015 with the wedge 2 and what ever else they did. He said he personally runs these bags without a bow bag and puts up a huge, long wave. Before anyone asks, yes I do sit on the top of the seat or stand because of the bow rise. The 700's fill up the lockers and really look double the size of the 550's. The end result, is a huge wave both goofy and regular! Very long, with lots of push way back. It even typically has a nice curl, although in this pic it wasn't. Could have something to do with letting go of the wheel to take the pic. Lol.  Our set up is, full MLS, the 700's, 409 motor, 1235 prop, wedge 3-4 down from stow and 10.6mph. This setup was Spencer's recommendation. Thanks Wakemakers!!! My step son is in the pic and he's 6'1" for reference. 

This explanation doesn't make sense.  Power Wedge 2 is 20% bigger than the original power wedge.  That means in any given position it creates more drag than before.    All things equal, Power Wedge 2 makes the rear sit deeper in the water, and the bow ride higher.  So was he saying that because the PW2 simulates more rear ballast that you no longer need his custom bags?  If so, then why did WM introduce their custom bags in 2015, the same year the PW2 came out?  

I think the real reason Spencer recommended this setup has nothing to do with PW2.  It's because you said you don't want to deal with the additional bow bag.  The custom bags hold more water thus require more bow weight to offset.  I think last year WM sold a bunch of those bags to boats who didn't understand that and they ended up getting a bunch of unhappy customers.  They confirmed this to me a while back, and it's one of the reasons they made the 2016 custom bags smaller than the originals.  So now I think they are in the habit of steering people away from the custom bags unless they are planning to run a bow bag.  

8 minutes ago, IXFE said:

This explanation doesn't make sense.  Power Wedge 2 is 20% bigger than the original power wedge.  That means in any given position it creates more drag than before.    All things equal, Power Wedge 2 makes the rear sit deeper in the water, and the bow ride higher.  So was he saying that because the PW2 simulates more rear ballast that you no longer need his custom bags?  If so, then why did WM introduce their custom bags in 2015, the same year the PW2 came out?  

I think the real reason Spencer recommended this setup has nothing to do with PW2.  It's because you said you don't want to deal with the additional bow bag.  The custom bags hold more water thus require more bow weight to offset.  I think last year WM sold a bunch of those bags to boats who didn't understand that and they ended up getting a bunch of unhappy customers.  They confirmed this to me a while back, and it's one of the reasons they made the 2016 custom bags smaller than the originals.  So now I think they are in the habit of steering people away from the custom bags unless they are planning to run a bow bag.  

Could be.... Not sure about the reasoning, just extremely happy with the results!

• 6 months later...
On 6/25/2015 at 6:37 PM, pkh said:

I think you can go no bow bag if you don't fill PnP bags all the way and / or use less wedge and / or have people sit in the bow.

We had to forego the bow bag a few times for various reasons and the wave is always O.K. but not great.

Monday I put two bags of lead in the sides of the bow and no bow bag, wave cleaned up fine but wasn't epic.

Nautique???

On 7/27/2016 at 7:47 AM, IXFE said:

I run the initial custom WM bags and just had to aggressively prop my boat to get the desired wake at high altitude. No extra bow ballast required. Acme 2943 15 x 10.5 .075cup with LS3 motor aka "the game changer"

8 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

I run the initial custom WM bags and just had to aggressively prop my boat to get the desired wake at high altitude. No extra bow ballast required. Acme 2943 15 x 10.5 .075cup with LS3 motor aka "the game changer"

1. Pics or it didn't happen

2. can you see over the bow without standing up in this configuration?

• Like 2

Haha, keep forgetting that rule. Yes you can see over the bow with seat riser and wedge adjustment. When is this site going to make it easier to post pics. 2+years and I still suck at it!! Also doggy I am running factory bow ballast just no bag on top. I've missed you buddy. :rockon:

On 6/29/2015 at 3:45 PM, VTXcess said:

Has anybody experimented with putting bags mid-ship under the seats? What were the results vs MLS full, rear 850 lockers full and bow bag? Maybe you could get decent results with MLS full, 750's in the rear and at least 400's on each side of the boat; under the seats and not have to use a bow bag?

that is how I run... factory ballast full..  1100s in rear.. 400 under coffin seats... then an triangle under front seats (don't have factory in front)... 800 in walkway... If I can keep from hitting underwater debris and damaging my boat I will post pics.. Should be back in mid March.. Wedge and speed are variables... depending on the wave I want to ride and what board I am on...

Edited by kerpluxal
21 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

that is how I run... factory ballast full..  1100s in rear.. 400 under coffin seats... then an triangle under front seats (don't have factory in front)... 800 in walkway... If I can keep from hitting underwater debris and damaging my boat I will post pics.. Should be back in mid March.. Wedge and speed are variables... depending on the wave I want to ride and what board I am on...

"triangle under front seats (don't have factory in front)"

What triangle is this? Are you referring to the "U" shaped bag that goes under the seat, or did you have the front built for a front tank and not have it installed? I have storage space under my '15 23 LSV bow seats and a walk-thru, so I'm putting the triangle on top of the seats but I'd like to change to something under the seats if I could get anywhere near the same amount of weight.

I'm currently using the Fly High W706 (rated 1000 lbs) with 100 gal (measured/at full capacity) in it for a "real" 830 lbs of bow weight.

1 hour ago, mikeo said:

"triangle under front seats (don't have factory in front)"

What triangle is this? Are you referring to the "U" shaped bag that goes under the seat, or did you have the front built for a front tank and not have it installed? I have storage space under my '15 23 LSV bow seats and a walk-thru, so I'm putting the triangle on top of the seats but I'd like to change to something under the seats if I could get anywhere near the same amount of weight.

I'm currently using the Fly High W706 (rated 1000 lbs) with 100 gal (measured/at full capacity) in it for a "real" 830 lbs of bow weight.

sorry... It is a U shape (Sumo 750... it does not fill to capacity) under bow seats... along with this, I have an 800 Sumo that I run under the filler seat in walk way.. Plan is to enclose the walkway where the bag sticks out an add another cushion on top to make it all look stock.. I don't know my real weight.. would have to fill and then measure how many gallons coming out (however my U never completely drains.)

To figure out how much weight/water/ballast I have in my bow triangle I used an inexpensive flow meter from Home Depot with a handful of adapters. I parked at the marina (in the water) and used the wash down hose at the gas dock to fill and measure the total input; I stopped filling at 100 gallons, which was right at the same level I usually fill the bag to. Filling to 100 gallons made the math easy: 8.3 * 100 = 830 lbs. I don't count the weight of the bag since it's minimal and I'm not removing it from the boat when it's empty.

Here's the flow meter I used:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Water-Flow-Meter-52212/205489792

Just now, mikeo said:

To figure out how much weight/water/ballast I have in my bow triangle I used an inexpensive flow meter from Home Depot with a handful of adapters. I parked at the marina (in the water) and used the wash down hose at the gas dock to fill and measure the total input; I stopped filling at 100 gallons, which was right at the same level I usually fill the bag to. Filling to 100 gallons made the math easy: 8.3 * 100 = 830 lbs. I don't count the weight of the bag since it's minimal and I'm not removing it from the boat when it's empty.

Here's the flow meter I used:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Water-Flow-Meter-52212/205489792

once I get boat back, I must do this to see what I am actually putting in my bags... THANKS :)