Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gelcoat above propeller is worn

wakeparadise

I noticed today that the gelcoat right above the propeller on my VLX looks worn through; about an inch wide and not very deep... (but enough to get my attention)

Does anyone know of a product I could use to patch this?

Thanks

Hmm weird. Sounds like prop burn but you should have plenty of clearance with a 1235... Google up prop burn and you should be able to find some pics of folks putting stainless steel plates down there. Never heard of prop burn on a Malibu but I think it was kinda common for some mastercrafts for a while.

In any case I bought some one-step gelcoat repair stuff online, should be here in a few weeks and I'll patch it up before I put her away for winter. We do a lot of surfing so maybe with the cavitation is didn't help this year...

Sounds like a prop burn and cavitation will speed things up. Can you take pics before and after the repair as I'm sure some have never seen it nor have looked.

Will do; for sure.

Have you owned the boat its whole life?

To patch you could throw some marinetex up in there for a temporary fix and then sand it flush. I have done this before in the same area with no issues. With your hull being white it wouldn't be too noticeable.

Boy,

That don't look good at all.

I've never seen that and wouldn't have expected that much damage.

go search over on the centurion site. Those guys notch out the hull above the prop and build it back thick on the bilge side just to run larger props without burn.

Yeah this just happened this season, boat was new last year with no hours on it. I'll patch it up,

No big deal

Inspect the edge of the prop close for any dings or nicks. That will increase prop burn by creating low pressure pockets, or eddies. This boils the water, creating the burn.

Marintex, sand... <----- repeat 2-3x more times.

Then buff the heyl out of it to a mirror finish....

I'd be willing to bet you had some sort of impact from debris that helped bring that on.

That's exactly what I was thinking.... I mean I'm not doing anything different than anyone else running a 1235... I baby my boat out on the water.

Marintex, sand... <----- repeat 2-3x more times.

Then buff the heyl out of it to a mirror finish....

I'd be willing to bet you had some sort of impact from debris that helped bring that on.

What is this Marintex? Should I use that instead of a gelcoat? The picture makes it look deep but it's not that deep at all in reality.

Edit: I just bought some Marintex should be here by Friday; thanks Amazon.

Edited by wakeparadise

Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like that prop has no cup at all. I would think that a bit of cup near the tip would keep some of the water from rolling off.

Hmm.... That's the stock 1235 prop from ACME, I've put about 140 hrs on that prop with absolutely zero impact damage to it... If it doesn't have the right cup, then that's the way it came new.