Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which slalom course would you buy?

stonelx

Our local group is looking to buy a new course.

Our old one is long in the tooth, and we are wanting something that can be more up to spec.

We live up North, so ice is our nemesis. :)

We typically sink the course, and then bring it up each spring.

What would you suggest?

EZ-slalom? Insta-slalom?

We want something we can easily sink in the Fall, and bring up nicely in the Spring, or

maybe a portable one that we yank completely out after every season?

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Get the EZ slalom from Ed. Only way to go. We have an Accufloat cable course that we drop each weekend and also during the winter for the past 10+ years. Its had its problems but nothing real bad, but if I did it again it would be a EZ heavy cable system.

I have no experience with it but I was doing some reading on Ball Of Spray a while back and it seemed like the Wally Sinker is the only way to go anymore if you are planning on going submersible.

I'd probably be leaning toward a portable one since it is less complicated, just yank it at the end of the season, but depending on your lake there are other benefits to sinking.

ahopkins22LSV
Get the EZ slalom from Ed. Only way to go. We have an Accufloat cable course that we drop each weekend and also during the winter for the past 10+ years. Its had its problems but nothing real bad, but if I did it again it would be a EZ heavy cable system.

Agreed. You can install sub buoys and clips to quickly take the gates and turn balls off if needed. We do this every Saturday morning and it only adds like 15 minutes. I have heard really good things about the Wally course though too.

I've had several insta slaloms and they have been good but only problem is if you leave them in for the extreme long term the arms can bow. So, we use the mainline and "diamonds" and we independently anchor turn balls

EZ slalom, but get the steel cable not the rope. My FIL had one for years and it was a quality course. Only issue we ever had was the yellow rope eventually fraying and rotting

EDIT: he had a portable version

Edited by oldjeep

For what it's worth, I recently bought Ed's EZ Slalom kit and built the arms myself. It was very easy and saved me approx $300.

Everything I've heard is that the EZ is the way to go. If you are planning on sinking, I would go steel mainline. If portable (remove after each/every few uses), then I've heard that the poly is easier. I planning on installing this weekend for the first time.

I worked a lot with Ed on this, and his customer service is exceptional. Call him up and talk with him. Great guy and will give you a lot of good tips.

Also, his price on buoys is the best around.

EZ Just from dealing with Ed. Its been a long time and we never did get the course, no permit. But Ed was so good to talk with and from everything I have read he is a top notch guy. I use to be on ball of spray all the time and most over on the site liked his if you do not go permanent. This is only from someone who likes doing business with a good person, place,shop. But if his course is half as good as him , well enough said.

For what it's worth, I recently bought Ed's EZ Slalom kit and built the arms myself. It was very easy and saved me approx $300.

Everything I've heard is that the EZ is the way to go. If you are planning on sinking, I would go steel mainline. If portable (remove after each/every few uses), then I've heard that the poly is easier. I planning on installing this weekend for the first time.

I worked a lot with Ed on this, and his customer service is exceptional. Call him up and talk with him. Great guy and will give you a lot of good tips.

Also, his price on buoys is the best around.

As long as you are using the hose reel to wind up the mainline as you pull it in, it makes no difference steel vs poly - I've used both of them. The only thing the poly really has going for it is that it is easier to hold onto if you need to do a power straightening of the course.

As long as you are using the hose reel to wind up the mainline as you pull it in, it makes no difference steel vs poly - I've used both of them. The only thing the poly really has going for it is that it is easier to hold onto if you need to do a power straightening of the course.

Thanks. You've clarified it better.

If your water depth isn't too deep, I would use your current one another season and then drop in individual anchors with sub buoys through the ice next winter. Then in the spring you just clip on your bouys. We have done this for a couple sites the last 2 years and it works great. Otherwise, go cable vs poly if you are leaving it in for the season. I have both a cable and poly mainline at our cabin and the poly is easier to work with for temporary use, but the cable with far outlast it if you leave it in all season. We use an accusink submersible locally and it is cable. It sits on the bottom all winter and we only raise it each time we use.

Edited by Brodie

Thanks for the responses!

I've emailed EZ-slalom for some more info.

I think we're leaning towards their TurnKey system with maybe the upgraded clips and bouy lines.

Our lake level can fluctuate sometimes so it would be nice to easily move it if necessary.

We really only get about 3 months of good skiing in so I'm thinking pulling it out

instead of sinking might pro-long its life.

stonelx Most of the problems we have had with sinking it over the winter have been with the anchor lines and the pvc pipe, the course cable has been fine for 10+ years.

If you have the extra money I would get spare cables for the different section, so you don't need to order and wait is something gets damaged.

:biggrin:

I saw that thread and tried to post up a picture but I guess you can't add attachments unless you are a paid member?

I will throw up some pics on my site and try linking them in instead.