Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Better version of boat buddy?

oldjeep

I bought one. It is well built, looks easy. Can't wait to get the boat out of storage and install it!

I'm thinking about it. Price doesn't look bad and it appears to fix the reasons I wouldn't buy a boat buddy.

Did it come with an extended bow hook? And how long is the stock bow hook on a Malibu anyways? It isn't visible in the one picture I have from the front of my boat.

Funny that they sell them $20 cheaper on ebay than they do on their own site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-latch-automatic-Ramp-N-Clamp-includes-new-1-2-inch-extended-bow-eye-/171209910643

Or even cheaper if you use the discount code that they have on the MC forum ;)

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58676

Hummm, anyone else have anything to say about these? I need to do something before this season rolls around and this looks to be a pretty good option.

FWIW, I ordered one. It does come with the extended bow loop that has to be installed so that the grabber and your winch hook will fit.

I was order #94 so I doubt there are a ton of these out in the wild, but the thread on MC teamtalk that I linked to has a few folks who have ordered/received and installed theirs.

That would never work for me. I'd have to pull my trailer in way too deep to be able to power on that far and it would never pull out of the water centered.

What is your ramp like? I'm assuming that my VTX will launch like my BL 195 since they are about the same size. The ramp we use on Minnetonka makes it real easy to just about float on and hit the bow stop - so I'm hoping it works out like that with the VTX.

Edited by oldjeep

What is your ramp like? I'm assuming that my VTX will launch like my BL 195 since they are about the same size. The ramp we use on Minnetonka makes it real easy to just about float on and hit the bow stop - so I'm hoping it works out like that with the VTX.

Our normal ramp isn't real steep...my trailer is a bit of a pain on a steep ramp. SMP trailers are known to be finicky with getting centered on the bunks. My trick is to dip it in deep to wet the bunks, pull it back out a bit, drive on to about 2-3' from the bow stop and then winch in the rest of the way. Doesn't mark up the hull or hurt the bunks but gets the boat centered (usually).

It's more a function of the trailer than the boat size. Be very careful the first few times, many inboard trailers if backed in too deep will not contact the keel until you've punched a hole in the nose of your boat. I load like Nitrousbird does, If any deeper the bow goes under the winch roller, as evidenced by the marks on my boat from before I bought it.

Cool product if it works on your combo. MC has approved it and sells it as an option on their own trailers. They did the same with the Boat Buddy years ago. My buddy also still uses his Boat Buddy on his '98 Supra Comp, always has.

It's more a function of the trailer than the boat size. Be very careful the first few times, many inboard trailers if backed in too deep will not contact the keel until you've punched a hole in the nose of your boat. I load like Nitrousbird does, If any deeper the bow goes under the winch roller, as evidenced by the marks on my boat from before I bought it.

Cool product if it works on your combo. MC has approved it and sells it as an option on their own trailers. They did the same with the Boat Buddy years ago. My buddy also still uses his Boat Buddy on his '98 Supra Comp, always has.

We've had that happen on my FIL's response, but I'm assuming it isn't an issue on the taller boats since the nose is more than 6" off the water. I figure it should work since Mastercraft uses Boatmate trailers too.

You might see MC's on dealer ordered Boatmates, but they build their own trailers. My advise is to ask if this will fit a Boatmate before ordering. I like the concept, looks better built than the Boat Buddy.

I like the idea for launching but wouldn't work for me for loading. I never power load my boat

I'm never under power when it hits the trailer. Idle up and put it in neutral, glide on. Guess it depends on your ramp.

I believe from the team talk thread the guy is talking with boat mate trailers to have them as an option

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

They already sell the Boat buddy, I'm assuming the mounting is pretty similar

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products.php?catId=1&PHPSESSID=c76e1f470a26eb82584e0fc251bd796e

I just hope it warms up one of these days so I could actually use it ;)

I'm never under power when it hits the trailer. Idle up and put it in neutral, glide on. Guess it depends on your ramp.

I'd have to have my front wheels in the water to have the trailer that deep around here. I like being able to use the bunks to center the boat easily, especially if the wind is blowing or theres a current.

I'd have to have my front wheels in the water to have the trailer that deep around here. I like being able to use the bunks to center the boat easily, especially if the wind is blowing or theres a current.

yeesh my back tires don't even get to the water

yeesh my back tires don't even get to the water

Seriously steep ramp. My back wheels are usually a few inches in the water & the boat hits the bunks when the bow is like 5' - 10' away from the bowstop. Then I either winch it up or power it up the rest of the way.

FYI - I confirmed with the manufacturer and Boatmate this is NOT a direct fit at this time, working on it though. I have a new trailer on order and was considering purchasing this, but as of right now it's a no go.

• Like 1

I'd like to figure a way to rig something like this up on my lift...

Wouldn't you just have to install a bow stop on the lift? Seems like you wouldn't need the automatic latch so much as just a big cushion like on the front of the old Correct Craft trailers.

fotka.php.jpg

I wouldn't think that it would work very well on a lift since you would be floating coming in and if it locked at that height then what happens when you raise the lift.

They already make something like what Bill is describing - picture is my boat on previous owners lift. I don't have any info on who makes it.

post-22501-0-36450200-1395418486_thumb.j

FYI - I confirmed with the manufacturer and Boatmate this is NOT a direct fit at this time, working on it though. I have a new trailer on order and was considering purchasing this, but as of right now it's a no go.

Do you know what the problem is? I thought things were pretty standard.