Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing 'dead' carpet...there's no turning back now!

Intense

My carpet has been driving me nuts for the past couple seasons. It's completely matted down, kinda nasty, and the adhesive was obviously failing in a few places. I guess 10 years and 2000+ hours will have that effect.

Over the winter, I decided it was time for a change. I really like the faux teak they use on the SANs. After I discovered it was made by Seadeck, I figured, if it's good enough for Nautique (and a $100k+ boat), it's good enough for me.

That being said, in my search, I discovered there are more that a few faux teak materials out there. Some look nicer, some would most likely hold up better, some do a better job of simulating wood, but ALL of them were WAY more than Seadeck. I realize that I'll probably get what I pay for, but I couldn't justify spending four times as much for what I did feel was a product that was not four times better.

Taking advantage of the warm Carolina weather we had last week, myself and couple buddies took to ripping out the old. Particular challenges we ran across. Any fasteners that weren't SS were corroded beyond recognition and the ones that weren't corroded took some heavy negotiating to come out properly. In the end, many screw heads were drilled off. Lots of hidden screws in the carpet made it all but impossible to remove some fasteners cleanly. At one point, I used a hack saw blade to just cut the screws when we couldn't find the screw heads.

The cooler was an absolute b$&!ch to get out. It took some create problem solving, some pounding, and lots of tugging to get them free. For the life of me, I can't figure out how Malibu installed that so cleanly.

The adhesive was most definitely non-existent under much of the carpet. Particularly the areas where it remained wet a lot of the summer. Any place it was still stuck became unstuck with the help of a transfer shovel.

The rest of the seat bases and cushions came out with relative ease. The only carpet I didn't remove was in the rear lockers. I know it doesn't make much sense to stop there, but that area spends the whole season buried under fat sacs. No one sees it anyways. And I really want to replace that carpet, it'll be a lot easier than the rest of the boat.

I've ordered the template (Mylar) kit from Seadeck. I'm thinking (hoping) 3 pieces of Mylar will be enough to accurately capture the floor. We'll see.....

Onto the pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-2764-13933025503043_thumb.jpg

post-2764-13933025792527_thumb.jpg

post-2764-13933026084169_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's going to be cool to see. I looked at a bunch of boat show boats last Saturday with it in them, nice texture, nice look.

Pic #1 - no shoes in the boat!! That's the problem!!

That's going to be cool to see. I looked at a bunch of boat show boats last Saturday with it in them, nice texture, nice look.

Pic #1 - no shoes in the boat!! That's the problem!!

I'm guessing that (shoes on the boat) was the problem with the carpet....lol

Edited by REHinH20

I did see that thread on wakeworld. I wish I had the time and patience to put in the level of effort he has. That being said, I'll be doing 95% of what he's done. Just not to the same level of details he's taken it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay since my last update. A combination of my crazy travel schedule and crap-tastic weather when I am here made it difficult to move to the next steps.

Brief side note, I started to question my choice in replacement materials from a durability perspective. I requested samples of several other products including NuTeak, Flexiteek, and a couple others. Ultimately, I stayed with SeaDek. Mainly because of the padding the SeaDek offers, but also for temp. Most everyone that went with the other stuff reported that it got very hot. Also, I had a chance to sample some of the other stuff on a recent cruise. It's the right application in that instance, but not in my boat.

Back on topic, I finally had a chance to lay down Mylar (suggested by SeaDek) and trace out a pattern of my floor. The pattern was rolled up and shipped out today. SeaDek indicated that it should take about 4 weeks for me to get the finished product back. That is assuming all communications between myself and them go smoothly and quickly. The bulk of the time is chewed up by the CAD drafter (10 days) and actually cutting the pattern (10 days).

Now that I've sent the pattern in, time to get the rest of my mods/maintenance done! Can't wait to see the finish product!

As soon as I figure out how to attach pics from my computer, you'll see phase 2

I wanna find out what the expense is! PM me please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thus far, my only expense has been pizza and beer....bribing my friends to help my pull up the old carpet (and most of the interior).

And I did spend $30 with SeaDek to get some rolls of Mylar for tracing out the pattern on my floor.

Obviously, the big expense will be when they give me a quote for the new floor..

I priced some seadek custom pieces for my trailer and they wanted a rediculous amount of money for them I can't imagine what an entire floor would cost. I am pretty certain it's more than the 500 dollars I have in carpet which I just received today! Any way should be very cool when it's done and I would also like to know what they quote you to have it done. Are you carpeting the seat bases or what's your plan for all the trim work and seat bases?

• 3 weeks later...