Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MasterCraft's Gen 2 Surf System in action

tylerk83

How is Mastercraft still in business? Other than having a bit more billet bling and probably the best vinyl of anyone out there, I can't see why anyone would want one of their boats. Overpriced, weird styling, questionable wakes on some models, not known for their surf ability as a brand, ugliest towers in the industry - I just don't get the Mastercraft thing at all.

I really like MC boats but I find them to fall short in 2 areas

1)pricing

2)surf wake (jury is still out in my mind on this new system)

Those being two of the most important things to me in a boat, I'm out....

Edited by DocPhilMD

How is Mastercraft still in business? Other than having a bit more billet bling and probably the best vinyl of anyone out there, I can't see why anyone would want one of their boats. Overpriced, weird styling, questionable wakes on some models, not known for their surf ability as a brand, ugliest towers in the industry - I just don't get the Mastercraft thing at all.

Hit the nail on the head... When I was looking to purchase I thought the same thing.

You may not get it but your opinion doesn't make a brand. Plenty of people love the brand for a variety of reasons. I agree with some of the things you said, but in general the brand does a lot of things well. Pricing is comparable to the other big 2, quality is IMHO better than malibu, styling is subjective, marketing is far superior than any other brand, historically mastercraft has been one of the innovators, they have a lot of history, wakes on some models are world class, surfing they definitely dropped the ball on. On and on.

You may not get it but your opinion doesn't make a brand. Plenty of people love the brand for a variety of reasons. I agree with some of the things you said, but in general the brand does a lot of things well. Pricing is comparable to the other big 2, quality is IMHO better than malibu, styling is subjective, marketing is far superior than any other brand, historically mastercraft has been one of the innovators, they have a lot of history, wakes on some models are world class, surfing they definitely dropped the ball on. On and on.

I agree with you 100% except that the pricing is not competitive at all. Really it's not even close.

If you compare a well optioned X-30 with a well optioned 23 LSV, it's not in the same ballpark. Trust me, I looked hard and long

The quality might be better (arguable) but not enough to justify the insane price difference

Edited by DocPhilMD

Or you could buy a Malibu that has carpet up the sides of the interior.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Which I find to be a huge plus.

No doubt mc has some good quality, I'm not sold that it's that much better than Malibu. I do think they are over priced, about 10k more expensive on avg than bu. I have yet to see a mc dealer I would do business with. They also seem to be missing the boat on innovation lately. This new surf system looks terrible

I found the price difference to be waaaay more than that perhaps it's geographic

It was about 40 k more for a similarly equipped x30 compared to my LSV

When you factor in my trade in, it was about 50k. And trust me, I battled on that price

Insane....

I found the price difference to be waaaay more than that perhaps it's geographic

When you factor in my trade in, it was about 50k. And trust me, I battled on that price

Insane....

That's insane!! When I was looking the MCs were only about $10,000 difference.

Insane....

It must be regional. 1-2 years ago I stopped by the MC dealership and they had a decently equipped X30 for 85K. That would have stacked up pretty close to a nicely equipped LSV.

MC in the past had a strange practice of giving a dealership a certain number of boats and that was it. Period, and whether you wanted them or not. So dealerships that sold their inventory quickly could afford to jack up the prices on the few they have left due to simple supply and demand. Struggling dealers then provided deep discounts because more boats keep on coming in whether you sell them or not. I am not sure that is still the case, hopefully they learned something from the recession.

The non-power tower sort of grew on me in the short time I was there. Not having the shock covers that looked like they came off of a 1986 Enduro motorcycle gives it a huge plus. The Salt Lake dealership told me that at that time they only ordered power towers when specifically asked by a customer, since they have been such a nightmare.

Edited by TallRedRider

I agree with you 100% except that the pricing is not competitive at all. Really it's not even close.

If you compare a well optioned X-30 with a well optioned 23 LSV, it's not in the same ballpark. Trust me, I looked hard and long

Oddly, I did the same thing and expected the same result..... It was the opposite. The new 23 LSV MSRP'd higher, and actual price was higher. These were both very high optioned specs. Not sure if that makes a difference. Even the base price is higher on the new LSV. $86,500 base MSRP vs $82,000 Base MSRP on the X30. The pre-2014 LSV was much cheaper than that. A fully loaded 23LSV with a trailer runs $143,000 MSRP...... Not so cheap anymore. Great boat though.

It must be regional then

My Malibu dealer gave me a smoking deal on my LSV I(which is pretty stacked including the LS3) and the local MC guys couldn't even come below 100K with bare bones.

Made my decision easier though and I got the better surf boat

That's pretty crazy. Were they trying to get full MSRP on it?!?!

Their loss...... It should have been very easy for them to build you a nicely equipped X30 w/6.2l for less than 100k.

I'm not sure.

You telling me that many MC dealers can give a 2014 loaded X-30 for 100K?

I'm not sure.

You telling me that many MC dealers can give a 2014 loaded X-30 for 100K?

Loaded? No..... The 7.4l, And power tower would put it way over that. If it had pro pack, surf pack, 6.2l, upgraded stereo, and maybe underwater lights...... Yes, easily had for 100k.

A spec like above will MSRP at about 128k. Using a very conservative MSRP multiplier of .80, which is an "average" deal on an MC, you would have a price of 102k. A smokin deal on an MC would be a .75 multiplier, and would take some serious negotiation. However, that would put the price at 96k. Most guys end up paying between those two multipliers, so the quote should have been between 96 and 102, on a boat like that.

The guys around here weren't even coming close to that.

It would have been a tougher decision for me if it were less than 100K but I still probably would have went with the Bu

I don't trust this new MC surf system at all and the stock surf wake with surf gate on the LSV is insane

The guys around here weren't even coming close to that.

It would have been a tougher decision for me if it were less than 100K but I still probably would have went with the Bu

I don't trust this new MC surf system at all and the stock surf wake with surf gate on the LSV is insane

I know the guys of whom you speak. They are awfully expensive.

They both have a great surf wake. But ya, who knows what MC gen II is actually going to be like. Surf gate is already proven, and the new 23 is awesome.

I can't pass judgement based on those phone videos. There isn't a rider, poor video quality, and a high angle is hard to judge anything. The high RPM seems a bit odd, but that is probably just due to an improperly sized prop on one of the MC test boats. Who knows..... I will reserve judgement till I ride it.

If you ever price an MC again, just remember that multiplier rule. It has been the same for years and years. If the dealer isn't coming close to that, price it somewhere else. Or just buy another Bu.

They both have a great surf wake. But ya, who knows what MC gen II is actually going to be like. Surf gate is already proven, and the new 23 is awesome.

I can't pass judgement based on those phone videos. There isn't a rider, poor video quality, and a high angle is hard to judge anything. The high RPM seems a bit odd, but that is probably just due to an improperly sized prop on one of the MC test boats. Who knows..... I will reserve judgement till I ride it.

If you ever price an MC again, just remember that multiplier rule. It has been the same for years and years. If the dealer isn't coming close to that, price it somewhere else. Or just buy another Bu.

I will remember that. Thanks.

I agree about the Gen 2 system as well. It is simply not proven yet. Who knows? Time will tell.

As for pricing it elsewhere, I don't think that is possible.

Unless you buy a used MC....

I'm not sure it was a high angle in that video.... Fairly sure it's not. For a split second in that video you can see that they have the rear corner rubrail right and the water line while underway... That boat had a lot of weight in in... That along with then 3800rpms suggests that boat was at or near the upper limit of its capability. That was a 15ft knee high wave at best by my calibrated eyeballs.

Ya...... I can't tell anything without somebody back there riding. The angle is kinda hard to tell as well. It looks to be just from somebody shooting while standing in the boat. As for the RPM in that particular video, I wouldn't really guess that it has much weight. It is an X25, and there isn't much room in the rear storage for any serious weight. You can only fit about 1200 lbs in the back of an X25, maxed out, including the hard tanks..... because of the flip up seats. That plus the 350lbs up front, isn't a ton of weight. Unless they have changed the hard tank capacity since 2012.

Ya...... I can't tell anything without somebody back there riding. The angle is kinda hard to tell as well. It looks to be just from somebody shooting while standing in the boat. As for the RPM in that particular video, I wouldn't really guess that it has much weight. It is an X25, and there isn't much room in the rear storage for any serious weight. You can only fit about 1200 lbs in the back of an X25, maxed out, including the hard tanks..... because of the flip up seats. That plus the 350lbs up front, isn't a ton of weight. Unless they have changed the hard tank capacity since 2012.

Yes, but the X46 and the X30 vids looked like garb too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WakeflotRussia

Plus, I find it funny that MC had this dealer take the videos down. Or, that is the impression I got reading some Team Talk threads. I'm sure they want to release their own produced videos with sweet looking waves.

So, on January second, we will have some sweet looking wakes from MC produced vids and we will have some home vids from a phone that look like garb.

And we still won't know what it is like. As usual, it's gonna take time and real world reviews.

I can't wait for some crew members to demo MC Gen 2, Flow and Swell and post some legit reviews.

Edited by DocPhilMD

Pricing is NOT comparable, from what I've seen posted everywhere and at the local boat show.

I hate marketing and most miss the boat on me as a consumer. Styling of anything is subjective, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority in my opinion. History doesn't mean much when they have done nothing innovative in years. What wakes do they make that are "world class?" The X-star, their overpriced flagship, is a freaking joke. The wake isn't all that impressive for a 24' boat at its price point, with an interior of a 21' boat. All the while looking funny and costing more than any other wake boat ever made. IMO Nautique has the biggest wake trophy with the G series and the X-star is a 100% flop/joke in comparison (and I'm not a Nautique fan by any means).

To take an unbiased view, I had my wife go through the Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique and Supra displays at the Cinncy boat shows. She liked the Malibu and Supras the best (with no knowledge of price). She hated the Mastercraft and Nautique styling; the Nautique for the dash, fake teak and stupid graphics. The Mastercraft for the awful towers and interior styling. I had no arguments to any of her points. Of course the Mastercraft dealer had the typical Mastercraft attitude to go with it...oddly the Mastercraft owners I have met have never had that dealer attitude.

A fully loaded 23LSV with a trailer runs $143,000 MSRP...... Not so cheap anymore. Great boat though.

$143,000 would have to be every single option including the LSA and a blinged out trailer. I ordered mine nicely equipped with the LS3 and my MSRP was substantially lower. I wonder if base prices and options are different regionally?