Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 VLX redesign?

Fman

Is it me, or the last year or two around here everyone is crazy focused on the hype of the potential new model?

Maybe I just never payed much attention, but I don't remember in the years past ever seeing so much " pre hype" from the peanut gallery wether or not or what a new model will consist of.

What good does it do to even worry about it?

Is it me, or the last year or two around here everyone is crazy focused on the hype of the potential new model?

Maybe I just never payed much attention, but I don't remember in the years past ever seeing so much " pre hype" from the peanut gallery wether or not or what a new model will consist of.

Its funny because I have to sit in on monthly meetings at work. One day a vendor mention, "I notice you don't talk a lot in the meetings." My response was basically it doesn't matter what I say, it won't change anything. I would rather everyone shut up and stop arguing so we can go back to work. It won't change anything regardless of what our thoughts are. Speculation is a waste of time IMO. See what they do and react accordingly.
  • Like 3

Its funny because I have to sit in on monthly meetings at work. One day a vendor mention, "I notice you don't talk a lot in the meetings." My response was basically it doesn't matter what I say, it won't change anything. I would rather everyone shut up and stop arguing so we can go back to work. It won't change anything regardless of what our thoughts are. Speculation is a waste of time IMO. See what they do and react accordingly.

What you just said is exactly why I don't debate politics or religion with people. It's the biggest waste of time and in the end, nobody changes their mind. So what was the point of all the drama and emotion? Such an epic waste of time and energy.

Does the same apply to pre-launch speculation. I dunno, never thought of it until now. Perhaps you're onto something. I think we do it because deep down we all believe we could design a better boat than Bu can, so it's like playing armchair quarterback. Having been on the other side of the equation (been a part of many product design teams in the tech industry), I know it's not so easy to please everybody all the time. There are a lot of competing requirements and stakeholders. You do the best you can, make some compromises, and hope for the best. Sometimes you even know there are a few warts, which you inevitably try to iron out on the next release... just when you think you've got it right, a new chorus of naysayers have a new list of complaints. It never ends...

I guess that's why I'm not so hard on Malibu as some of you guys. I've been on the other side. I know it's not as black and white as we consumers make it out. I know that unless we were in the design meetings where the decisions get made, we really have no clue why things turn out the way they do. I try to cut the design teams a break. It's a tough job, and believe it or not, we're not the only stakeholders.

When I look at the new 23 LSV, I see an overall beautiful boat, with a few black eyes (the big one they already fixed):

1) plastic molded lumber support (fixed--good for you Malibu)

2) plastic grab handles (maybe)

3) cheapo wheel

4) less french stitch seams (again, the boat I was on already had one seam start to separate, which Malibu has agreed to warranty)

They warranty their product without much resistance which is good, but that only lasts for 3 years.

The answer to your question is here.

The " Pre Hype " could be from an increase in marketing.....you must also give Surfgate credit for revamping the entire Wakeboard Boat industry. Theirs so much excitement around the low impact sport of Wakesurfing. Surfgate has been a true " Game Changer " for the industry and the average enthusiast. I am simply opining. Edited by Afun

I wonder what the take up rate would be for a "premium materials upgrade package" that included:

1) high quality wheel

2) all metal where metal should be

3) increased use of french stitching

On my next boat, I bet they would be able to squeeze a pretty penny out of me for this package and I'd also be willing to bet the attach rate would be reasonably high. Should it be part of the base price? Yes.

IMHO, etc etc etc, this is what's already wrong with the current Malibu pricing structure. It just shouldn't be POSSIBLE to add $30K in options. But it is. EVERYTHING is optional, like the wedge, surfgate, stereo, mirror, etc. Maybe I'm wrong because these are all hand built one-offs, but IMHO it would make a lot more sense to have honda style dx (stripper), lx (nicely equipped), and ex (all bells and whistles) packages, plus engines and that's it.

IMHO, if that wasn't clear.

Mmmm..... Get some Surfgate's all up in ya. How they taste?

I'm sure that's it. Because before that the Power wedge made all the other boats worthless and there was endless hype about what boatthey would attach it to next?

I wish I could take you seriously.....Kinda tough when you cant figure out how to put your cover on. Don't know how to tie up, don't know how to launch or load, Do some reading, spend a few years here and then maybe I would take your input seriously.

Surfgate is not why there is so much preemptive hype here. Its already launched almost two whole years ago!

Incase you didn't know, 2007 was Malibu's biggest year for boat sales ever. It was the pinnacle. No Surf gate then only the mighty PW you so beloved.

I was here then, and prior to that. We still did not see the pages of posts on speculation about what was to come. It seems as the prices get higher and higher, people cant wait to offload the year old boat for may or may not be better. The boat isn't released yet and buyers are already lined up. Just seems bass akwards to me. When I spend as much as these boats cost, I wanna be damn sure I'm getting exactly what I want in performance, fit finish, and overall quality. How can you judge that without even knowing what your gonna maybe be looking at?

I guess I'm not a koolaid drinker and like to look past the hype and opinions of others and form my own educated opinions based on what I have in front of me, not what some guy on the internet told me.

Guess its all in good fun, but I never have seen more of it here than now.

I'm a fan of Supra's build sheet, you pretty much get everything except stereo options and motor. I do think flake is extra too, but it's pretty much loaded up from factory.

The Malibu price point looks great initially, until you start adding extra items. Charging someone $900-1200 extra for GPS cruise seems criminal to me, especially on a higher end wake boat. Add the G3 mirror, extra board racks, Bimini options, bow lights, transom lights, heater, etc etc... it adds up very quickly.

The pricing is going bonkers everywhere, even MB on there website is advertising the 23 twb for $79k + trailer and options. I guess that must be a value priced boat now.

Would not be surprised if there is a new VLX coming, it will be $95-100k by the time you take it home.

I am looking forward to seeing what Malibu has planned for a new VLX. I am sure it won't disappoint.

• Like 2

Think about why redesign is exciting....add in all the possibilities of even newer Surf technology. Look at Supra, and the other manufacturers coming out with their own technology. You call 2007 a good year for Malibu. You could probably close your eyes and pick any company who had record year in 2007. That was the last year of the Epic boom followed by one of the largest collapses ever.

BB asked " whats all the hype "....simple...more surfing, surfgate, new people, marketing like " 50k all day ", tige introducing a boat with a guy surfing for days behind it and other examples... I think this very forum adds to the hype...WHICH I TRULY ENJOY!

Wakesurfing has exploded in popularity! I believe thats why we have hype and now factor in Surfgate. I think wakesurfing was up and coming on its own. Surfgate can be credited to the growing hype as to what Apple Iphones has done to telecommunications....

Com'on Com'on

ahopkins22LSV

The hype = how addicted society is to these craves like "YOLO", "EPIC" and social media. All companies are feeding off it as much as possible.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Its not even hype. Its rampant speculation. That's it. There has been no hype of any new product here yet......just what everyone predicts will happen and how its going to be a homerun.

Why not and see what comes forth, analyze if it is something you have to have at that point? Once again the OP was looking for info if the VLX would be redesigned. That's it. Nobody here has provided any concrete evidence that it will be. Just a bunch of speculation and some tuggjob on Surfgate, which we all know WILL be available on the next VLX when it drops. Don't think that's even up for debate. But yet you want to TRY and push buttons .......again.

I hope all this works out for at least a small promo deal for you on your next boat, because you sure ride that dude till it's raw. It would be a shame for BC to not pay you back in some form or another.

I also hate to tell you , SG is only a huge deal for Malibu guys. I have yet to see one prominent pro wake surfer jump ship and have to have a SG boat because of the convenience factor. I have a few industry friends and they don't seem too worried either.

I'm back--I couldn't stay in self imposed time out any longer. It is a Malibu "enthusiast's" forum. There is bound to be speculation. Frankly any topic related to boating, lakes, watersports, bikinis on my boat, and yes rampant speculation (not necessarily in that order), is likely a conversation I will enjoy.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 3

I'm back--I couldn't stay in self imposed time out any longer. It is a Malibu "enthusiast's" forum. There is bound to be speculation. Frankly any topic related to boating, lakes, watersports, bikinis on my boat, and yes rampant speculation (not necessarily in that order), is likely a conversation I will enjoy.

I agree 100% with this. I could not have said it any better. I also love the Passion BB brings to this forum. Passion Baby!

What I want to know Afun, is if you act this way on all internet forums. You're like an 11 year-old off of his Ritalin. :crazy: It's always entertaining.

<oo, shiny thing>

This forum and my RC racing forum. I am exactly like this in person. I have funny bone. Thank You

I'm not disagreeing with Big B. His observation is probably accurate. I just view it as more of a game--make a prediction, see who is right. Slow news day sort of thing. I'm not just passionate about Malibus. I really like Nautiques also. If I got a slalom machine, I'd even consider the new prostar.