Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 VLX redesign?

Fman

Isn't it pretty obvious what we're going to see...?

Picture a 2014 LSV 23 that's missing 18" of length in the cabin. Everything else will be the same.

+1

Isn't it pretty obvious what we're going to see...?

Picture a 2014 LSV 23 that's missing 18" of length in the cabin. Everything else will be the same.

Yes, I think generally it will be similar to the 23LSV. But, will there be room for a seat bench along the transom? Will they be able to the do the deep storage under the seats? Will there by room for one or both of the wakeview seats? Will they be able to put the batteries under the seat? Will they continue using those new plastic grab handles with stickers? (I wish malibu would resist the temptation to cheapen the materials of the boat.)

I'm a details oriented kind of person.

The VLX will have:

G4 tower

More freeboard

New electronic interface

Same bottom shape with some small tweaks

Sundeck seating

Larger Surfgates

Redesigned Wedge

More chromed plastic

Less french seams in the vinyl

Lot's of stickers

Plenty of good and some bad.

Edited by Tims

Yes, I think generally it will be similar to the 23LSV. But, will there be room for a seat bench along the transom? Will they be able to the do the deep storage under the seats? Will there by room for one or both of the wakeview seats? Will they be able to put the batteries under the seat? Will they continue using those new plastic grab handles with stickers? (I wish malibu would resist the temptation to cheapen the materials of the boat.)

I'm a details oriented kind of person.

To be clear, I'm 100% speculating. But based on sheer physics, here's what I'd guess:

Tramsom seat bench - yes, you will see that. Every redesign Malibu has done since 2011 has had this feature. They even did it on the 20 MXZ, so why not on the 21.5 VLX?

Deep storage under seats - yes, why not? It just requires making the boat as tall as the LSV. There is no physical reason why they shouldn't do it. If you're wondering if a 21.5' boat can handle those dimensions, just look at the SC350 & G21. In fact I'd argue that because the trend is toward taller, deeper, more bloated designs even in the 21'ers that Malibu would be foolish NOT to go as tall as the LSV.

Wakeview seats - For sure there's room on the port side. And I'm sure they could do it behind the driver too, but an adult would just have to sit with their knees up. I don't think that will stop Malibu from doing it. Again, gotta keep up with the competition who all have rear facing seats. But I don't think they can do both a flip up seat back and a drop in cooler in a VLX. Maybe they move the Igloo cooler to the coffin seat on the other side??

Batteries under observer seat - I don't see why not.

Grab handles - the handles are NOT plastic; they are heavy, machined metal with a darker, brushed finish that marches other metal interior bits (glove box door, throttle, push button start, horn, etc.). With how much guys rip on chrome these days, I'm surprised folks don't like the new, darker finish of the handles. In person, they look great and I've actually had friends in the boat for the first time notice them and compliment how cool they look. Also the logos are NOT stickers. They are definitely glued in "inserts" but they are super thick. Not nearly as cheap feeling as you are imagining (have you see in person). You would have a hard time peeling or removing one off.

20140518_214233_zpszbmtu1j0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

^^^IXFE you and I are not seeing the same thing on these handles. I spent an afternoon on a 2014 23 LSV on Sunday. First off, it's a beautiful boat and I was salivating over it. But, those handles were dense plastic--not metal. Knock on them. The "stickers" did not look like glued in insert to me. They looked like drip molded stickers stuck on a flat surface. I'd be curious of others opinions on this matter. I tapped and poked at those handles for some time trying to figure out what they were made of. My conclusion was plastic after tapping other metal items in the boat.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 3

I wouldn't doubt the transom bar is metal. I'm talking about the smaller interior grab handles. They didn't sound/feel like metal when I was tapping them. I hope I'm wrong, cause I'm certain whatever they are will be on the 2015 VLX.

Edited by Cory

Yeah the ones in my boat are metal, they don't have the little malibu markers on them, so the newer ones could be plastic, but I know for a fact mine are metal

^^^IXFE you and I are not seeing the same thing on these handles. I spent an afternoon on a 2014 23 LSV on Sunday. First off, it's a beautiful boat and I was salivating over it. But, those handles were dense plastic--not metal. Knock on them. The "stickers" did not look like glued in insert to me. They looked like drip molded stickers stuck on a flat surface. I'd be curious of others opinions on this matter. I tapped and poked at those handles for some time trying to figure out what they were made of. My conclusion was plastic after tapping other metal items in the boat.

Well now you have me second guessing myself. I'll look closer tonight when I get home. I may even pull one off to really give a thorough look over.

The logo is not a sticker, at least by my definition. A drip molded sticker is usually soft and "gel like" to the touch (i.e. domedletters, 3dlettering, etc.). These logos feel more like injection molded plastic. They are rigid and much thicker than any drip molded stickers I've ever seen. There's a big difference in the durability of what you're calling a sticker vs. what I'm seeing in my boat at home. The only way to know for sure would be to try and peal one off, which I'm sure you can understand I'm not willing to do just to win a debate on teh interweb.

Bottom line, the handles don't feel cheap to me. That's not to say I love them. But my issue with them is not finish, it's the location. I don't like when boat companies "remove" soft seat back material for hard metal grab handles (Nautique and MC are both guilty of this). I know that handles are a Coast Guard requirement, but why couldn't Malibu "hide" them the way they did on the current VLX where they are incorporated as part of the cup holder area (vertical handles). That's a much cleaner integration. The way it is now they look like a bit like an afterthought.

4838272355_375e602220.jpg

Edited by IXFE

IXFE, I think the handles "look" great. I have no beef with their appearance. It's more of a sadness that Malibu is cutting corners (assuming I'm correct). I'm not trying to win a debate--I truly want them to be metal. I foresee another malibu in my future (at some point). My concern is longevity. Plastic doesn't last as long as metal. Maybe neither of us will hold onto boats long enough to matter, maybe this is the boat you hold onto for 20 yrs. Who knows. But, I prefer "authentic materials" that will last long term, just in case the boat is the last one. It also feeds into an overall perception of quality and durability.

This is one place where I give Mastercraft credit. Everything in their boats that looks like metal--is metal.

Like I said--I hope I'm wrong. Please prove me wrong.

If I'm correct, I just don't get Malibu on this. How much does this truly save them on a $100k boat? Just up the price $100, if you must meet a certain target profit. Fine, use these gimmicks on the Ride series or the Axis boats, perhaps every dollar counts on those boats, but on the wakesetter line??? Your premium boat? If I'm shelling out $100k for the premium boat, I'll shell out another $100 or even more to avoid plastic, where metal should be.

UPDATE: these handles have since been proven by IXFE to be metal.

Edited by Cory

Well now you have me second guessing myself. I'll look closer tonight when I get home. I may even pull one off to really give a thorough look over.

The logo is not a sticker, at least by my definition. A drip molded sticker is usually soft and "gel like" to the touch (i.e. domedletters, 3dlettering, etc.). These logos feel more like injection molded plastic. They are rigid and much thicker than any drip molded stickers I've ever seen. There's a big difference in the durability of what you're calling a sticker vs. what I'm seeing in my boat at home. The only way to know for sure would be to try and peal one off, which I'm sure you can understand I'm not willing to do just to win a debate on teh interweb.

Bottom line, the handles don't feel cheap to me. That's not to say I love them. But my issue with them is not finish, it's the location. I don't like when boat companies "remove" soft seat back material for hard metal grab handles (Nautique and MC are both guilty of this). I know that handles are a Coast Guard requirement, but why couldn't Malibu "hide" them the way they did on the current VLX where they are incorporated as part of the cup holder area (vertical handles). That's a much cleaner integration. The way it is now they look like a bit like an afterthought.

4838272355_375e602220.jpg

Look at that...roomy enough to play a game of Mumblety-Peg...

What did you think of the "leatherish" steering wheel?

Big fail if they asked me. It's the single most used driver interface in the whole boat and you chose to skimp there??????

I mean really?

Bobby,

It is funny you mention that too. The boat I was in had like 24 hrs on it. It was in new condition, but the "leather" at the outer seam of the wheel had already flaked away and you could see exposed foam all the way around the wheel. Malibu had already agreed to warranty the wheel, but yes that is another place they clearly cut a corner. Very sad. These small details are very important to most people purchasing these boats.

I do think we should be vocal about them cutting these corners, to encourage them to step back from the abyss.

Edited by Cory

While Malibu did cut a few corners in some areas, I give them credit for fixing a few "cheap" things about the early 23LSVs.

- side panel by the drivers feet

- metal trim on the bottom of the helm

- lower seat back cushioning

- and I believe they improved the arm rest pivots too

I did like the original SS handles though. :-(

When I look at the new 23 LSV, I see an overall beautiful boat, with a few black eyes (the big one they already fixed):

1) plastic molded lumber support (fixed--good for you Malibu)

2) plastic grab handles (maybe)

3) cheapo wheel

4) less french stitch seams (again, the boat I was on already had one seam start to separate, which Malibu has agreed to warranty)

They warranty their product without much resistance which is good, but that only lasts for 3 years.

While Malibu did cut a few corners in some areas, I give them credit for fixing a few "cheap" things about the early 23LSVs.

- side panel by the drivers feet

- metal trim on the bottom of the helm

- lower seat back cushioning

- and I believe they improved the arm rest pivots too

I did like the original SS handles though. :-(

Yes, I missed a couple of those.

What did you think of the "leatherish" steering wheel?

Big fail if they asked me. It's the single most used driver interface in the whole boat and you chose to skimp there??????

I mean really?

B... you may remember we discussed this at demo days. And I agree... total fail.

It's funny cuz most people get in the boat and say, "hey, that wheel is cool!" but they are usually looking at it from across the cabin.

It's a real nice "20 footer" just don't look too closely. Good from far, but far from good.

Fortunately wheels can be replaced.

Edited by IXFE
Bobby,

It is funny you mention that too. The boat I was in had like 24 hrs on it. It was in new condition, but the "leather" at the outer seam of the wheel had already flaked away and you could see exposed foam all the way around the wheel.

Okay now I know we must be looking at two different boats. The steering wheel has no leather on it, simulated or otherwise. It's injection molded rubber. You can even see the seam from the mold all the way around the wheel. They did go to the effort of molding in what looks like stitching on the inside of the wheel, which is a total insult to my intelligence.

Edited by IXFE

Okay now I know we are not on the same page. The steering wheel has no leather on it, simulated or otherwise. It's injection molded rubber.

I used quotes around "leather" for a reason. I guess I figured they were trying to make the wheel look like leather, but may be they are not even trying to.

I used quotes around "leather" for a reason. I guess I figured they were trying to make the wheel look like leather, but may be they are not even trying to.

Haha... okay I re-read your post. I gotcha.

I'm guessing the flaking was whatever lame coating they put on the wheel. See, I'd assumed they the wheel was black rubber through and through.

It's sad to see this lack of progression for all of long time customers, especially as the prices have skyrocketed , but that's not who BC is focused on now. It's about numbers.....new customers,and $$$. I spoke about all these things to come over 5 years ago, hoping I was wrong.

Having been a long time Malibu fan and enthusiast, I can tell you my next boat purchase will be a very tough decision having seen where things have travelled with the company and product. Jeez, this last one was a four month ordeal split between 3 different manufacturers and quite an agonizing process and some hurt feelings. Can't imagine what the next one will be like.

I wonder what the take up rate would be for a "premium materials upgrade package" that included:

1) high quality wheel

2) all metal where metal should be

3) increased use of french stitching

On my next boat, I bet they would be able to squeeze a pretty penny out of me for this package and I'd also be willing to bet the attach rate would be reasonably high. Should it be part of the base price? Yes.

Edited by Cory