Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 VLX redesign?

Fman

Why would you not want a 102" beam vs. 100" beam? Its nothing drastically different but would open up the boat a bit more. Seems to be the new trend, T22 has a 102" beam, SC has 102" beam. I definitely can see 3-4" deeper of a boat coming for more storage and ballast. Plus its always a selling feature with deeper seating that peoples kids wont fall out of the boat as easily, especially in the bow area.

I didn't want 100" beam to begin with. I thought 98" was perfect. My '08 vride was 93.5 inches, so for me 100" was quite the step up. I just don't want a huge boat. They are more difficult to manage around the dock and lift or backing into the garage. I think size variety is important. Not all consumers want the biggest boat available. We keep our boat on a boat lift in the slip of our dock. Our typical use case scenario is out for 45 mins, then back to the dock for lounging. We don't spend the "day" on the boat, even if we are spending the day doing water sports.

The trend for the 21' boat market seems to be going longer and wider, Supra SC, Nautique G21, Tige Z1, Mastercraft X25 all have 102" beam widths. It would not bother me to have additional space in the 21' boat market. I like the 21' size of a boat compared to the 23' size, and being able to gain a little more storage, and seating capacity would be a plus for our use. I guess we will see what Malibu comes up with.

When you installed the straight tow bar how does the bimini work when its up? Does it align with the cut-out? Being 6'3" can you actually walk under the straight bar without ducking under it everytime? I was looking at my tower the other day and it looks like with a straight bar it would hit me sqaure in the forehead everytime I walked under it. It appears the factory hoop is angled upward to give some more head clearance.

The garage clearance hoop that the factory offers as an option is not straight. It curves up in the middle just like the original hoop, it just doesn't curve back as far as the original hoop. So no I do not hit my head or have any problems with needing to duck. If I did that would be a deal breaker for me since I would be hitting my head all the time. I posted pictures of both hoops, along with a picture showing the garage clearance hoop part number, in an older thread.

I modded the bimini with a new hole, so the bimini works just the same as it did with the original hoop since all of the bimini attachment points are on the tower legs and not on the hoop. I have both hoops and there is no difference with how the bimini works once you mod it for the hole location.

Was going to upgrade our 2011 VLX to a surfgate 2014 model, think I'll wait now and see what happens with 2015 VLX. Downside is it's rumoured that there will be substantial price increases next year for Aust.

2014 VLX with Surfgate, Maliview, Wedge is already at $105K plus any other options.

When I read your post...it makes me happy I bought my boat when I did. I mean these price increases are incredible.

This talk about the Bimini top reminds me about how flawed the design is. The Z5 Bimini is nice & really functional, yet you still have to drive 55 mph. Also, you can't put the top down. You have to start removing brackets to do that. I hate my bimini. I like it up, but I ate doing it.

THE NEW VLX WILL HAVE A NEW BIMINI DESIGN, I'm sure of it. If they don't, it should not be redesigned. This is a hot button for me.

By the way...my electronics have been flawless too.

They do have the CS slider Bimini which works much better for taking Bimini up and down. Problem with this Bimini is it is not user friendly for lowering tower, needs to be removed which is a pia.

Maybe boat prices are at there peak for awhile, there has to be a break over point to where they just don't sell. $105k for a VLX is insane, I hope that is a misprint. I paid $73k for my 2013 and I thought that was high.

This talk about the Bimini top reminds me about how flawed the design is. The Z5 Bimini is nice & really functional, yet you still have to drive 55 mph. Also, you can't put the top down. You have to start removing brackets to do that. I hate my bimini. I like it up, but I ate doing it.

THE NEW VLX WILL HAVE A NEW BIMINI DESIGN, I'm sure of it. If they don't, it should not be redesigned. This is a hot button for me.

By the way...my electronics have been flawless too.

If it has the G3 odds are it won't have a new bimini.

Garage size is a BIG issue. If I can't get the next VLX in my garage that is a deal breaker and I won't be buying a new Malibu. I think it is very important for Malibu to retain more than just the VTX with a size that fits in a typical garage. Not sure if the 20 MXZ fits in a typical garage height wise...

I couldn't agree more. Searched forever for a good VTX, ended up with a '09 VLX instead. Couldn't be happier, but had to remodel the house AGAIN to fit this one. The only year with the XS tower and removeable tow hoop to make garage clearance. 1/2" all sides, no joke. Heard you can get straight hoop for G3 tower, which will clear 7' door.

• 4 months later...

I was told a few things that sound pretty interesting, but like most others - was told to not say anything. I have had malibu rep on my butt before on here, don't want it to happen again..... :innocent:

I was told a few things that sound pretty interesting, but like most others - was told to not say anything. I have had malibu rep on my butt before on here, don't want it to happen again..... :innocent:

You should tell us what you know, Bama. I doubt the MC reps will care much. :rofl:

• Like 2

You should tell us what you know, Bama. I doubt the MC reps will care much. :rofl:

noooo, I'm done pissing people off on this board..... LOL!!

Plus, I was told back during boat show season so stuff has probably changed since then.

Edited by bamabonners

noooo, I'm done pissing people off on this board..... LOL!!

Plus, I was told back during boat show season so stuff has probably changed since then.

If it has changed, then no problem telling us their out dated plans. Otherwise, open another covert account like (ImNotBamaBonners) and spill the beans. No one will know it is you.

• Like 2