Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 VLX redesign?

Fman

The problem I have seen with the new Supra boeats has been price. At the boat show last year the SA450 was $10k more than a LS3 equiped MXZ, both with metallic flake and similar options. Their new models are nice but I sure didn't see any reason to pay that kind of premium. Hopefully your local dealer is more price competitive.

I agree, with LS3 it is a $100k boat. The dealer by my house is putting together a demo day, I won't pass it up to surf behind it and see the boat on the water. I really like there drivers helm, all vision commands are duplicated with toggle switches. They also left the analog tach, speed, fuel and wake plate gauges. It gives you the option to either use toggle switches or the touch screen vision. I also like the remove able center walkway seat you can easily take out or add in when needed. It stows nicely under glove box storage.

I will more than likely be keeping my VLX but I can't pass up some time on the water with the SC to see how it performs. I have a feeling pricing for a 14 VLX with the LS3 would more than likely not be to far off from the SC. If you compare apples to apples in how Supra loads up there boats and how Malibu makes you pay extra for a lot of features.

Edited by Fman

maybe, but its interesting their market share is declining from 2012 and is down 25% since 2008:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1590976/000119312513473426/d621288ds1.htm

see page 2

I never said they were priced right. That's my biggest complaint with them . I think going forwards with two new models and another in the works they are making big strides in getting towards THAT price point. All I was saying is the Supra product has come a long way and continues to get better. Better to the point that a die hard Bu' guy can at least admit it and intertain owning one. Couldn't have said that 3-4 years ago.

Seems to me that if I was Tinker, I would be willing to price the quality product in order to obtain that market share and build the brand. But what do I know?

Was going to upgrade our 2011 VLX to a surfgate 2014 model, think I'll wait now and see what happens with 2015 VLX. Downside is it's rumoured that there will be substantial price increases next year for Aust.

2014 VLX with Surfgate, Maliview, Wedge is already at $105K plus any other options.

Was going to upgrade our 2011 VLX to a surfgate 2014 model, think I'll wait now and see what happens with 2015 VLX. Downside is it's rumoured that there will be substantial price increases next year for Aust.

2014 VLX with Surfgate, Maliview, Wedge is already at $105K plus any other options.

Ouch. I recon you with be around $120k then.

Ouch. I recon you with be around $120k then.

Unfortunately yes, add a stereo and big motor and will probalby get to that amount.

I never said they were priced right. That's my biggest complaint with them . I think going forwards with two new models and another in the works they are making big strides in getting towards THAT price point. All I was saying is the Supra product has come a long way and continues to get better. Better to the point that a die hard Bu' guy can at least admit it and intertain owning one. Couldn't have said that 3-4 years ago.

Seems to me that if I was Tinker, I would be willing to price the quality product in order to obtain that market share and build the brand. But what do I know?

I hear you. They do look good but I haven't been behind a new one in years.

I dont' think they will change the length. They already have a 22ft boat in the fleet and the VLX is already 21.5. Increasing this length would leave a substantial gap between the 20' VTX and the next larger model.

I expect the changes will be similar to the 2014 LSV. It is possible they will increase the beam to 102"--though I hope not. It would be ashame to make nearly every boat in their lineup the full legal width and provide the consumer little or no options when it comes to size. I don't want or need a bigger boat than the current gen VLX.

I would image all the malibu boat will get either an update to maliview (software screen options or hardware screen size) and/or an update to the tower. Both of these features haven't changed in some time, so I suspect something on these fronts will be revised for all boats.

The problem I have seen with the new Supra boats has been price. At the boat show last year the SA450 was $10k more than a LS3 equiped MXZ, both with metallic flake and similar options. Their new models are nice but I sure didn't see any reason to pay that kind of premium. Hopefully your local dealer is more price competitive.

similar options from Malibu? Like what - the better electronics package (murphy system), the height adjustable seat, the standard gps, standard plotter, the tower that folds easily, the step down into the cockpit so you don't have to step on a seat, better vinyl (in my opinion, it feels better),......

Sorry, but Malibu is behind Supra, and others, on many features. The ONE big feature that Malibu has is surf gate.

Edited by bamabonners

similar options from Malibu? Like what - the better electronics package (murphy system), the height adjustable seat, the standard gps, standard plotter, the tower that folds easily, the step down into the cockpit so you don't have to step on a seat, better vinyl (in my opinion, it feels better),......

Sorry, but Malibu is behind Supra, and others, on many features. The ONE big feature that Malibu has is surf gate.

Good grief, you are certainly drinking the Malibu hating punch since you bought a MC.

I couldn't care less about a height adjustable seat. I'm 6'3", my wife is 5'0", somehow neither of us have any problems driving the boat using the flip up bolster it already has. A power seat is just one more gizmo to break. But you are right, that is one option Supra has that Mailbu doesn't. I had no idea a power seat was worth $10k.

Better vinyl? After spending lots of time in both, not at all in my opinion.

The MXZ that was $10K less had GPS. I like having the option, since my paddle wheel setup works perfectly on our river.

The G3 tower not only folds as easly as the Supra tower, it also fits under a 7' garage door, and has 4 sets of board racks. Two things the Supra tower can't do.

Better electronics? Based on what? Show some real data if you are going to make those kind of claims. I have had zero problems with the electronics package in my Malibu, along with apparantly thousands of other owners, since Malibu has been strongly gaining market share since 2008. Malibu offers a 3-year warranty on their electronics and gauges, Supra offers 1, sure doesn't seem better to me...

Amazing that wakeboats survived without a step down for all these years, and now it's a requirement. Regardless I'd rather have a boat built by the industry leading company, that has better warranty coverage on pretty much every important component, than worry about a step down that I don't see a need for.

Good grief, you are certainly drinking the Malibu hating punch since you bought a MC.

I couldn't care less about a height adjustable seat. I'm 6'3", my wife is 5'0", somehow neither us have any problems driving the boat using the flip up bolster it already has. A power seat is just one more gizmo to break. But you are right, that is one option Supra has that Mailbu doesn't. I had no idea a power seat was worth $10k.

Better vinyl? After spending lots of time in both, not at all in my opinion.

The MXZ that was $10K less had GPS. I like having the option, since my paddle wheel setup works perfectly on our river.

The G3 tower not only folds as easly as the Supra tower, it also fits under a 7' garage door, and has 4 sets of board racks. Two things the Supra tower can't do.

Better electronics? Based on what? Show some real data if you are going to make those kind of claims. I have had zero problems with the electronics package in my Malibu, along with apparantly thousands of other owners, since Malibu has been strongly gaining market share since 2008. Malibu offers a 3-year warranty on their electronics and gauges, Supra offers 1, sure doesn't seem better to me...

Amazing that wakeboats survived without a step down for all these years, and now it's a requirement. Regardless I'd rather have a boat built by the industry leading company, that has better warranty coverage on pretty much every important component, than worry about a step down that I don't see a need for.

As much as I like my VLX, have to disagree on the tower folding down easily. Plus, don't you have a different hoop to fit in your 7' garage? I know my VLX on a lower trailer barely clears 7'5" and requires me to remove mirror bracket, quad racks, tow ball, and losses Bimini mount. The Supra tower folds down ridiculously easy, two levels and drop her. They also have also have quad board racks which are super easy to remove. The Bimini on the SC is also easy to deploy and fold up. Took me about 20 seconds to put the Bimini up and the same to fold it up.

I really think Malibu could come up with a better tower folding mechanism other than two knobs. And the Supra Vision is pretty darn sweet, touch screen but with duplicated toggle switches, you can go old school or high tech.

I am 6,1" and had to raise my seat up 2" to give better viewing, I still think Malibu could do better here.

Again, not trying to bash Malibu but the Supra has some really nice features imo Malibu is lacking.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3

I am not "hating" on Malibu. I am voicing my opinion on items that matter to me and my family. I would have no problems owning another Malibu, if they checked the boxes we want checked at the time of purchase. I am also very quick to praise Malibu as well.

If Malibu CEO called and asked me tomorrow my thoughts on Malibu, i would tell him the same thing - my opinion. Great boat, but doesn't have all of the features I am looking for. You may have a different answer, but it doens't mean I am "hating".

You seem a little too sensitive about a differing opinion on a boat.

And....to add further - there items on my MC that I think are negatives that MC owners might not agree with. Big deal....

Edited by bamabonners

Info that I’ve been told is that the SC won’t get on plane as quick as a Malibu nor is the handling at Malibu levels. Seems they want to be Malibu but are taking pieces to imitate but missing the big picture. Interesting list of changes to the VLX.... :innocent:

As much as I like my VLX, have to disagree on the tower folding down easily. Plus, don't you have a different hoop to fit in your 7' garage? I know my VLX on a lower trailer barely clears 7'5" and requires me to remove mirror bracket, quad racks, tow ball, and losses Bimini mount. The Supra tower folds down ridiculously easy, two levels and drop her. They also have also have quad board racks which are super easy to remove. The Bimini on the SC is also easy to deploy and fold up. Took me about 20 seconds to put the Bimini up and the same to fold it up.

I really think Malibu could come up with a better tower folding mechanism other than two knobs. And the Supra Vision is pretty darn sweet, touch screen but with duplicated toggle switches, you can go old school or high tech.

I am 6,1" and had to raise my seat up 2" to give better viewing, I still think Malibu could do better here.

Again, not trying to bash Malibu but the Supra has some really nice features imo Malibu is lacking.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3

The garage clearance hoop is a factory no-cost option that allows the tower to fold under 7’. There is no option that allows the Supra tower to fold under 7’. This Malibu option can easily be utilized if you chose to do so, it makes a big difference with IMO no drawbacks.

I fold my tower by myself every time I take the boat out. I folded the Supra tower at the dealer when I checked it out. They are both weightless. The Supra you turn 2 levers, the G3 you unscrew two knobs. I think it’s incorrect to say that one is super easy and one is difficult. They are so similar in that regard that it’s splitting hairs. However I do know that many of those Roswell towers with the locking levers needed extra brackets to keep them from coming loose. It is the black bracket in the picture below:

11454406705_88f72a1e5b.jpg

Those brackets completely negate the ability of the tower to fold. What good is a lever if you have 2 brackets with 4 bolts that requires tools anyway? There are even pictures all over the Roswell website showing these brackets on the towers that eliminate the ability to fold. When you guys are talking about how much better these Roswell towers are, I don’t know if you aren’t familiar with these problems, or are just ignoring them. I'm sure not confident yet that all of those problems have been fixed on the new designs, since many of those pictures are from 2012 boats.

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/1.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/6.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/16.jpg

Glad to hear Supra is putting on 4 board racks now. Can the tower still be folded with all 4 racks on? It looks like the upper set of board racks will hit the windshield unless you remove them first but I haven’t seen one with 4 board racks in person yet.

And I completely agree, Malibu can do better in several areas too, no arguments from me there. For example I think the new dash design is terrible, and I keep hoping they will fix it in coming years.

Edited by Brett B

I am not "hating" on Malibu. I am voicing my opinion on items that matter to me and my family. I would have no problems owning another Malibu, if they checked the boxes we want checked at the time of purchase. I am also very quick to praise Malibu as well.

If Malibu CEO called and asked me tomorrow my thoughts on Malibu, i would tell him the same thing - my opinion. Great boat, but doesn't have all of the features I am looking for. You may have a different answer, but it doens't mean I am "hating".

You seem a little too sensitive about a differing opinion on a boat.

And....to add further - there items on my MC that I think are negatives that MC owners might not agree with. Big deal....

I guess then we both missed the point a bit. You highlighted my statement that they had similar options, and ranted about how much better the Supra Murphy system was without any actual facts to justify your statements. I was answering why I thought the boats did in fact have similar options, but you haven’t said a single thing to tell any of us why a Supra didn’t have “similar options” and is worth $10K more. All I saw was an adjustable seat.

I should say it again. I do think Supra makes nice boats, I like all of the big brands in fact, including Nautique and MC as well. I looked at all of them extensively before deciding on my current boat, and will do so again when it’s time to upgrade. I was simply sharing my opinion that I didn’t see anything in the overall package making the Supra worth $10k more for similar options, and received a response as if I were a blind idiot to not see the clear advantage of a power seat and “better electronics package”.

Edited by Brett B

I guess then we both missed the point a bit. You highlighted my statement that they had similar options, and ranted about how much better the Supra Murphy system was without any actual facts to justify your statements. I was answering why I thought the boats did in fact have similar options, but you haven’t said a single thing to tell any of us why a Supra didn’t have “similar options” and is worth $10K more. All I saw was an adjustable seat.

I should say it again. I do think Supra makes nice boats, I like all of the big brands in fact, including Nautique and MC as well. I looked at all of them extensively before deciding on my current boat, and will do so again when it’s time to upgrade. I was simply sharing my opinion that I didn’t see anything in the overall package making the Supra worth $10k more for similar options, and received a response as if I were a blind idiot to not see the clear advantage of a power seat and “better electronics package”.

Its all good buddy. :cheers:

The garage clearance hoop is a factory no-cost option that allows the tower to fold under 7’. There is no option that allows the Supra tower to fold under 7’. This Malibu option can easily be utilized if you chose to do so, it makes a big difference with IMO no drawbacks.

I fold my tower by myself every time I take the boat out. I folded the Supra tower at the dealer when I checked it out. They are both weightless. The Supra you turn 2 levers, the G3 you unscrew two knobs. I think it’s incorrect to say that one is super easy and one is difficult. They are so similar in that regard that it’s splitting hairs. However I do know that many of those Roswell towers with the locking levers needed extra brackets to keep them from coming loose. It is the black bracket in the picture below:

11454406705_88f72a1e5b.jpg

Those brackets completely negate the ability of the tower to fold. What good is a lever if you have 2 brackets with 4 bolts that requires tools anyway? There are even pictures all over the Roswell website showing these brackets on the towers that eliminate the ability to fold. When you guys are talking about how much better these Roswell towers are, I don’t know if you aren’t familiar with these problems, or are just ignoring them. I'm sure not confident yet that all of those problems have been fixed on the new designs, since many of those pictures are from 2012 boats.

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/1.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/6.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/16.jpg

Glad to hear Supra is putting on 4 board racks now. Can the tower still be folded with all 4 racks on? It looks like the upper set of board racks will hit the windshield unless you remove them first but I haven’t seen one with 4 board racks in person yet.

And I completely agree, Malibu can do better in several areas too, no arguments from me there. For example I think the new dash design is terrible, and I keep hoping they will fix it in coming years.

Good info on the Roswell tower, I assumed the tower had no issues. It felt very solid at the dealer. I do think you would need to remove the upper racks to fold the tower, its one allen bolt and they slide off. The tower I was looking at only had one set of board racks, not the quad setup. The SC on a blinged boatmate trailer (18" wheels) was right at 7'5" when we folded the tower.

Were the levers actually coming loose dropping the tower while people were in the boat on the water? Yikes, that would be scary... hopefully the 2014 models have a fix on this. When I was referring to the G3 vs. Roswell it was really in functionality for collapsing, and putting the bimini up and down. No doubt the G3 is a solid tower when it comes to stability and holding equipment. I also like the bimini on the G3 better than the SC for coverage in the boat, the G3 bimini seems to cover more of lounge area and the SC is more directed towards the front of the boat.

When you installed the straight tow bar how does the bimini work when its up? Does it align with the cut-out? Being 6'3" can you actually walk under the straight bar without ducking under it everytime? I was looking at my tower the other day and it looks like with a straight bar it would hit me sqaure in the forehead everytime I walked under it. It appears the factory hoop is angled upward to give some more head clearance.

That is a great point is the "Murphy" system proven to be better than the "Medallion" system? My '13 has been flawless as far as electronics are concerned.

I dont' think they will change the length. They already have a 22ft boat in the fleet and the VLX is already 21.5. Increasing this length would leave a substantial gap between the 20' VTX and the next larger model.

I expect the changes will be similar to the 2014 LSV. It is possible they will increase the beam to 102"--though I hope not. It would be ashame to make nearly every boat in their lineup the full legal width and provide the consumer little or no options when it comes to size. I don't want or need a bigger boat than the current gen VLX.

I would image all the malibu boat will get either an update to maliview (software screen options or hardware screen size) and/or an update to the tower. Both of these features haven't changed in some time, so I suspect something on these fronts will be revised for all boats.

Why would you not want a 102" beam vs. 100" beam? Its nothing drastically different but would open up the boat a bit more. Seems to be the new trend, T22 has a 102" beam, SC has 102" beam. I definitely can see 3-4" deeper of a boat coming for more storage and ballast. Plus its always a selling feature with deeper seating that peoples kids wont fall out of the boat as easily, especially in the bow area.

Info that I’ve been told is that the SC won’t get on plane as quick as a Malibu nor is the handling at Malibu levels. Seems they want to be Malibu but are taking pieces to imitate but missing the big picture. Interesting list of changes to the VLX.... :innocent:

Compared to the VLX or new LSV? The SC weighs 600 more lbs than the VLX, this would not surprise me one bit. And I agree, I heard there main steal from Malibu was the hull design and wake. Apparently the SC has a super clean wakeboard wake at all speeds with similar transitions and lip, similar to the Wakesetter and Axis series.

Compared to the VLX or new LSV? The SC weighs 600 more lbs than the VLX, this would not surprise me one bit. And I agree, I heard there main steal from Malibu was the hull design and wake. Apparently the SC has a super clean wakeboard wake at all speeds with similar transitions and lip, similar to the Wakesetter and Axis series.

Either model of Malibu.

It surprises me that people keep wanting bigger boats, yet it seems like the biggest concern I see to most is if it will fit in a 7' garage door. Boats get bigger, more freeboard, sits higher on trailers, towers, etc.

I think the grass is always greener syndrome applies to boats, especially when people like ourselves are so passonite about what we enjoy. The things that we may love about one brand, is exactly how owners of that other brand feels about Malibu. I'm sure there are mc owners that would love to get a g3 on their boat and vise versa.

And trav, do you really sorry about kids falling out of your boat?

It surprises me that people keep wanting bigger boats, yet it seems like the biggest concern I see to most is if it will fit in a 7' garage door. Boats get bigger, more freeboard, sits higher on trailers, towers, etc.

I think the grass is always greener syndrome applies to boats, especially when people like ourselves are so passonite about what we enjoy. The things that we may love about one brand, is exactly how owners of that other brand feels about Malibu. I'm sure there are mc owners that would love to get a g3 on their boat and vise versa.

And trav, do you really sorry about kids falling out of your boat?

Nope, but I always keep my eyes on them. Our rule is they must always have a hand on the handle.

I mentioned this because I think it's a sales pitch/tactic used on many buyers that come into a showroom with kids.