Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Supra SC 450/550

Fman

I thought the same thing, looks like an updated LSV.... that is what happens when you hire a bunch of Malibu peeps.

Any word on a surf system from Supra?

Edited by Fman

ajaqa3ub.jpg

What's the turn signal arm for on the steering column?

I find it so funny when people ask this. Its a trim tab adjustor or something on the likes. Centurions have them on both sides, one for the cats now.

Its for the wake plate , I just got an SA two weeks ago. I have always loved my Malibu's and never considered jumping ship on them but with the team Skiers Choice has put together the new SA is beyond good its great in my opinion. As I said above I have always loved Malibu's and never considered leaving the line but when looking at the MXZ vs the SA the Supra won by a longshot in quality and wake ( wakeboard only not surf ).I also think that it handles rough water better and had a some small features that I felt where very well thought out and more user friendly. If I had a family and surfed more than wakeboard I think the LSV would be my boat but we mostly wakeboard the SA is great at that.

Edited by 2008vtx

SA's are slick looking boats, but the dealer here wants a pretty penny for them. I'd be willing to bet they are around what Nautique will want for their G21. I know they wanted more for a SA450 than the malibu dealer wanted for a loaded 24mxz with the super charged engine at our boat show this past year.

I know the SA450 was a little spendy and was not in my price range. That is why I got the SA350 World Edition maybe its just me but up here in the NW the big engine upgrades seems to be really rare and not sure why ? Or maybe its because our boat season is only 3 months long and we can buy more coffee and a nice bike instead of that supercharged engine.... Either way I don't see them in the circles I run with but maybe they are out there ?

Its for the wake plate , I just got an SA two weeks ago. I have always loved my Malibu's and never considered jumping ship on them but with the team Skiers Choice has put together the new SA is beyond good its great in my opinion. As I said above I have always loved Malibu's and never considered leaving the line but when looking at the MXZ vs the SA the Supra won by a longshot in quality and wake ( wakeboard only not surf ).I also think that it handles rough water better and had a some small features that I felt where very well thought out and more user friendly. If I had a family and surfed more than wakeboard I think the LSV would be my boat but we mostly wakeboard the SA is great at that.

I had a 2008 22SSV, nice boat, but I could never get a clean wake under 22.5 mph with the 22SSV, it was really hard to wakeboard at slower speeds and achieve a clean wake. They are definitely stepping up there game... I have heard many good things about the SA, I saw it tow an INT event last season in Nor-Cal. Most of the riders had good feedback on it, not a "game changing" wake but good enough for advanced riders.

The only thing they lack is a surf system now, imo, the LSV/MXZ will produce as good of a wakeboard wake as the SA when properly weighted. If I were in the market for a pickle fork/23' boat I would have to go with the Malibu, if everything was a tie between the two, the surfgate would put Malibu into the game changer mode and give someone that much more flexibility. I guess this is coming from someone who has been using surfgate all summer, and cant imagine not having it on the boat... we wakeboard, but its so nice to be able to surf with such little effort and crazy ballast configurations.

• Like 1

Shane did a great job with the line up this year. I had the chance to ride behind and climb all over one of the new boats. It was AWESOME! The attention to detail is what Malibu used to be. Shane did slip that they have a surf system in the works. We couldn't get any more info out of him. When the man says I can, I`ll toss out photos if anyone wants them.

Game changer no ... IMO better wake than the MXZ yes , get out of the hole better yes , better finish YES. As far as surf gate ya its cool and I would want it on my boat when I'm changing diapers and cutting the crust off my kids sandwiches. But until then I want big ballast and that is what the SA does good for wakeboarding. I don't think any of the pickle forks surf amazing , and as I stated above we don't surf much. As far as SG being a game changer .... not sure I agree. Sliced bread , Electricity and Velcro are game changers SG is cool if you don't want to add weight and have a surf wake that is a little better than most. I thiknk SG is the way to go especially for families that don't want to mess with more weight. But the two surf gate boats I have been on have all been running bigger bags so would lead me to believe SG isn't a "game changer" maybe the ballast bag is ?......

Edited by 2008vtx

We went with the SA450 Worlds over the MXZ 22. I would agree with 2008vtx. The SA is just amazing to drive. The wake is right at the top of the list. As for the price the SA was about $5400 less than the MXZ optioned the same way with the upgraded trailer that comes with the Worlds package. The things people don't figure in are the standard GPS and the Zero-off cruise control. When you add that to the BU you are over 5k higher priced. So back out the $2500 for surf gate and your still about 4k less. The details in the boat and the performance compared to the MXZ are what made up our minds. I also liked the surf wake better, it is a bit taller and cleaner than the MXZ. The drawback on the SA is the 10 minutes it takes to switch sides with 750's but by the time you change riders the boat is ready to go. The MXZ has an overspray from the surf gate the does not affect the wake but it is not as clean looking.

Are they real sensitive side to side. That's what I love about Malibu/Axis is you don't have to constantly move people or weight around.

Edited by DatTexasBoy

From first hand experience I can say the the fit and finish of the SC/SA are at least as good as Malibu, some might say better. Wakes seemed to be up there too. We will see how their wake enhancing device stacks up when it comes out. I'm very impressed with the boats to say the least from the time I've spent in/behind/around them.

• Like 1

I haven't seen much weight sensitivity at all, with that said when the ballast is full I haven't seen any real gain either by moving anyone to the weighted side. One thing that I really like about the SA is that you can still see over the bow with full weight in the back when your pulling someone. We run with full weight in the corner which is a 200 hard tank and the 750 bag and no weight in the front. Dan Miller from Skiers Choice told me to try it that way and the surf wake is very clean and about waist high (I'm 6'0"). It was a tough choice between the SA and the MXZ as they are both wonderful boats. The SA just seemed to have more value to me than the MXZ. The one thing I do realize is the chance you take on resale value not being there if the SA doesn't move we'll in the market place. But I honestly believe that it is going to do very well over the few years which should help the resale value.

Game changer no ... IMO better wake than the MXZ yes , get out of the hole better yes , better finish YES. As far as surf gate ya its cool and I would want it on my boat when I'm changing diapers and cutting the crust off my kids sandwiches. But until then I want big ballast and that is what the SA does good for wakeboarding. I don't think any of the pickle forks surf amazing , and as I stated above we don't surf much. As far as SG being a game changer .... not sure I agree. Sliced bread , Electricity and Velcro are game changers SG is cool if you don't want to add weight and have a surf wake that is a little better than most. I thiknk SG is the way to go especially for families that don't want to mess with more weight. But the two surf gate boats I have been on have all been running bigger bags so would lead me to believe SG isn't a "game changer" maybe the ballast bag is ?......

With surfgate you forgot to mention how good the boat drives loaded with weight, people can sit comfortably in the boat, you can switch wakes immediately even while surfing...

I am running extra weight in both rear lockers. I can be surfing in less than 4 mins from empty ballast. Imo, yes, sg is a game changer for surfing. Saying the SA throws a better wake than a loaded MXZ is not accurate. It might be personal preference at this point, they both put out nice wakes. Supra basically duplicated the hull design from the MXZ. No surprise after Supra hired a few people from Malibu.

I feel for Supra, they are always a step behind. They finally cone out with a nice wakeboat to compete with the big 3 and then Malibu and CC come out with a surf system they cant compete with. I like the Supra build they are putting out, but it lacks a surf system which for me would be a dealbreaker.

We went with the SA450 Worlds over the MXZ 22. I would agree with 2008vtx. The SA is just amazing to drive. The wake is right at the top of the list. As for the price the SA was about $5400 less than the MXZ optioned the same way with the upgraded trailer that comes with the Worlds package. The things people don't figure in are the standard GPS and the Zero-off cruise control. When you add that to the BU you are over 5k higher priced. So back out the $2500 for surf gate and your still about 4k less. The details in the boat and the performance compared to the MXZ are what made up our minds. I also liked the surf wake better, it is a bit taller and cleaner than the MXZ. The drawback on the SA is the 10 minutes it takes to switch sides with 750's but by the time you change riders the boat is ready to go. The MXZ has an overspray from the surf gate the does not affect the wake but it is not as clean looking.

These are the funniest comments! How slow must people be to take 10 minutes to change surfers? It's not like your strapping in. It takes us 30 seconds to switch surfers, maybe 2 minutes if we're switching boards too. (one guy takes his jacket off jumps in the water, the other puts his on and sits in the boat)

Regardless I think the more appealing part of switching sides with SG is the convenience, more so than the time. I'm sure PNP style bags take a toll on this.

These are the funniest comments! How slow must people be to take 10 minutes to change surfers? It's not like your strapping in. It takes us 30 seconds to switch surfers, maybe 2 minutes if we're switching boards too. (one guy takes his jacket off jumps in the water, the other puts his on and sits in the boat)

Regardless I think the more appealing part of switching sides with SG is the convenience, more so than the time. I'm sure PNP style bags take a toll on this.

If I had to guess I'd say he was talking about draining the non-surf side 750 and filling the surf-side 750. Just a hunch...

If I had to guess I'd say he was talking about draining the non-surf side 750 and filling the surf-side 750. Just a hunch...

I get that, it was the "by the time you change riders the boat is ready to go" part I was referring too.

Well I think what I'm hearing is that we all bought really nice boats that fit our needs the best . Like i stated above I wakeboard 90% of the time and the SA PNP system was better than the MXZ in my opinion and boat was better in some areas . If I surfed all the time the LSV / 24/7 would be the clear winners in my mind . With surfing evolving like it has families are not just buying " wakeboard boats " they are buying crossover boats, surf boats and more and more people seem to be buying these boats just to socialize on. I hade a ton of fun boat shopping this season drove Tige , MC , Supra and looked at the Nautiques . Tons of cool stuff and think all this brands will continue to come out with really cool stuff.

You must have a Supra dealer willing to deal, and a Malibu dealer that won't. Here the SA450 was $97k. The MXZ 22 with LS3 and same options, plus surfgate, was $90k. If you factor out the surfgate option the SA is nearly $10k more. After spending quite a bit of time in it I did not feel the interior was better/nicer than the Malibu.

The Supra warranty also does not compare to the Malibu warranty. I do think it's a very nice boat, and I am sure the wake is great. I could understand the SA if it were $10k less than the MXZ, but certainly not for a similar or even higher price, especially considering the warranty differences. I can't imagine spending $97k on a boat and being out of warranty on nearly everything except the engine in just 1 year.

9357023741_8e91f3a383_b.jpg

Edited by Brett B