Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Priced a '14 A22 w/ surfgate-many questions now

ADDICTED2WAKE

Priced out a new axis a22 with SG, P&P, wedge, hi alt prop, and a few other small things. I've never been this serious about selling my boat now and getting a new one. So now I have many questions and research to do.

1) soliciting quick feedback on current surf wake on the a22 (obviously w/out sg). My hope is to be able to run w/ factory P&P but with min 750# bags in the back. My current surf wake is pretty decent w 900 in locker, 400 on seat, front tank full and 350 in bow. I'd like to just be able to hit buttons and not deal with extra bags everywhere.

2) my dealer said my boat is probably worth 38k in my condition (immaculate)-405 hrs, LCR, Titan 3, new custom stereo, LEDs all over, tower light, lots of ballast, wedge, speed control, etc. that price seems a little high although I hear the value of these has gone up recently. Anyone sell a similar boat recently?

3) what motor? 355 or 410. I'd be surfing 90% of the time. Either way I'd likely get the high altitude prop. Is it a must or would I typically be ok with the 355 (normally only have ~5 people with me). I'm trying to get a bare bones surf machine at a "reasonable" price.

4) z5 cargo rack-can it be folded up? Seems like it can't be. I didn't get to see it in person and salesman wasn't sure.

5) anyone know how the Sg operates on the axis considering it only has traditional switches?

My dealer said they should get their first one in by the beginning of aug so ill definitely be demoing at that time.

I apologize in advance if these have been covered already. I've been underwhelmed with the search feature on tapatalk.

• Like 1

I always was under the impression that the Axis hull CAN create a good surf wake, but it is not great no matter what you do to it. Have I misinterpeted that reputation?

Technically the tower can be folded, but it looks to be a PITA.

img_4249355_20130222133127142_1_LARGE_r.

I don't fully understand this move since your 07 should be as good as the axis and have more bling. Also, if you're that into surfing, you should be going for a surfgate or waiting for axis version of surfgate. Either way, good luck

Technically the tower can be folded, but it looks to be a PITA.

I don't fully understand this move since your 07 should be as good as the axis and have more bling. Also, if you're that into surfing, you should be going for a surfgate or waiting for axis version of surfgate. Either way, good luck

Yeah, I might not have made that clear. What I priced out included surf gate (in an A22). I'm wondering about the 'starting point', ie today's axis. I know (or at least believe) the SG will make that starting point even better. And I'm not concerned about bling (except for led lighting, if that counts) And regarding the folding, I'm referring to the z5 cargo Bimini, not the tower. I agree, the tower appears to be a pita.

Edited by ADDICTED2WAKE

you will need the 1235 to surf with 750 pnp, also people or a bow sac.

also you will want the 410 i demo'd mxz22 with and without and i much prefer the 410 its worth the money.

Rode with a bunch of people this weekend in my boat that were used to non-sg boats and they all wanted to cram to the side. i told them to sit where ever they wanted. one of the guys was in the market for a new malibu or mastercraft and the sg sold him on malibu as well as the wave.

the spray is annoying but by no means hurts the wave with my setup its just purely a visual thing. i also am working on new gates with a tighter tolerance between the boat and gate and a bevel also 3-4" taller.

the a-22 with a 410, SG, PNP750's, quad ballast will throw a great wave for beginner to advanced rider and its all push button factory no sacs to fill. you will be happy with it now just get on figuring out a color scheme

this picture is stock quad full 3 people in boat sitting where ever wedge up 1 click at 11.4 and about 200 pounds in each rear locker. post-21694-13727728118626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is a thread hi-jack, but regarding the MXZspray: I thought it was going to be a big deal and wrote about it in my 24 review. However, now that it's summer and 100 degrees in TX, myself and my passengers are actually liking it most of the time. It makes the wake looks a little bad, but doesn't actually affect it on my boat. I know others have complained that it catches their feet, but mine sprays more straight across the swim platform.

Regarding engine size, more is always better, but you have to weigh the cost. I'm went with the 400 on mine and I'm on the fence about whether I would have upgraded. We've been running 3400 RPMs with out setup, but last week I got more weight in the bow and the RPMs dropped back to 3000-3100 when the boat was more flat.

I own a 2011 Axis A22. I'll answer your questions as best I can.

1) The wake is insane. Truly insane. We have the full PnP, w/ 750s in the back, and an additional 700 lb bag in the bow. I'm at best an "intermediate" rider. Any more than that in the back and I would legit be scared.

2) I think that seems a little high, but not out of the ball park. I was looking at an 07 vride before i purchased my Axis. It didn't have the stereo, and was at the end of the season. Less hours. great condition. 35k.

3) I don't surf, so I can't answer your question specifically, but I will say we typically slam our boat to wakeboard (see above) and the 335 works just fine. Our "crew" is 3 guys and 3 girls. No real issues.

4) I don't have a z5. I believe it has "pins" that you can pull out? Paging Chatt?

5) Don't surf, no idea, but i'm always a bit nervous using the first model year of something.

I have been MORE than thrilled with my a22. its a 2011, which historically has some issues with the vinyl. Malibu and Gull Lake Marine in SW MI has done an AWESOME job keeping me happy. I really cannot say enough good about them. I'm coming from a Mastercraft at Action Watersports, which is widely considered a top 2 mastercraft dealer worldwide. Gull Lake has done JUST as good of a job, if not better.

• 1) soliciting quick feedback on current surf wake on the a22 (obviously w/out sg).

The A22 Surf Wave is nice. You have to put a lot of weight in the nose. On the pre-surfgate A22's, you'd have to cheat the weight on the surf side in the nose. I would fill the surf side rear ballast (1000lb bags, drop the wedge, fill the front, and throw about 500lbs in the bow on the surf side. I expect with surfgate, you can just put a bow triangle in the front and be good.

• 3) what motor? 355 or 410. I'd be surfing 90% of the time. Either way I'd likely get the high altitude prop.

People will disagree, but the 410 is not worth the upgrade. The torque specs where it counts for boarding and surfing do not justify the extra cost. If you are going to upgrade, go to the 450 ls3. The 355 can work, but you will want to run either the 1235 or the torque prop. If you only surf, consider the torque prop. However, your cruising rpms will be much higher. Will you burn enough extra gas to justify the motor upgrade - probably not. The ls3 really is an optimal motor upgrade for slamming the boat for boarding.

• 4) z5 cargo rack-can it be folded up? Seems like it can't be.

There are pins on the z5 that can be removed at the mounting points, wich allows you to drop the entire rack off of the tower. With 2 people, it's a snap. I'm not sure what people are saying about the a22 tower being a pita to fold. It's one of the easiest and most rock solid towers I've ever dealt with. It's really no harder to fold than a g3.

• 5) anyone know how the Sg operates on the axis considering it only has traditional switches?

I believe the Axis sg will be operated on a toggle, which will allow you to switch from side to side. I think it will work the same as how it works on a malibu - just w/o the touchscreen display. I'm speculating here...

Edited by Chattwake

For the A22, I'd definitely recommend the z5. It's really a great option. Plus, it's much much cheaper for the A22 than for the malibu. This is why I didn't get one this year. The A22 z5 is like 2k, but the G3 z5 is over 4k.

I don't know how the SG will operate on an axis but on my DIY project they run on a rocker switch similar to the old power wedge one, where you hold it and one deploys, 1 switch for each gate. Seeing how Malibu uses SG as an ON/OFF option, and discussing with MA controller for my setup I would speculate that the Axis will be a 3 option rocker switch similar to ballast switches where up is left, middle is none and bottom is right.

You will want the Acme 2315 prop. The 1235 won't get that boat on plane "slammed". I have experienced this with my buddies 11' A22 and my 11' A20.

New A24 w/ Surfgate, 350 motor, no stereo, PnP, chillax is right around 70k

The standard motor is really going to be the 350? I would have thought the 410.

Why? The 410 is not exactly a huge upgrade for wakeboarding/surfing? Also, Axis is trying to keep prices down. Forcing people to purchase the 410 is not consistent with that strategy.

I agree, but I was only thinking about the boats that size in the Malibus. They are standard with the 410. I don't think it is a cost effective upgrade either, but I can't justify the 450 either.

Dan, do you know the price delta between the A22 and A24? Thanks!

Edited by morrisdl