Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pop-Up Cleat Install

skiguy

I would like to install some pop-up cleats on my '98 Sunsetter. It looks like I have decent access under the rail in the cockpit area but I'm wondering how I gain access to the underside of the rail at the bow where the cushions (seat backs) are located. Can anybody give me some hints on how best to access and install cleats at the front of the boat?

Continuing the thought... What's up with Malibu shipping a boat without cleats? Are we never to tie our boat to something? Oh, I guess that's what the grab rails are for. Puhleez!! If anyone from Malibu see this thread I would like to respectfully ask that you provide good quality cleats and free installation of the cleats that should have been on the boat in the first place -- it's truly the right thing to do. :whistle:

All of the newer boats have cleats, but in the 90s and even early 2000s I can't think of many wake/ski boats that had cleats. I'm not sure why, must have been an oversight.....

Do you need cleats in the bow for your particular docking set-up? Typically, cleats are located at the widest points of the hull, although I have owned runabouts that had a single cleat installed in the center of the bow directly behind the nav light.

My factory/dealer installed cleats are located mid-ship and stern.

post-92-0-35373100-1371774144_thumb.jpg

That's a good point. I really want the cleat up front behind the nav light to tie off the anchor line. That location seems a bit more inaccessible because of the tight space. Cleats on either side of the bow are acceptable too and seem like an easier location. I could be wrong though.

Pull Up Cleats, like other items, are options. Malibu is a custom boat builder, allowing the customer to create a unique boat in options, power, color, and style. This is one of the great points of Malibu ownership. Smooth Water Sports has sold many boats ordered by customers specifically without cleats, as they had no need or use for them. So, just bear in mind that each customer is different, and a mfg that offers options to everyone, allows each customer to build it the way they want it.

Peter

Just curious. Why would someone order a boat without cleats? Especially the pop-up variety that stay hidden when not in use.

All of the newer boats have cleats, but in the 90s and even early 2000s I can't think of many wake/ski boats that had cleats. I'm not sure why, must have been an oversight.....

It's an option. Our boat has them.

Just curious. Why would someone order a boat without cleats? Especially the pop-up variety that stay hidden when not in use.

Because they cost money and some people cheap out on options - even inexpensive options.

It's an option. Our boat has them.

Because they cost money and some people cheap out on options - even inexpensive options.

But that seems dumb, of course you need cleats, thats like saying, do you want a drain plug? It will cost extra...Some things should be standard and be factored into the base price of the boat.

The ski boats of yesteryear were fairly spartan vessels - towboats, not wavemaking party boats. I still see plenty of comp ski boats that tie off using the pylon and rear eye hooks.

I've used this method on occasion, depending on dock cleat placement.

That's a good point. I really want the cleat up front behind the nav light to tie off the anchor line. That location seems a bit more inaccessible because of the tight space. Cleats on either side of the bow are acceptable too and seem like an easier location. I could be wrong though.

I always attach the anchor line to the bow eye, made especially easy using one of these nifty danik hooks from Slide Anchor.

post-92-0-53546300-1371834409_thumb.jpg

The ski boats of yesteryear were fairly spartan vessels - towboats, not wavemaking party boats. I still see plenty of comp ski boats that tie off using the pylon and rear eye hooks.

I've used this method on occasion, depending on dock cleat placement.

I always attach the anchor line to the bow eye, made especially easy using one of these nifty danik hooks from Slide Anchor.

I agree, the bow eye is an option I've considered. It's already there but it's not very convenient. You have to lean way over the front of the boat and reach back under to hook up. It's especially a pain when you go to unhook and there's tension on the anchor line. Unwrapping the line off a cleat is just easier and the best solution IMO.

But that seems dumb, of course you need cleats, thats like saying, do you want a drain plug? It will cost extra...Some things should be standard and be factored into the base price of the boat.

What do you need cleats for? Never had them on any boat and been fine. I will admit there has been an occasional instance where tying a bumper to it would have been nice, I guess depending where or how you boat.

I would add cleats at the windshield and storage locker. Easy access for both and great points to hang fenders. I would reinforce behind them to spread the load out a bit. I use the danik hook for my anchor and love it, but for anchoring the grab rail would also be easy to tie the line to although not as easy as a cleat.

I had a Nautique many years ago without cleats and made sure to get them on my next boat which was a Centurion (they were an option). It is a pain without them.

The seat backs in the bow likely have two bolts securing them to the hull. You will have to have really flexible arms to find them. It he forward bolt will need to be accessed from under the seat you might be able to get to the rear ones from under the observers seat and the helm. Once you get them off there is likely and access hole in the fiberglass where you could get to a cleat.

I just bought pop ups from the happy boater a set of 4 for 139.99 shipped 4 1/2 long on ebay. I am going to install over the weekend I had to make my own backing plate. I did call the company that made them and they said they do send them only on request . Gem Products inc 1(888.436.5891)

I have been looking for pop ups for the last year a friend has a 96 response with them and another friend has them on his new Larson they come in very handy . These were the cheapest I found and seem to be relly good quality for the price.