Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rank the Ski Boat Manufacturers

Afun

1. Malibu - reminds me of a Porsche from the early days to the present. Body style remains the same.

2. Nautique - a very close second

3. Mastercraft - bloated in price and bloated hull....but great quality

4. Axis - great value and styling

5. Tige - Best Improved....new boats look amazing

6. Supra - seem very big like Mastercraft

7. Centurion - the boats I have seen look to be built with great craftsmanship

8. Moomba - Value

9. Calabria - ?

10. Sanger - ?

Your thoughts....Your Rankings

Edited by Afun

Wait....there are "other" boats? In all seriousness though, each brand has something special they bring to the table. It just depends on what that buyer is looking for. I do believe, however, Malibu fills more needs in one boat than any other brand does in their whole lineup!

• Like 2

I believe Calabria used to be Brendella Boats until Mike Brendel left.

I personally think that #5, 6 are both very good boats. I have experience with both, and Supra is a very stout boat. Sanger also very stout boat.

Tie for 1st: Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique

Tie for 2nd: Supra, Tige, Sanger, (I would probably put Calabria here too)

Tie for 3rd: The rest (though I have no first hand experience with Axis, so I could be wrong)

Edited by DIE2SURF

That's pretty much lines them up. I've always equated Malibu, MC, Nautique, as the Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, of the ski boat world(not necessarily in that order).

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle

I'm a fan of MB sports newer models. I really like the gravity filled ballast system, although I think they need to improve upon it a little. I think those boats are great value for what you get.

I almost got one before I got my VLX actually but wasn't keen on the tower etc.. still a fan though

• Like 1

I have always thought Malibu, Nautique, Mastercraft were about equal in my preference Malibu being at the head of this pack.

I had looked at a Supra and it was an excellent boat, Tige was also a good one though used wood stringers for many years.

Moomba looks cheap and not very well appointed, for the price it seemed to be a good deal.

Ultimately, I bought a used (read very used) Malibu and restored most of it and found the Malibu dealers really helpful and great to work with.

I'll bite but I prefer this in Tiers:

Tier 1:

Malibu, Nautique, Mastercraft

Tier 2:

Tige, , MB, Supra

Tier 3:

Epic, Centurion,

Tier 4:

Axis, Moomba

Don't have much experience with these but that's the general idea I've gotten. I'm curious to see what others think.

I'm a fan of MB sports newer models. I really like the gravity filled ballast system, although I think they need to improve upon it a little. I think those boats are great value for what you get.

I almost got one before I got my VLX actually but wasn't keen on the tower etc.. still a fan though

...and I beleive MB is what Mike Brendel started after leaving Brendella...but I could be mistaken. Ialso have experience with MB for a couple years. Good boats. Would put them in the same category with Sanger, Supra easily.

It depends on what you want offered. I really liked NAutique/CC for a long time. But I looked at them at a boat show and while nicely finished and appointed, I didn't find thier boats to flow well on the interior. Always felt cramped, with only me on the boat. Checked out a Malibu and thought it was more open and spacious and ended up tracking down the 23 we have now. I'd say my XTI is not as "nice" as some of the Nautiques were that I looked at, but putting the best leather recliner in your closet really detracts from the comfort.

if you really want to make this thread interesting, everyone sould post their knowledge about how the industry has changed with all the spin-off companies that spawned from way back in the era of MC, Ski Nautique, Malibu Skier, American Skier, Ski Brendella, etc. I know very little about it, but I bet there was a lot of movement in the industry from back in the late 70's and early 80's.

I have to admit I knew NOTHING about inboards before I bought my Skier. I have some family in Orlando which is Nautique country so when I got into wakeboarding I set out to buy an older Ski Nautique. I couldn't find anything decent local and stumbled upon my Skier 30 mins from my house. It looked like a Ski Nautique so I bought it. I found this site a week later and the rest is history. I'll say because of this site I will probably never own another brand.

I've been in a new X-something and it was pretty sweet. Not my style, but pretty insane.

• Like 1

I was behind a Tige Z1 this weekend, had the waveplate shaper CVX hull or whatever that thing is. While I definitly would NOT reccomend this boat to anyone who wants to surf.... every other thing about the boat was impressive, and well thought out especially for the price. Not a fan of Tige graphics.

I think Tige is now in the top Tier.... and Centurion is at the top of the 2nd Tier tied with MB.

if you really want to make this thread interesting, everyone sould post their knowledge about how the industry has changed with all the spin-off companies that spawned from way back in the era of MC, Ski Nautique, Malibu Skier, American Skier, Ski Brendella, etc. I know very little about it, but I bet there was a lot of movement in the industry from back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Here is some...though I'm not sure of the source:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9531

I was behind a Tige Z1 this weekend, had the waveplate shaper CVX hull or whatever that thing is. While I definitly would NOT reccomend this boat to anyone who wants to surf.... every other thing about the boat was impressive, and well thought out especially for the price. Not a fan of Tige graphics.

I think Tige is now in the top Tier.... and Centurion is at the top of the 2nd Tier tied with MB.

I don't get nearly the exposure to different boats like some of you but I was at the centurion dealer the other day and was looking in and out of the newest enzo and I was very unimpressed. I mean it had some cool pattern matches and textures but the whole thing just looked cheap. Maybe it isn't and it just came across that way but really I was not impressed. I'd have thrown it exactly half way between our '07 malibu and an 07 moomba I've been in. And that is as brand new. Maybe that qualifies as top of tier 2, but I always thought there would be something else in between. Based off what i read I always figured that would be Tige and MB, of which I have never seen either.

I think the idea/impression that one has of a boat Mfgr has a lot to do with personal experience of that mfgr at that time in history, and what other companies/competition were offering during that same time span.

I remember when the industry leaders were MC and Nautique in the 80's. Then Malibu made a big run in the mid to upper 90's with several boat of the year awards (5-6 I think?) in Waterski Mag. However, I believe that these last 5-7 years has shown a HUGE industry swing regarding what is considered to be a good/comparable boat.

With that said, I am quite uninformed of boats in the past 8 years. In fact, I don't think I've even set foot in a boat later than 2004. Heh...

Just a suggestion, maybe the comparisons need to be broken up, one class for wakes and performance and the other for luxury, details, etc. No question in my mind Malibu makes the best all-around and consistent wakes across the line. Malibu interiors are tops for comfort, Nautique is top for design. Mastercraft? Sorry, but I don't see why they command such a price for their performance OR styling. MB has been the most impresisve "mover" in my opinion.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I think the idea/impression that one has of a boat Mfgr has a lot to do with personal experience of that mfgr at that time in history, and what other companies/competition were offering during that same time span.

I remember when the industry leaders were MC and Nautique in the 80's. Then Malibu made a big run in the mid to upper 90's with several boat of the year awards (5-6 I think?) in Waterski Mag. However, I believe that these last 5-7 years has shown a HUGE industry swing regarding what is considered to be a good/comparable boat.

That's a good point.

...and back in the day Centurion and Supra had a lot of market share too.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

honestly the fit and finish surfgate and wedge and electronics is the only reason i switched to a bu' from my centurion. and all said and done for 18k less i could of been in a 24' centurion that would out surf my 22mxz. but all around family/cruiser/wakeboard/surf/wakeskate/tube the bu is going to fit my needs better

honestly the fit and finish surfgate and wedge and electronics is the only reason i switched to a bu' from my centurion. and all said and done for 18k less i could of been in a 24' centurion that would out surf my 22mxz. but all around family/cruiser/wakeboard/surf/wakeskate/tube the bu is going to fit my needs better

Isn't that pretty much everything?

i guess i havent gotten my surf wave dialed yet and being thats what i do mostly my centurion will out surf my mxz but the bu is just so much nicer.

Isn't that pretty much everything?

Supreme, Epic and MB are all missing from the original list. So are Gekko and Pavati. :)

I have never seen any of those in person. I am sure they deserve to be mentioned.