Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"OOOHA!" Horn Install Question

Big_Moose_Wakesetter

When I bought my used VLX last year I found that the horn either made a very weak, muffled attempt at making sound when I pushed the button or often nothing at all. The previous owner told me that it had been replaced a year earlier so I tried re-connecting the wires but there was no improvement.

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing for 'junk' at Harbor Freight and saw a cheap Ooga Horn so I couldn't resist picking it up. I just opened up the instructions and it has a wiring diagram calling for the horn switch, 12 VDC w/ 30A fuse, and what appears to be another positive input (from the battery?) all going into a relay with the output of the relay running to the horn (which is also grounded from the other terminal of course. Here's a pic:

93d3a5c470fb1031ecf7e658cbd03673_zpsd671

Anyway, I searched for wiring info on the stock horn but couldn't find anything (kept getting results on Horn Loaded Compression Drivers instead). Perhaps I don't have to worry about a relay with the stock configuration or maybe it already has one. I believe the switches are already fused via the circuit breakers but I'm not sure how many amps they can handle - looking into that. It's been a while since I dealt with relays, but I think I have a left over one from doing a fog light project on an old car years ago.

Just looking for some advice or whether I should be able to just swap this right in place of my existing horn. If not, I need some clarification on that positive input into the relay on top of that diagram. Thanks!!!

Edited by Big_Moose_Wakesetter

i don't think "oooga" horns will work on a Malibu. The software is coded to prevent this.

Ha you joking? Not sure how that would even be possible...and I definitely saw a post about someone putting one in while searching on horn wiring.

On another note, I just did a little refresher-reading on relays and cleared up my understanding of the diagram. I now see that the thing at the top of the picture is actually the horn switch, connected to 87 on the relay and the relay's ground connection is right below "Pushbutton Horn Switch" on the diagram.

Now I guess the question is whether the factory horn draws more power than the horn switch & circuit breaker can handle (and would therefore already have a relay wired in) or not. Does anyone know for sure?