Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fort Loudon Lake, TN "THE WORST"

Afun

It was a floating lumber yard. That best describes this lake. I kept an open mind and went. All I ever heard was its Fort Nasty, it smells, etc... I went and had a horrible time watching out for logs, tires, and crap. I decided to tell my buddy on a jet ski next to me to turn around and end the day before something happens. Going slow back to the ramp this happens. All good no harm to the prop. Never again will I boat on this lake. It is so bad that I think the Tennessee Wildlife agency deserves a call. The sad thing about all of this is that millions of millions of dollars have been invested in lakeside property by many people. I say its time for a restoration project. Living on a smelly lake that's thrashed stinks.

8755207642_8452a2868f_c.jpg

Freakin Stick by Afun2011, on Flickr

NORRIS LAKE FOR LIFE!!!

Edited by Afun

It sounds like made bad decision....not the lakes fault.

If a lake had timber all over it and you had heard how bad it was...why would go on it?

Edited by Murphy8166

Tellico is clean, if you are looking for something in the Knoxville area.

I hear wonderful things about Tellico. I am looking forward to going one day. I hear you could cruise right by Malibu and Mastercraft factories.

Actually, the Malibu plant is on Watts Bar lake in Loudon. You have to lock through the dam which is no big deal. It's a pretty ride.

Actually, the Malibu plant is on Watts Bar lake in Loudon. You have to lock through the dam which is no big deal. It's a pretty ride.

Really...not Vonore?

You picked a bad time to test it due to lots of flooding in previous days. Not saying its the cleanest but it isn't that bad all the time. I live on Douglas which is super clean but its pretty bad right now from flooding.

You picked a bad time to test it due to lots of flooding in previous days. Not saying its the cleanest but it isn't that bad all the time. I live on Douglas which is super clean but its pretty bad right now from flooding.

My experience with Douglas has been excellent

The issue with wood/trash in the water is due to all the rain run-off this year. Two years ago Norris lake was much worse as there were whole trees and truck bed liners floating in the water. Point is, all the lakes can be bad depending on the rainfall amount. Not sure what TVA can really do about it. It will clear up in about a month. Tellico has typically less stuff floating around and is connected to Loudoun. As far as pollution, Loudoun is not as bad as you think. Here is a link to the heath of all the lakes in the area.

http://www.tva.gov/environment/ecohealth/index.htm

I feel ya man... We hit waterlogged tree that was underwater today (about 6" in diameter) and the front fin cut it / broke it off... I wasn't sure how much damage there was... Got out and thankfully nothing at all was damaged...

The issue with wood/trash in the water is due to all the rain run-off this year. Two years ago Norris lake was much worse as there were whole trees and truck bed liners floating in the water. Point is, all the lakes can be bad depending on the rainfall amount. Not sure what TVA can really do about it. It will clear up in about a month. Tellico has typically less stuff floating around and is connected to Loudoun. As far as pollution, Loudoun is not as bad as you think. Here is a link to the heath of all the lakes in the area.

http://www.tva.gov/environment/ecohealth/index.htm

Thanks for the link. Wow, Norris was really like that. It is such a beautiful lake. I will still have my reservations about Loudon. It also had a funky smell to it. My co-worker tells me he has GI upset after swimming in it. Tellico seems to be awesome. I will be going around June5th. The rain on the weekends has been unreal. Every weekend for the past month.

We call it Ft. Log... and I grew up on it. We drove up to Norris yesterday, and there were plenty of places you could have walked across it also. With all the rain, and the lake levels are up well above full pool you are going to have debris..... It will be gone soon, if it quits raining every weekend.

Do a little checking about the water quality and ecological health rating of Fort Loudon, and some of the other tva lakes. Ft. Log is cleaner than Tellico now, per tva published tests http://www.tva.com/environment/ecohealth/fortloudoun.htm.

I enjoy boating on Ft. Log during the weekdays..... weekends on our boat are spent else ware.

Not sure about the smell you are referring to. Guess I just don't notice it, but then again, I never do any watersports in Loudoun because of the boat traffic. If you want the best conditions for watersports, head to Melton Hill. It's 5 minutes away from Tellico and is fed from Norris. (Clinch River) It usually has very little traffic, no big boats, and is narrow which keeps the water calm. Just realize that it has quite a bit of wood floating as well due to the rain.

Edited by Tims

Not sure about the smell you are referring to. Guess I just don't notice it, but then again, I never do any watersports in Loudoun because of the boat traffic. If you want the best conditions for watersports, head to Melton Hill. It's 5 minutes away from Tellico and is fed from Norris. (Clinch River) It usually has very little traffic, no big boats, and is narrow which keeps the water calm. Just realize that it has quite a bit of wood floating as well due to the rain.

I wouldn't go to Melton Hill, Way to many Snakes!!!!! Not to mention I have heard there is nuclear discharge.

I agree with Tims. Melton Hill is by far one of the best watersports lakes in the area. I went to Melton Hill for years and never encountered any snakes. As for nuclear discharge, rumors like that are what keep it a lovely non-crowded destination. BTW, cell phones cause cancer so I wouldn't use one of those either;)

Where do you splash for access to Melton Hill?

I do not believe anything Tennessee wildlife publishes. I am not a fan. Head of TVA was giving a bunch of excuses why the lakes are the way they are on the radio the other day. I say this. If Florida could do a restoration project for the Everglades, TVA could clean up these lakes. Also, TVA needs to have some major oversight. Another bloated agency.

I used to put in at the Clark Center boat ramp. It was usually not crowded (unless there was a picnic or bass tournament). It's also past the riff raff of Solway. You can usually board or ski from the Clark Center boat ramp to the dam with very little traffic. There even used to be a ski course about midway to the dam.

I have been going to Melton Hill for 5 years and never seen a snake. I have actually only seen 2 snakes in 8 years. One at Loudoun and one at Norris.

I put in at the Melton Hill dam. Just drive down 321, go under the 40 and take a right at the dam/park entrance.

Nuclear discharge?? Really??? I will take my geiger counter with me next time. :lol:

Afun, if you don't trust the TVA data, you will have to stick with you nose. Give Melton Hill a sniff and let us know what you think.

http://www.soeks-usa.com/product/pocket-geiger-counter/

I've seen a fair amount of snakes near the lake at Norris but they're harmless. No water moccasins in Eastern Tennessee.

LOL, anyone complaining about how clean the water is in Tennessee lakes needs to take a trip to central Ohio. About the only differences between the lakes/resevoirs is the shade of brown.

On our vacation to Norris last year we did see warnings at the ramp about consumption of fish there. Since I hate fishing and not much of a fish eater it wasn't exactly an issue for me. I loved being able to swim in the water and seeing my feet...something you can never do here unless you are floating on your back and your feet are out of the water. Boat stayed so much cleaner too; a week sitting in the water produced less nasties on the hull than our normal day on the water here.

I have been going to Melton Hill for 5 years and never seen a snake. I have actually only seen 2 snakes in 8 years. One at Loudoun and one at Norris.

I put in at the Melton Hill dam. Just drive down 321, go under the 40 and take a right at the dam/park entrance.

Nuclear discharge?? Really??? I will take my geiger counter with me next time. :lol:

Afun, if you don't trust the TVA data, you will have to stick with you nose. Give Melton Hill a sniff and let us know what you think.

Researching that Marina site as we speak. Norris is an awesome destination for watersports or just to have a picnic on the water. Don't kid yourself, more nuclear waste in this area vs any other part in the country. Nobody really knows what's going on in the present day at the DOE.

On another note, do you usually wakeboard or surf on the main channel, or do you find a more isolated spot?

I agree that nuclear waste is handled up in oak ridge, but you are more likely to get cancer from second hand smoke than be affected by nuclear waste from Y-12. I would be more worried about pollution form the coal plants.

Anyway, I put right in at the dam, throw the rope out and go. Wake board, surf, and air chair right in the main channel. There really are no coves at Melton Hill.

And just a note: Wife and I took the Jet Skis out late Monday afternoon to scope out the water condition and Tellico is clean. Only a small piece of wood here and there.

Edited by Tims

Anyone that wants to ride today let me know. I don't care if I hit any logs as I am running a borrowed prop right now..... HA!

Norris does have it's fair share of debris right now. I was out this weekend and there were some widow makers floating around for sure.

Anyone that wants to ride today let me know. I don't care if I hit any logs as I am running a borrowed prop right now..... HA!

Norris does have it's fair share of debris right now. I was out this weekend and there were some widow makers floating around for sure.

Can you get rid of the debris before we get down there in a couple of weeks?