Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I drill the floor under observers dash

FastFreddy

I need to run wires and hoses from one side of the boat to the other. Instead of going around the bow can I just drill a hole in the floor under the observers seat and go through the ski locker? This would save a lot of hose.

I see there's a hole under the helm that accesses the ski locker. I'd do the same on the other side.

Has anyone done this.?

I need to run wires and hoses from one side of the boat to the other. Instead of going around the bow can I just drill a hole in the floor under the observers seat and go through the ski locker? This would save a lot of hose.

I see there's a hole under the helm that accesses the ski locker. I'd do the same on the other side.

Has anyone done this.?

That is the way my boat is set up, there is a hole forward of the ski locker door in the wall of the ski locker to under the observer compartment, and a hole next to the vent tubing in the floor in near the inside wall to the front of the observer compartment

That's how it was done in my boat when I bought it. Looks like whomever did the half-a** install on the crap stereo the original owner had put in when he bought the boat felt that was the best way to do it. I disagreed and pulled all that junk out and did it right. Luckily those holes won't go unused as I will be runnning some ballast lines through them. :)

Honestly, I'd go through the bow for any of the wiring. Hoses may be alright to go through the ski locker area.

I am plumbing in the front bow filler sac. The way I have it setup is that the pump is mounted inside the ski locker near the back. From there I'll use the drain plug to get water to the pump (brass valve and fittings, etc). From the pump I need to get to the observers side since I want it to fill and drain from there. The vent will be on the starboard side, near the driver with a check valve. This will let me know when the bag is full since it will overflow and then drain it completely with the reversible jabso pump.

That's my plan so far.

I just did exactly what you are talking about for my bow sac. You need to stay as close to the side wall, towards the center of the boat, as possible otherwise you'll hit foam. Trust me on that. Also need a long hole saw, or be ready to pry out some material and then drill some more.

I just did exactly what you are talking about for my bow sac. You need to stay as close to the side wall, towards the center of the boat, as possible otherwise you'll hit foam. Trust me on that. Also need a long hole saw, or be ready to pry out some material and then drill some more.

Ok thanks. I have some deep holesaws I was going to use. I'm 99% sure that when I stick my hand in the ski locker I can feel my other hand tapping in the compartment right on top. Maybe a small pilot hole is best first and measure. Thanks for the tip on staying near the centre of the boat.

Should be fine. But if you can see the garage floor after drilling then you've drilled too far.......

Nice! I drilled the hole last night. No garage floor, no foam, ran the tubing through it and looks good. I'll also use it to run some stereo wires to my new amps. Thanks for all the tips, it was a straight forward job. I made the 2.5" hole towards the bow and as close to the walkway as possible.

Nice! I drilled the hole last night. No garage floor, no foam, ran the tubing through it and looks good. I'll also use it to run some stereo wires to my new amps. Thanks for all the tips, it was a straight forward job. I made the 2.5" hole towards the bow and as close to the walkway as possible.

Did you use a 2.5" hole saw? Can you take a quick pic tonight? I'm probably doing mine on Friday...and I'm quite intimidated about drilling a hole in the floor!

Here are some pictures. Hopefully it gives you the idea. I used a regular bi-metal hole saw and it went through the glass like nothing. I still have to vacuum it up.

IMG_1093_zps54e17b07.jpg

IMG_1095_zps16483035.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy