Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate RFX 5000 w/Bluetooth install

2011VTX

Just completed the install/upgrade to the RFX 5000:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=428204

With bluetooth dongle:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=428205

And a Sirius antenna:

http://www.abt.com/product/32744/SiriusXM-SCC1.html

Extremely easy! The only mod I had to make was for both cables that connected to the headunit controls (I can't remember how they're labled but the cable looks like a S-Video cable) there are two of these that didn't fit together with the 5000. I had to trim the plastic on the pigtail from the RFX 5000 so the old cable woud seat properly.

Pairing was a bit of luck because my phone was asking for the code and I just happened to try 0000 after 1234 and it was a hit. Other than that I didn't see any info on what the pairing code was.

Works like a charm. Easy upgrade if Bluetooth connectivity is important to you.

post-18115-0-77409800-1367080085_thumb.j

Edited by 2011VTX

I'd like to make this look a little neater but I have a 11 month old and a 4 1/2 year old home with me today....trying to get it all done today so I can clean it this week and launch next weekend puts me on a tight timetable!

post-18115-0-23453100-1367080520_thumb.j

Edited by 2011VTX

@PKH: yes. The controls work just like its plugged in.

@Bama: The Sirius SCC1 plugs into a pigtail in the black box and then just have to run an antenna from the SCC1 unit. I'm still planning out the best place to run the antenna, but am leaning towards running it through the cup holder above the compartment or out by the speaker in the walk through.

I called Sirius 5x to get the 5 month for $25 promotion BTW, should be enough for me to decide if I like the Sirius service or if I'd prefer to stream it from my phone.

Its nice that you can change tracks, you can't do that with Malibu Bluetooth gateway thingy. That and the fact its a bit finnicky to connect to make me think this is probably the better route for folks...

Yes, I find the Malibu Bluetooth Gateway finnicky to connect to also. If the battery switch has been cycled between uses, then I always connect no problem. Otherwise, there is a good chance I have to power cycle the dash by pushing the power botton, then the bluetooth will connect on second try. There seems to be a sticky software bit somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...

I also just upgraded to the RFX5000 black box and the RFX3000 head unit. I installed the bluetooth dongle, but when I try to bring up the bluetooth screen there isn't one. It also seems like my menu button isn't working?? What am I missing in trying to get the bluetooth screen/ source up to connect??

2011VTX: I ran my Sirius antenna up through the stop where your center window flips open. I secured the actual antenna right next to it. Looks like something the factory would do.

Does anyone know if this will work with the RFX 2000 or 3000? I am pretty sure i have the 3000 but my manaul that came with my boat says its the 2000, but when I google it all that pulls up is a normal cd player.

This is in a 2010 vride.

• 3 weeks later...

2011VTX:

Great post! I would like to put this same setup in my boat (minus the Sirius) and it's a 2003 Sunsetter Lxi

Few questions for you:

1) Now that it's been installed a month or so what is your overall opinion of the unit?

2) Are you able to adjust the RCA output level for the subwoofer? Can you turn the subwoofer off? (The manual for this thing stinks, can't determine any of what's controllable.)

3) Where did you mount the remote? It's kinda big and I'd rather not have it out in the sun and weather all the time. My Sunsetter does not have much dash space. I'm wondering if I can rig up a velcro system or something like that where I can attach it to the dash and then undo it and store under the dash when not in use.

Thanks for the info!!!

I have a 2010 LSV, anyone know if this black box will work with the remote controller. I believe they changed the black box and controllers in 2011. I would be interested in this upgrade if I didn't have to change out the remote controls.

So as I understand this bluetooth unit will let you change tracks, will it also show the song info?

Thanks,

Kris

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about using the same setup. I havent been able to find any reviews. One of the internet sales sites lists it as discontinued... I was also wondering if it displau the artist and title when in Sirrius, USB, Bluetooth and FM modes? PICTURES of the RFXMR55BB remote in different modes...

Last question... how do you like the buttons on the controller... (factory pic below)

65339b.jpg

Questions for you guys installing this unit.

Do the remotes for the JBLMBB plug into this unit? This was the radio used in my 08 Sunscape.

How many remotes can you use or do they have a junction box?

Overall, how do you like this? I'm looking to upgrade my 08 JBL unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up needing a new BB and they gave me a rfx5000 to replace my rfx3000. I then bought the Bluetooth dongle since it was there. I dunno if I got a faulty BB or blutooth dongle, but this is the worst sounding Bluetooth connection I have ever heard. It's crackly on highs notes and just plain sounds bad. I have a milennia BT adaptor and its sounds light years better in comparison.

Anyone else notice this? Or maybe I just got a bad one ,BB or dongle. I do like the ability to use the remotes for track changes, volume ECT, wish the sound quality was up to snuff.

How do you like the 5000 and the ability to lock and unlike the remotes.

Also RF came out with a new H/U.... Chrome bezel looks identical to chrome bezels already in ten Bu's... Interesting

Edited by Murphy8166

Head unit? I dont see that, yesthey have a new transom remote, but it has better click type buttons insteadof the touch type.

I honestly havent tried locking the remotes. My transom remote is jacked up and doesnt work right anyways so I havent had the need to use that function. Thankfully the new BB has cured my problems with the stereo displays going blank , but still playing and not being able to turn it up, down or change tracks.

Ya, I wont be buying one. Its under warranty. Thanks though.

The face of that unit you posted is larger than the RFXMR5BB and you dont have the space behind the dash panel for a DIN mount chassis without major surgery.

Ya, I wont be buying one. Its under warranty. Thanks though.

The face of that unit you posted is larger than the RFXMR5BB and you dont have the space behind the dash panel for a DIN mount chassis without major surgery.

I meant that it might be an option for those who want to go back to a traditional head unit mounted in the opening by the throttle.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I swapped my RFX3000 with a 5000 and it all works again ... just a few 'adjustments' as 2011VTX documented..... Anyway, I plugged in the Bluetooth dongle, but I don't get 'Bluetooth' appearing on the dash pressing menu... I get all the usual AUX, AM, FM, SIRUS etc.... Isnt it supposed to appear as a menu item - thats what the manual implies anyway...

Lets say my BT dongle is crook, does the RFX5000 offer bluetooth in the menu even if the dongle is not plugged in, or does the dongle have to be plugged in and working to get the menu?

Appreciate any ideas....

Cheers

If I remember right, it is right after the Sirius and takes a couple of seconds to show. Power it up and check to see if it shows up on your phone to connect.

If I remember right, it is right after the Sirius and takes a couple of seconds to show. Power it up and check to see if it shows up on your phone to connect.

Mmm, does not appear after Sirius or appear on my phone even after a number of minutes