Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Vlx Best prop to use?

wake1923

Hey guys need a little Crew advise.I have a 2006 Vlx with the 340hp monsoon and sometimes we fill all the ballast and run the wedge down,but it seems like when we do this it is harder for the boat to plane out,also when we surf with the wedge down it is a real strain on the engine was wondering what prop would be the best to run on the boat to help with this problem not sure what size prop is on the boat right now.Thanks

If You're strictly Using Your VLX For Just Surfing And WakeboardinG. Then Yes Go With The acm 1235. If You Need A Good all Round Prop For tubing Cruising skiing Etc. I Would Recommend The Oj Five Blade

If You're strictly Using Your VLX For Just Surfing And WakeboardinG. Then Yes Go With The acm 1235. If You Need A Good all Round Prop For tubing Cruising skiing Etc. I Would Recommend The Oj Five Blade

How does it pull for barefoot/slalom? We're running a 537 now and noticed a nice difference from the stock prop that came on it in 04. We need the top speed to be 43-45 mph. No altitude. I haven't heard the nicest things about OJ props either.

Edited by jaciche

1235. It pushed tons of weight and I still had a top end of 45mph when I had mine (i have since had mine repitched to accomodate more weight)

If you plan to continue with just running stock ballast, you should be good with going up one bump to an Acme1941 or an Acme 1939 which you can get cheaper. If you plan to add much extra ballast, two bumps to an Acme 1235.

Where is the best place to buy a 1235??

Are Malibu boats mostly or all left hand rotation?

I think nettles was the cheapest new, $530.00. I scored mine used for 400.00 in perfect shapel

For those with the 1235 at low elevation, how is the fuel consumption? Performance without ballast? Guy at prop shop told me I need to use my stock prop back on when I go to lower elevations????

You may know this but FYI that boat loves about 500 up in the bow when you put a good bit of weight to it. 1235 is a great prop for that boat.

Wake 1923

You've got all summer in front of you to experiment. If you're buying the prop retail, buy it from someone that will let you demo. If you're just trying to have a little more power with stock ballast and the wedge; a 1235 might be a little overkill especially if you're tubing. if you're adding 1500+ lbs of sacks in addition to the stock ballast, 1235 is the answer.

From what I hear you saying I think you'd be very happy with a 1941.

We surf some to and the boat strains alot with the 537,and i normally have 8 to 10 people in the boat also plus me.When we add the ballast to the boat and the wedge with all those people[ ballast] it really strains the Mosoon so i do on a normal day have approx 1000 lbs extra.

I got me a good reconditioned 1235 today for a good price so i will give it a try if it isnt what i need i will try the 1941.

Let us know if you like it. May help others.

Ok guys took the boat out today with the 1235 prop on her.Had a issue with the ballast pumps so i did not get to wieght the boat down but the boat still ran around 40mph at around 4800 rpm.Plenty good on that end.The boat also seemed to drive real smooth,and have great accelration.Will get the ballast going and report back on a fully loaded boat.

I'm in the same boat so to speak... Sorry for the pun. 03 VLX with the 537. With a good load of passengers and full ballast, it struggles to get going out of the hole. I'm interested to hear how it works for you with full ballast.

I've also heard of going to a 1273, same as the 1235 but a .150 cup. Has any one out there tried this, and what'd it do?

Ice up here in MN is just clearing, so I have a bit of time to get set up for the season.... figured I'd ask.

Edited by h14_concepts
  • Like 1