Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best wakeboard wake for the $$

40oz

I will most likely be selling my boat at the end of this season. I would like to upgrade to a boat in the 30-36K range. In your opinion what boat produces the best wake for wakeboarding in that price range. I am very happy with my Malibu and would like to stay with the brand, but I am open to other suggestions. I am really banking on the fact that I will find an Axis in that price range before 2014, but not holding my breath.

Edited by JIMJOM

What "best" means can vary quite a bit from rider to rider. You will probably get a better answer if you provide a little additional info.

For example:

• Skill level
  • Preferred speed
  • Preferred rope length
  • Preferred amount of ballast (do you mind slamming a boat with 3,000lbs or do you prefer keeping the stock ballast)
  • Number of people in your crew
  • Preferred wake shape (steep vs rampy)

This should be a good start for people to give some objective opinions. Good luck on your search!

Thanks for the heads up, how about this?

• Skill level - Intermediate
  • Preferred speed - 21.3 mph
  • Preferred rope length - 65-70'
  • Preferred amount of ballast (do you mind slamming a boat with 3,000lbs or do you prefer keeping the stock ballast) I like 750lbs in rear locker and center ballast
  • Number of people in your crew - usually 3-4
  • Preferred wake shape (steep vs rampy) - I like a verty wake. I want to be bolted upward.

Axis A22 hands down. I've ridden and owned a bunch of boats, including an XStar, 230, VLX, A22, and I'm picking up my LSV tomorrow, I've also ridden behind tons of boats. IMO, the A22 wake is the best in the Malibu/Axis lineup. If you can score an older Axis in your price range, you'd be doing good.

Another question: What is the wake like behind a 23LSV? Just assume VLX wake but bigger because boat is bigger?

For surfing it is better. Wakeboarding wake is a little wider and not as lippy now with that said I never added more weight than in the VLX and it is a bigger boat. Also takes more weight for surfing.

Like Eric said you get ready to try the VLXs out just let us know.

For surfing it is better. Wakeboarding wake is a little wider and not as lippy now with that said I never added more weight than in the VLX and it is a bigger boat. Also takes more weight for surfing.

Like Eric said you get ready to try the VLXs out just let us know.

Let me know when and i will try to come down and bring my LSV. Baseball has me consumed until memorial weekend...

Also, your profile says you have a 2001 Wakesetter VLX. If you are looking for a different boat wake wise, stay away from WS VLX up to 04, and Vrides from 05-08, as these boats all have the same hull as you do currently, and thus same wake characteristics.

05-08 WS VLX and 09+ vrides are the same hulls, and are the newer model of your current hull.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really appreciate it.

Follow up question on pricing: When the heck did used boat values go back up? I am pretty sure that a year ago I was seeing 06-07 VLX for around 36K. Now they want 40K.

JimJom-

I am more into wakesurfing.... but had a 2011 247 and at 22mph with stock ballast and wedge set right it was straight ridiculous. Perfect, crisp knee high (Im 6'1") I broke more hearts of Xstar owners with that boat because to match what i had. they had to have sacs everywhere in the boat and they could barely plane. Also, spent decent time behind 23 LSVs and they are amazing perfect wakes also, i have a certified 2 black eye KO on a bad 15-20ft high landing... well moreso crashing behind a 23LSV. Power wedge is the key for the Malibus. It makes that much of a difference.

Now I have a G23 and I think the stock 22mph 247 wake is about the same.

I know you said maybe up to $40k.... but there are 2006-2008 247 RXIs??? direct drive versions.... exact same hull. Much cheaper price because of the weird cockpit layout, no big rear sunpad, its in the middle.... But, you get the big engine, power wedge, Malibu build quality, 247 hull and stock ballast in there and you have that exact same ridiculuous big crisp wake. Those can be had in the low $50s. There was a thread on here a few months back on them and all the owners of them report the same.

I hope this doesnt set this thread into flames, folks tend to get pissy when their boat isnt plugged as the best thing ever in the galaxy. My experiences.

Yea, I have a friend here local with a 2007 SAN 210 and he sacks it out when we ride. Wake is rediculous, but cant touch one of those for less than 50k. When you say older, do you mean 2001-2003? Those had a very verty poppy wake. Good thought, but would have to go PCM. I am an Indmar die hard lol.