Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saving an Square Windshield 'BU

Mechmaster

I just don’t understand that people can let their boat go like this. To me, its cheer stupidity! :Doh:

On another note, would be one heck of a project to take on to do a completed restoration

on this classic. Time time time…and money that all one would need!

That redefines the word "rough". Hope somebody rescues her. "Left behind by a tenant.." I bet it could be had for free. I would take it for free, what the heck!

Dang....that is one rough Skier. I'd struggle to throw a grand at it. I can tell you one thing, it's older than an 88'. He's got the year wrong.

Yes, wrong speedos and dash for '88. I've never seen a PCM in an '88, but I could be wrong there.

If someone did all the work themselves, I estimate 9K to get it where you should be (@ 3k for motor and trans rebuild, 2K for interior, 1K to fix the trailer, 2K for stringers and floor, and 1K for misc). It would have to be a labor of love.

:cry:

I know, I know, but sacrificing one for the good of many...

I agree. Either one...just not this slow, sad death. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked this beauty up, gonna do a complete restoration on it, get her going for next summer.

Make sure to post pictures as you progress.

Good luck, document it and post the pics, you may become a rockstar on this site! Talk softly to the boat at first until it knows you aren't going to neglect or abuse it then treat it well, clean 'er up and she'll be loyal forever!

I will be sure to post lots of pics, it's gonna be lots of work, but these older 'bu's are just so cool, and in Vancouver B.C. they are quite rare. I will definitely need some help with parts, there is a ton of knowledge on here though, great site.

• Like 1

Way to go Steve. Will be great to see an old Skier saved. You're right, they're fantastic boats....nice lines, lots of balls/power, good drivers, etc. An old Skier in really nice shape is a very sweet boat, kind of like an old corvette split window coupe is a sweet old ride...simple, big engine, nice lines, classic.

• 2 weeks later...

So I started on stripping down the boat today, it is rough, but what I had expected. All the seat frames and bases are totally rotten, the floor has many soft spots in it, my knee nearly went through the floor under the drivers seat once I took it out. Electrical is all hacked up, but the steering rack, cable, and throttle and shifter cable all slide nice and smooth, they look like they've been replaced. Also both the speedo's work, which I'm stoked about.

A few of the things I think I may have a hard time finding are; part of the windshield frame from the drivers side, it looks like a tree fell on it and its all busted up. I was thinking of just replacing the whole frame/glass with new stuff but if somebody could point we to where I might be able to get parts of the frame that would be awesome.

Also it needs a new rudder, this one is broken, and the box is all worn out, I've read the thread on replacing it with a new style one, anywhere to get one other than SKIDIM or places like that, I'm on a budget so I'd like to avoid buying a new assembly unless I have to.

post-21878-0-86796300-1370580186_thumb.j

post-21878-0-82216500-1370580231_thumb.j

post-21878-0-84518900-1370580668_thumb.j

Wow, you've got your work cut out for yourself... Good luck, that windshield frame may be your downfall... Look around this site, there were a few people parting out older boats that might be able to help you.

That redefines the word project! But at least there are some good points to it that you noted.

Windshield - I would take the whole boat, as is, to someone in welding/fabricating. Have them duplicate the windshield frame. Shouldn't be too hard since the passenger side appears intact. Have them frame up a new windshield out of aluminum with the top of the frame detachable, with the idea that you will install plexi. Probably $300 total, or less.

If you don't care about originality, you can adapt a newer windshield and update the look a bit.

See here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38746-malibu-skier-windshield-mod-w-pics-need-advice/

5dbcc922.jpg

Something like this might work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curved-boat-windshield-only-seaswirl-190se-LX-window-walk-through-sea-swirl-/330811029475?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4d05dfb7e3&vxp=mtr

It would look pretty good IMO.

Edited by Mechmaster

Maybe a 3 piece that would fit a Sportster or Response would work?

Sportster would probably work because the windshield bottom is flat all the way back. On the Response and Echelon the rear corners have a reverse angle where the windshield and top hull cap meet. Would be tough to make look good.

Echelon and Response:

post-12034-0-53622500-1370638703_thumb.j

Sportster:

post-12034-0-98814100-1370638763_thumb.j

Would be closer to fitting width-wise than the newer windshield that Mechmaster used (little or no cutting the center section down), but his sure does look nice!