Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saving an Square Windshield 'BU

Mechmaster

Thanks for that tool idea DMC, looks really easy to make and gets the job done.  I'll have to sacrifice an old pair of vise grips. 

12 minutes ago, 2014Skier said:

Thanks for that tool idea DMC, looks really easy to make and gets the job done.  I'll have to sacrifice an old pair of vise grips. 

No prob.  I had actually forgot about it until you posted so went to our local 4x board and robbed the pic from his last build thread.  A set of bigger channel locks can work too and aren't so hard on the hands but lack a "return spring".  I am looking for a set of someone's throw aways at a garage sale or something.  For really big stuff (diesel stuff) we just use a bead roller. But has to be 3" or bigger to really make it work.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, 2014Skier said:

Here is a pic of the 'Bu in the marina at out place on Okanagan Lake, with my older daughter standing behind it.  One memory that will forever be burned in my brain is her and I sitting on the swim platform kicking our feet splashing each other, and she turns to me and says "Daddy, your my best friend", I damn near shed a tear, made the three years of work worth it right there.  

Mila and Malibu.jpg

That's great!  I almost shed one myself.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

That's great!  I almost shed one myself.  

I did shed one.  

I got to spend this past weekend with my little girl.  She is 21.  

Enjoy these times; they grow up fast

Congrats!  Came out sweet.   Knew that thing was gonna scream.   That first, "ring-seating" ceremonial run must have been fun.  Lots of good projects in this project!!!!

• Like 1

Boat looks great! Congrats on the restoration.

Hope you don't mind my reposting this pic from early in the thread. The transformation is amazing!

post-21878-0-84518900-1370580668.jpg

• Like 3

That is great news that you got it up and running.  And also great on the daughter!  I remember once talking to one of my boys when he was 10, about rejection, being cool or not cool, what is important in life, being yourself, etc.  I told him I was not a cool guy, but a content and honest guy, which is much better.  He replies with a serious face and tone "Dad...you're the coolest guy in the world".  It about knocked me over emotionally.

If you could get an after pic at the same angle as that first pic (like from where your daughter was standing) that would be an amazing comparison!

35 minutes ago, John I. said:

Hope you don't mind my reposting this pic from early in the thread. The transformation is amazing!

Very appropriate...awesome job, Duke!

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats, man!  What a build! I hope this post finds you enjoying your summer, I checked and shes 31 deg c in the Okanagan today.  We are headded that way next summer,  Ill keep an eye out for you and buy you a brew if we run into eachother.

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2016 at 11:07 PM, 2014Skier said:

I also got the drivers seat base in, its bonded with 3M 4200 and then screwed into those aluminum and fibreglass mounts that I made, it'll swivel and slide so I can swing it around if we are just chillin' on the water.

First I must give you props on the amazing work!!! I am breathing new life into my '87 sunsetter this off season... my dad bought it new as a demo and we've had it ever since. What model is the swiveling/sliding driver seat base that you used? Also, did you incorporate a flip-up bolster into the seat itself?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Snydco,   

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this sitem in a while.   The seat base I got from Great Lakes Skipper, not sure what brand it was.   As for the seat, it's an Attwood Avenier Sport seat, it does have a flip up bolster on it.  

The flooring is like Decadence, as in its vinyl loop mat, but its not Decadence brand, just some generic stuff I got on-line.  It feels fine on the feet, drains water, doesn't stain and cleans really easy, and only cost around $200 USD for the whole floor. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
13 hours ago, 2014Skier said:

The flooring is like Decadence, as in its vinyl loop mat, but its not Decadence brand, just some generic stuff I got on-line.  It feels fine on the feet, drains water, doesn't stain and cleans really easy, and only cost around $200 USD for the whole floor. 

Did you make it so it is removable? And do you mind me asking where you got the material?

Yes it's removable, it's two long strips that are split down the middle of the boat, you can't even see that seam.  It's easily removable, just open the dog house, roll it up and pull it out.  The stuff I got is in the link.  

http://www.mattingexperts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MTG140

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...