Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transom stereo remote?

VLX_Fixation

has anyone added a transom remote before? looking for one for my 2007 VLX and was wondering which one you guys are using...? any advice and/or pointers is greatly appreciated. thanks

Whatever you do don't install the one that comes standard on newer Malibus... the RF one I think its RFXMR7. It will activate any time any water splashes on it or anyone barely brushes by it. I unhooked the one on my last boat, new boat didn't order one.

• Like 1

Whatever you do don't install the one that comes standard on newer Malibus... the RF one I think its RFXMR7. It will activate any time any water splashes on it or anyone barely brushes by it. I unhooked the one on my last boat, new boat didn't order one.

That right pkh, Malibu is installing the RFXM8 now.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=484211

Edited by Dare2goBare

has anyone added a transom remote before? looking for one for my 2007 VLX and was wondering which one you guys are using...? any advice and/or pointers is greatly appreciated. thanks

Remotes are typically propitiatory and not universal, especially those with LCD screens. For that reason, you will most likely need to go with a compatable model that is the same brand as you head-unit.

Small hijack. Can I replace my RFXMR7 with the new RFXM8? Hopefully is would just plug and play and work with my factory rockford on my 11' VLX.

Yes I would think so. I would Fire off an email to RF to confirm.

Not ment to hijack.

If anyone needs a transom remote for an Alpine HU I've got one I'll let go pretty cheap. I chose not to add the remote to my new (to me) 06 Vride. It's in great condition. Eventually I replaced the Alpine in favor of a Pioneer unit.

I did a full how-to write up on the transom remote install, but it got purged when TMC purged the stereo forum last year. :(

Here are a couple pics of my Alpine MC10. Check eBay, these things can be had cheaply (I think I got the MC10 kit for about $90 and a 2nd MC1 remote for $20, all brand new). No need to go to the MC20 unless you have the 1 deck Alpine sells that does dual-channel audio.

I installed mine as far towards starboard as I did (and not on the port side of the transom) for a couple reasons.

- Being that far over has helped prevent people bumping into it

- Most people are right handed, so starboard side makes more sense

- To get high enough, it is in the right position to simply put your left arm on the swim platform and use your right hand to run the controls...you can use your left arm to elevate yourself if needed.

- Above the rub rail to ensure it is not getting blasted with water constantly.

It may not be in the most typical spot, but it is where I found it to be the most functional. Many people don't put it as far over or in the center if they have the space.

dsc03042m.jpg

dsc03039d.jpg

dsc03799u.jpg

I added a Sony RM-X11M to my 2001 Wakesetter LSV. It only requires a 2 inch hole instead of the larger 3 inch for some of the newer remotes. I just couldn't bring myself to drill the larger hole. I love mine, best addition i ever did.

I added a Sony RM-X11M to my 2001 Wakesetter LSV. It only requires a 2 inch hole instead of the larger 3 inch for some of the newer remotes. I just couldn't bring myself to drill the larger hole. I love mine, best addition i ever did.

Alpine also only requires a 2" hole.

• 1 year later...

Bought our 2008 VLX a month ago and we have the JBL with xm unit. Do you know if the boat was suppose to have a remote pod in rear seating? We saw there is a cut out for it but seems to not be anywhere in the boat. I not sure what models came with what.

I just installed one myself that did not come OEM.

One bit of advice... drill the smallest tiny pilot hole prior to going bonkers with the 2" hole bit. Then when you do, drill backwards with the 2" bit and it"ll look great.

I measured like 15x extraoplating where I thought the pilot hole would end up on the inside... I swear I'm not retarded but the pilot hole was roughly 1" off... barely caputued it within the 2" diameter of the larger final bit. All turned out great, had I not used a 1/32" pilot bit and adjusted the final big hole off that, I'd had had issues.

tiny pilot hole first!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Great advice from nyryan2001 I have found even start your pilot holes w drill in reverse in the gelcoat until into the glass then forward and ya get clean holes w no chipping. You can bevel/countersink holes w same reverse technique. Gotta love the crew for good advice and help, this site is great, kudos to all of us :cheers:

Edited by h2ojunkie

If anyone needs a transom remote for an Alpine HU I've got one I'll let go pretty cheap. I chose not to add the remote to my new (to me) 06 Vride. It's in great condition. Eventually I replaced the Alpine in favor of a Pioneer unit.

. Do you stil have the transome remote or recommend one? I just bought an alpine HU just curious if any alpine transome remote will work?

. Do you stil have the transome remote or recommend one? I just bought an alpine HU just curious if any alpine transome remote will work?

Just an FYI, Alpine stopped producing marine head-units and remote going on 2 years now.

• 5 months later...

I just installed one myself that did not come OEM.

One bit of advice... drill the smallest tiny pilot hole prior to going bonkers with the 2" hole bit. Then when you do, drill backwards with the 2" bit and it"ll look great.

I measured like 15x extraoplating where I thought the pilot hole would end up on the inside... I swear I'm not retarded but the pilot hole was roughly 1" off... barely caputued it within the 2" diameter of the larger final bit. All turned out great, had I not used a 1/32" pilot bit and adjusted the final big hole off that, I'd had had issues.

tiny pilot hole first!!

Hey I know you have a new malibu, was the boat pre wired for the transom remote or did you have to run the wire. If you had to run it, where did you connect it?

• 2 weeks later...