Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

365HP Hammerhead Vs Monsoon

cyclone18

Hey guys, as i posted the other day i have just purchased a sunsetter lxi with a 365 hammerhead in it.. i have read several times that the monsoon is the better way to go, what my question is, what makes the monsoon a better motor? reliablity, power, economy? is there any hammerhead issues that i should be aware of? any help is much appreciated.

The 383 hammerhead is the "stroker" version of the 350 monsoon. It's the same block just a longer piston stroke. It's a high performance engine and it requires tighter tolerances and must be balanced internally and externally. I know lots of guys that have a 383 in their cars with no problems. For some reason it sounds like Indmar had issues with some of the 383's and not others. I do know that it's a low rpm torque monster that is great for wakeboarding and surfing. The Monsoon is a great engine because they've been making so many for so long that there is just no problems that haven't been solved anymore. I don't know of any issues you should be aware of. Good Luck

edit: if the Mercruiser 350 in my boat ever blows up I'm going to turn it into a 383 Stroker!!!

Edited by dtrost27

The 383 hammerhead is the "stroker" version of the 350 monsoon. It's the same block just a longer piston stroke. It's a high performance engine and it requires tighter tolerances and must be balanced internally and externally. I know lots of guys that have a 383 in their cars with no problems. For some reason it sounds like Indmar had issues with some of the 383's and not others. I do know that it's a low rpm torque monster that is great for wakeboarding and surfing. The Monsoon is a great engine because they've been making so many for so long that there is just no problems that haven't been solved anymore. I don't know of any issues you should be aware of. Good Luck

edit: if the Mercruiser 350 in my boat ever blows up I'm going to turn it into a 383 Stroker!!!

Except he isn't talking about the 383 Hammerhead. The 365HP Hammerhead is the 350ci motor from 2001-2002.

I don't know anything about it, but I would assume it is the same shortblock as the Monsoon with different heads/intake/tuning. The reliability issues you hear about stems from the 383 Hammerhead and even then I think it is made out to be a much bigger deal than it is - and is partly to do with Indmar shipping the motors originally with an incorrect dipstick causing the motor to be short on oil. At this point if the 383 Hammerhead isn't having an issue it is probably okay (Malibu using this motor from 2005-2009), so even the newest of them is 4 years old now and has likely had enough hours to discover any issues.

Except he isn't talking about the 383 Hammerhead. The 365HP Hammerhead is the 350ci motor from 2001-2002.

I don't know anything about it, but I would assume it is the same shortblock as the Monsoon with different heads/intake/tuning. The reliability issues you hear about stems from the 383 Hammerhead and even then I think it is made out to be a much bigger deal than it is - and is partly to do with Indmar shipping the motors originally with an incorrect dipstick causing the motor to be short on oil. At this point if the 383 Hammerhead isn't having an issue it is probably okay (Malibu using this motor from 2005-2009), so even the newest of them is 4 years old now and has likely had enough hours to discover any issues.

Well said.